Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Help North or south of river in Perth?

Help North or south of river in Perth?

Old Jun 20th 2006, 12:41 pm
Forum Regular

robo43 has a spectacular aura aboutrobo43 has a spectacular aura aboutrobo43 has a spectacular aura about
Default Help North or south of river in Perth?

Hi Everyone
Will be out in Perth September and was planning to reside north of river concentrating on Joondalup or surrounding area, but am now having second thoughts.Was wondering whether to look in Swan valley area or south of the river.I am a maintenance engineer so was also thinking about availability of work.Does anyone have opinions on particular areas? i know one mans poison is another mans potion. but any knowledge is useful

Many Thanks

Robo Young
Old Jun 20th 2006, 12:53 pm
Forum Regular

birchway has a brilliant futurebirchway has a brilliant futurebirchway has a brilliant futurebirchway has a brilliant futurebirchway has a brilliant futurebirchway has a brilliant futurebirchway has a brilliant futurebirchway has a brilliant future
Default Re: Help North or south of river in Perth?

Originally Posted by robo43
Hi Everyone
Will be out in Perth September and was planning to reside north of river concentrating on Joondalup or surrounding area, but am now having second thoughts.Was wondering whether to look in Swan valley area or south of the river.I am a maintenance engineer so was also thinking about availability of work.Does anyone have opinions on particular areas? i know one mans poison is another mans potion. but any knowledge is useful

Many Thanks

Robo Young
hi Robo

we are going to perth, and I am also a Maintenance Engineer, we hope to be there by November, I have never been to perth but I believe the south is more industrial so I can only assume that means more work for us in that area, but we have also been looking more northern, but are now considering Rockingham/mandurah, but who knows till we get there

steve
Old Jun 20th 2006, 1:03 pm

Perthforme is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Everyone

Many Thanks

Robo Young
Most areas are nice , but north, south, east , are all different .
You should get a clearer idea when you arrive.
Try movetoperth.com suburb guides on there .
Old Jun 20th 2006, 1:40 pm
Forum Regular

robo43 has a spectacular aura aboutrobo43 has a spectacular aura aboutrobo43 has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by birchway
hi Robo

we are going to perth, and I am also a Maintenance Engineer, we hope to be there by November, I have never been to perth but I believe the south is more industrial so I can only assume that means more work for us in that area, but we have also been looking more northern, but are now considering Rockingham/mandurah, but who knows till we get there

steve
Hi Steve
I think thats going to be our best option.We are thinking of renting a camper van for acouple of weeks so as to get a better idea of each area.

Robo
Old Jun 20th 2006, 6:28 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Perthforme
Most areas are nice , but north, south, east , are all different .
You should get a clearer idea when you arrive.
Try movetoperth.com suburb guides on there .
Cheers Perthforme will have a browse
Robo
Old Jun 20th 2006, 6:37 pm

FluffyTheCampfireSlayer is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Everyone

Many Thanks

Robo Young

Robo

As a maintenace engineer I would say SOR may give you more ooprtunity - definitley much more industry that way.

We found NOR to be a little quiet and not so populated for our liking.

As for camper rentals....DO IT MATE!!! Bloody brilliant time to be had!! We can recommend www.campette.com cheap as chips and all good quality, new vans!!

Any more Q's feel free to PM all you like!
Old Jun 20th 2006, 11:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

Evelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of light

Hi Everyone

Many Thanks

Robo Young
Hi Rob,

I also would recommend south of the river and would never choose the Swan Valley

a) because of your profession
b) too far away from the ocean
c) because of the temperature.

It is quite a bit inland which means you get minus tempretaures in winter and very hot in sommer.

Example: this week Perth had the coldest night ever recorded with -3.4. At the same time it was +8.7 in Mandurah. In summer it is the other way round.
Old Jun 21st 2006, 1:50 am
Short Term Holiday Rental

cedar cottage has a spectacular aura aboutcedar cottage has a spectacular aura aboutcedar cottage has a spectacular aura about

