Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

help!!! oz tax return

help!!! oz tax return

Old Jul 11th 2005, 9:58 am
Forum Regular

Amber Nectar is on a distinguished road
Default help!!! oz tax return

Anyone know if I will need to do a oz tax return this year, I have only been in the oz tax system for 6 weeks prior to the end of the oz financial year. Also, if I do need to do a tax return will I have to disclose my income from the UK prior to my permanent move to oz.

Thanks

AN
Old Jul 11th 2005, 10:13 am
BE Forum Addict

Kiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: help!!! oz tax return

Any income anywhere in the world prior to your move to Oz is irrevelent to the Oz taxman. He is only interested in any income since you became resident.

If you obtain the Tax Pack on page 2 it asks a number of questions to determine if you need to lodge a full tax return or just a non lodgement advice (page 4).

When I first arrived it was in April which I thought was the new tax year in Oz (wrong) and I just submitted the non lodgement form in July and they accepted it. I now do full tax return every year.
Old Jul 11th 2005, 10:40 am
Banned

mutant is just really nicemutant is just really nicemutant is just really nicemutant is just really nicemutant is just really nicemutant is just really nicemutant is just really nicemutant is just really nicemutant is just really nicemutant is just really nicemutant is just really nice

Funny you should mention this, I don't get on here much now but had a look in to see if others we're having trouble with the Aussie tax man.
I have just completed my return using the E-tax thing and it was pretty straight forward, the mimbo jumbo is a bit of a pain in the arse and WTF is that medicare levy section all about?

I suppose it will all come out in the wash and I am going to lose no sleep over it.

See you around fellow Aussie tax payers.
Old Jul 11th 2005, 11:01 am
ABCDiamond

ATO Website: Do I need to lodge a Tax Return ?
As an individual, you must lodge an income tax return if:

you paid tax during the year
your taxable income exceeded certain amounts, which vary if
you are eligible for the senior Australians tax offset or the pensioner tax offset, or
you received a Commonwealth of Australia government allowance or payment
or

certain other conditions apply to you.
Full details and links on the above website.