Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Help over Emigration

Help over Emigration

Old Nov 13th 2005, 9:15 am

hutchy59 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Help over Emigration

Hi everyone,
My wife and I are condidering emigrating to Western Australia, I,m a welder by trade and Australia is crying out for good tradesmen. But the problem is my wife and I have a few concerns about going over there, our first worry is how much is all this going to cost us we dont want an exact number but a rough idea would be helpful.
Our second concern is my age I'm 46 we are phoning the South Western Development Comm tonight to see if we can get round this problem some people say yes its OK others say noway.
Our third worry is the medicals I have an ear problem which I have had since I was a child some call it Glue Ear, it happens about once a year I get discharge if I get a heavy cold sometimes not. We are worried that I would be knocked back because of this.
Our last problem is they ask you if you have 12 months employment in the last 18 months, at the momment on Tyneside there is no work for welders and companys know this and are offering £6.00 an hour for nightshift I cant afford to take jobs like this, so I been out of work since April.
My wife and I are fed up with the way this country is run and think its about time we changed our life style we have two daughters aged 4 and 12 and a son aged 18 and we feel there must be something better than this any help would be appreciated thanks.
Old Nov 13th 2005, 9:29 am

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help over Emigration

Welcome to the forum!

For immigration advice you really should probably seek out a migration agent who can offer you a professional opinion of what your position is, and solutions if there are any. Most agents will offer this advice without charge before proceeding with your case. They are the professionals and deal with many non standard cases - as most usually are in some way!

If you would like recommendations of agents to contact there would be no shortage of suggestions on this board. I used www.isa.com.au and can personally recommend them and the consultation is free and may give you all the advice you need.

There is also the immigration forum here where you may be able to get more specific advice.

As to cost - there are the visa costs, flights, rental to pay for the first few weeks and other costs of settlement. If you put a number on that I daresay it would be frightening. Many people migrate with little funds, others with proceeds of house sales and in a very stable cash position. Why not consult with an agent in the first place and see if you can get some professional advice

Welcome again to the rollercoaster of migration!
Old Nov 13th 2005, 9:37 am
Im a woomaaan

gobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by [email protected]
Hi everyone,
My wife and I are condidering emigrating to Western Australia, I,m a welder by trade and Australia is crying out for good tradesmen. But the problem is my wife and I have a few concerns about going over there, our first worry is how much is all this going to cost us we dont want an exact number but a rough idea would be helpful.
Our second concern is my age I'm 46 we are phoning the South Western Development Comm tonight to see if we can get round this problem some people say yes its OK others say noway.
Our third worry is the medicals I have an ear problem which I have had since I was a child some call it Glue Ear, it happens about once a year I get discharge if I get a heavy cold sometimes not. We are worried that I would be knocked back because of this.
Our last problem is they ask you if you have 12 months employment in the last 18 months, at the momment on Tyneside there is no work for welders and companys know this and are offering £6.00 an hour for nightshift I cant afford to take jobs like this, so I been out of work since April.
My wife and I are fed up with the way this country is run and think its about time we changed our life style we have two daughters aged 4 and 12 and a son aged 18 and we feel there must be something better than this any help would be appreciated thanks.
Try www.gomatilda.com, and have a look at the news page, they recently placed a notice for tradesmen over the age of 45- apparently some companies in oz have contacted them to find possible candidates.They ask for some of your details and will give a once over to your chances.
Old Nov 13th 2005, 11:38 am
BE Enthusiast

YFitz has a brilliant futureYFitz has a brilliant futureYFitz has a brilliant futureYFitz has a brilliant futureYFitz has a brilliant futureYFitz has a brilliant future

My daughter who is 7 has suffered from glue ears for the last 4 years and has had 3 operations. It was barely mentioned at our medicals. DIMIA only seem to be interested in medical conditions which will be a drain on the Aus health services. I wouldn't give your ear probs a second thought in regard to immigration. Good luck with your other queries.
Cheers
Yvonne
Old Nov 13th 2005, 12:46 pm
Living the Dream!

Mrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond repute

Can't offer any advice that hasn't already been suggested, but just wanted to say Hi...and good luck with your plans. Let us know how you get on....I'm very nosey!
Old Nov 13th 2005, 3:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

tabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to behold

Would recommend www.australian-migration.com.au , but first check out www.immi.gov.au for fees and all info for visa requirements.

And finally good luck, there will be a lot of this :scared: and even more of this
Old Nov 14th 2005, 12:34 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

H
Our second concern is my age I'm 46 we are phoning the South Western Development Comm tonight to see if we can get round this problem some people say yes its OK others say noway..

You will need an Australian employer to sponsor for ENS or RSMS. You *cannot* qualify for one of the general skilled visas (including SIR) as a main applicant if you are aged 45 or over.

There's an age limit of 45 for ENS/RSMS too, but it can be waived.

Download and read booklet 5:
http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/books_migrate.htm

Jeremy
Old Nov 14th 2005, 11:15 am

Thumbs up Re: Help over Emigration

Well I phoned Australia at 1am and spoke to people there and we are now on a fast track to getting over there in about 12 weeks on a sponsered visa .
Old Nov 14th 2005, 11:23 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Well I phoned Australia at 1am and spoke to people there and we are now on a fast track to getting over there in about 12 weeks on a sponsered visa .

Is it a temporary visa or a permanent one?

Jeremy
Old Nov 14th 2005, 11:34 am

Wink Re: Help over Emigration

The company will sponser me for two years at least and then I get my permanent visa
Old Nov 14th 2005, 11:41 am
JAJ
Retired

The company will sponser me for two years at least and then I get my permanent visa

Only if you meet the rules. As you are over 45 you already have a complex case as you require an age waiver.

And if your employer won't sponsor - you're in trouble.

I suggest you go into this with eyes open as to the risks/issues:
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=324062

These include:
- the older you get, the harder it will be to get that age waiver for PR
- your 18 year old will need to be dependent right up to when you get PR (if you do)
- is your employer prepared to pay full medical insurance? You don't get full medicare.
- be aware that for uni/TAFE (nd possibly schools - check the rules for your state) you are going to be paying a lot more as temporary residents.

Jeremy
Old Nov 14th 2005, 2:14 pm

Question Re: Help over Emigration

Actually my son is 19 and even though he is working he is still a dependant, my other two are 4 and 12 I dont fancy having to pay to send them to school I thought thats what taxes were for?. We are hoping to move to Bunbury in the South western part of Australia.
Old Nov 14th 2005, 2:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

LesleyM is a name known to allLesleyM is a name known to allLesleyM is a name known to allLesleyM is a name known to allLesleyM is a name known to allLesleyM is a name known to allLesleyM is a name known to allLesleyM is a name known to allLesleyM is a name known to allLesleyM is a name known to allLesleyM is a name known to all

Actually my son is 19 and even though he is working he is still a dependant, my other two are 4 and 12 I dont fancy having to pay to send them to school I thought thats what taxes were for?. We are hoping to move to Bunbury in the South western part of Australia.
When my son was still interested in coming with us last year (he is 20) the only way we could do it was for him to study there and prove that he was still living at home and dependant on us. We booked him into TAFE on the gold coast for a two year mechanics course costing approx 14000 dollars. he has since changed his mind. The only other alternative is that your son applies separately. HTH.
Old Nov 14th 2005, 3:45 pm

Question Re: Help over Emigration

My son is still at home and dependant on us,what is TAFE ? is it a college or trade school and would it be easy to get him enrolled into one in the Bunbury area?
Old Nov 14th 2005, 4:01 pm

possoms is an unknown quantity at this point

Wow well done 10.15 last night you had all these problem questions, this afternoon your going to be there in 12 wks on a sponsered visa. Congrats

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.