Hi Everyone

Many Thanks

Robo Young
There is stacks of work on the Kwinana Industrial strip just a few minutes drive from Rockingham,there is shutdowns all the time and they cannot get enough to fill the jobs. The sooner you get here the better. We have had a metallurgist from Canada staying in one of our houses for three months as BHP Billiton has got the Kwinana nickel refinery and they are trying to get it back to its former glory. We know loads of people working on the strip and they are on huge money. If you are looking for somewhere to stay short term fully furnished, check out our web page www.cedarcottagewa.com Hope this is the info you need. We need as many over here ASAP. Dont miss the boom..Suzette at Cedar Cottage
Old Jun 21st 2006, 2:38 am
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute

Be led by the work. Try to make yourself as footloose as possible when you arrive and be prepared to travel long distances for work until a pattern starts to form and you gain an insight into where the most work will be and where you wish to live in relation to this.
This is what I did and it just kept as many options as possible open. You might also want to warn your family to view the first few weeks/months as temporary and not to bed down as soon as you arrive.
Old Jun 21st 2006, 5:01 am
Forum Regular

Thanks for all your advice think i will definatly be looking SOR from now on

Cheers Robo
Old Jun 21st 2006, 5:37 am
Just Joined

netti is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by cedar cottage
There is stacks of work on the Kwinana Industrial strip just a few minutes drive from Rockingham,there is shutdowns all the time and they cannot get enough to fill the jobs. The sooner you get here the better. We have had a metallurgist from Canada staying in one of our houses for three months as BHP Billiton has got the Kwinana nickel refinery and they are trying to get it back to its former glory. We know loads of people working on the strip and they are on huge money. If you are looking for somewhere to stay short term fully furnished, check out our web page www.cedarcottagewa.com Hope this is the info you need. We need as many over here ASAP. Dont miss the boom..Suzette at Cedar Cottage
Hi Suzette
Do you have any contact details for employment on Kwinana industrial strip please?
Netti
Old Jun 21st 2006, 8:33 am

cedar cottage has a spectacular aura aboutcedar cottage has a spectacular aura aboutcedar cottage has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by netti
Hi Suzette
Do you have any contact details for employment on Kwinana industrial strip please?
Netti
Hi Netti, to name just a few,,,,,you have Alcoa, Nickel West (BHP Billiton), United Constructions, Tiwest, Westfarmers gas, CSBP. They all have web pages and contact details on there. There is a boom at the moment and there is shutdowns every couple of weeks, a Trades Assistant alone is clearing around 1,200 dollars a week. Suzette.
Old Jun 22nd 2006, 5:59 pm
Forum Regular

JosieJ has much to be proud ofJosieJ has much to be proud ofJosieJ has much to be proud ofJosieJ has much to be proud ofJosieJ has much to be proud ofJosieJ has much to be proud ofJosieJ has much to be proud ofJosieJ has much to be proud ofJosieJ has much to be proud ofJosieJ has much to be proud ofJosieJ has much to be proud of

Hi Suzette

I've just been reading your postings and wondered if the same could be said with those companies and my husband - he's an industrial electrician and we're hoping to move out at the very beginning of next year (he sadly wants christmas here, but it's all about compromises isn't it!). Do you think there'd be anything for him? I've written those companies down and going to check their websites out now! Would it be worth emailing his cv and references etc with a covering letter?

Thanks

JJ
x
Old Jun 23rd 2006, 12:17 am

Originally Posted by JosieJ
Hi Suzette

I've just been reading your postings and wondered if the same could be said with those companies and my husband - he's an industrial electrician and we're hoping to move out at the very beginning of next year (he sadly wants christmas here, but it's all about compromises isn't it!). Do you think there'd be anything for him? I've written those companies down and going to check their websites out now! Would it be worth emailing his cv and references etc with a covering letter?

Thanks

JJ
x
Hi Josie, at the moment Perth is short on every trades person, If I was him I would be sending copies to everyone, even the big mining companies for fly in fly out jobs on mine sites as even the dishwashers are on $100,000 a year....... Suzette.
Old Jun 23rd 2006, 3:24 am
BE Enthusiast

nicanjoe has a brilliant futurenicanjoe has a brilliant futurenicanjoe has a brilliant futurenicanjoe has a brilliant futurenicanjoe has a brilliant futurenicanjoe has a brilliant futurenicanjoe has a brilliant future

Hi,

We're in the same boat, we will be arriving in Perth in the first week of August and my husband is a metal machinist 1st class. It seems most of the jobs are NOR, would there be jobs south as well?

Nicanjoe

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.