Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Help from people in Perth Please ...

Help from people in Perth Please ...

Old Dec 3rd 2004, 8:05 am
A Bored of waiting member

stephenwhite68 will become famous soon enough
Default Help from people in Perth Please ...

Can you help with a few things?

1) We need to sort Medicare, where do we go ?
2) We need to sort out Tax file numbers, how do we do this ?
3) do UK modem cables work in Oz or do we need an adapter ?

Just a few of the many things we need to sort out ...

Blimey not long now ..

S
Old Dec 3rd 2004, 8:24 am
Go Banana's !!

Default Re: Help from people in Perth Please ...

Originally Posted by stephenwhite68

Blimey not long now ..

S
Right then - this one I can help with, see I'm not just a stream of drivel!!

1. Medicare - the one I used is at the Gallaria shopping centre Morely, it was next to the pet store where I bought Smudge, but it's now upstairs above Myers.

2. Tax File Number you can do on line here www.ato.gov.au

3. We got a whole new modem with cables etc, so I don't know about that one.

Points worth mentioning.

1. You don't register with medicare until you have been here more than 11 days and you need your tax file number.

2. Medibank IS next to the Pet Store in the Gallaria, but you can't register with that until you have registered with Medicare

3. Don't forget to register with Centre link - the nearest one to me is Mirrabooka, but there are a few around.

4. Where ever you go take all the ID you can, passport, birth certificates etc etc.............

Good luck

Jill

Old Dec 3rd 2004, 8:25 am
BE Enthusiast

Teresa is a jewel in the roughTeresa is a jewel in the roughTeresa is a jewel in the roughTeresa is a jewel in the rough

Blimey not long now ..

S
Hi there

You can't do medicare without your tax file number, when you have it go along with passports to any medicare office, you need to wait 10 days after you have landed for them to have your details on computer system
http://www.hic.gov.au/yourhealth/where_to_find_us/

Tax file number you can apply for online, mine took a week, Graham already had his from working here previously.
http://www.ato.gov.au/individuals/co...tent/38760.htm

no idea about cables, sure someone will help out there

Have fun

Teresa
Old Dec 3rd 2004, 8:26 am
BE Enthusiast

Teresa is a jewel in the roughTeresa is a jewel in the roughTeresa is a jewel in the roughTeresa is a jewel in the rough

is your brain attached to mine Jill lol...... great minds think alike and all that stuff
Old Dec 3rd 2004, 8:49 am
BE Enthusiast

darkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant future

1. You don't register with medicare until you have been here more than 11 days and you need your tax file number.
Hi Jill,

Do you know whether this wait is required if you have already made a visa validation trip? I am guessing that the details must get put on the system upon first entry to the country and therefore we will not have to wait, but just wondered if you (or anyone else) knows for sure

Cheers
Dave
Old Dec 3rd 2004, 8:58 am

Originally Posted by darkless
Hi Jill,

Do you know whether this wait is required if you have already made a visa validation trip? I am guessing that the details must get put on the system upon first entry to the country and therefore we will not have to wait, but just wondered if you (or anyone else) knows for sure

Cheers
Dave
New i could rely on you guy's
Thanks i will get me tax file number as soon as we land and then do the medicare stuff ...

What is the medibank ?

S
Old Dec 3rd 2004, 8:58 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by darkless
Hi Jill,

Cheers
Dave

not Jill but your details are registered as you've validated visa so no wait although will you have your tax file numbers then?

Teresa
Old Dec 3rd 2004, 9:01 am
BE Enthusiast

New i could rely on you guy's
Thanks i will get me tax file number as soon as we land and then do the medicare stuff ...

What is the medibank ?

S

its your private healthcare, should you wish to use it, like bupa, it is one of many private companies but prob the most recommended, in my experience

http://www.medibank.com.au/

will give you idea on costs for various levels of care

Teresa
Old Dec 3rd 2004, 9:02 am

Originally Posted by Swifts
its your private healthcare, should you wish to use it, like bupa, it is one of many private companies but prob the most recommended, in my experience

Teresa

Thanks

S
Old Dec 3rd 2004, 9:04 am

Teresa
Just out of interest is there anything i have forgotten i will need to do when we land ?

Thanks for all the help

S
Old Dec 3rd 2004, 9:19 am
BE Enthusiast

Just out of interest is there anything i have forgotten i will need to do when we land ?

Thanks for all the help

S
you sound very geared up, presume you have a place to stay and bank accounts open then relax and fall into the Perth way of life

Teresa
Old Dec 3rd 2004, 9:34 am

you sound very geared up, presume you have a place to stay and bank accounts open then relax and fall into the Perth way of life

Teresa
Yes all that has been dealt with ...

thanks for all the help

Roll on the sun !!
Old Dec 3rd 2004, 10:03 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

It could depend on the type of visa you have as I obtained Medibank 2nd day here. Did not have a tax file number (TFN) and still don't have Medicare.

Tell your bank your TFN as without it they use a default tax code which may mean they charge wrong rate on any interest you earn. We have a joint account and gave them both TFN's even though I am the only one working.

Don't forget to sort a Superannuation fund (pension).

Yes, take ID anywhere you may need a service or buying.
For example you need it for buying a car, buying a mobile phone, and opening a DVD/video rental membership.

BIX (not from Perth)
Old Dec 3rd 2004, 10:35 am
BE Forum Addict

Larissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond repute

We got medicare about a week after arriving, but have only just done our tax file numbers; so you can do it without. Our hosts dragged us out to the medicare place in a mall (I was heard to complain that it wouldn't work, we hadn't been there long enough... ) and it was all sorted no problem!
Take it easy and don't stress, all these things are easily sorted when you get here. Just make sure you can get internet access easily and you can get on Expats quick!
ATB
Larissa
Old Dec 3rd 2004, 10:39 am
BE Forum Addict

Larissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for all the help

S
Might be a bit like telling your grannie how to suck eggs... but
Make sure you can access your dosh over here and that you can withdraw large amounts for deposits etc. You will go through your money more quickly than when you go on holiday etc.

Also make sure your wife/partner knows when the next Perth ladies coffee morning is!