Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Help! Neither of us can Drive!!

Help! Neither of us can Drive!!

Old Jul 13th 2005, 8:59 pm
is happy to be here :)

Tiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond repute
Unhappy Help! Neither of us can Drive!!

We need some advice/reassurance or just the truth really

Me and hubby are hoping to emigrate to Perth early next year, but neither of us can drive yet!

Is this a major thing, or do you think we would be able to manage, and maybe learn when we get over there?

I know the train service is pretty good around Perth itself.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated
Old Jul 13th 2005, 9:29 pm

Tiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help! Neither of us can Drive!!

bump
Old Jul 13th 2005, 9:31 pm
Merlot

If Perth is like other cities such as Sydney, I would say no worries at all.

M

Old Jul 13th 2005, 9:33 pm

Originally Posted by Merlot
If Perth is like other cities such as Sydney, I would say no worries at all.

M
Thanks Merlot

Where do you get all those avatars???
Old Jul 13th 2005, 9:33 pm
Merlot

Originally Posted by Tiawamutu
Thanks Merlot

Where do you get all those avatars???
Shameless plus for someone's site

http://www.nutrocker.co.uk/animatedgifs.html

M

Old Jul 14th 2005, 3:19 am
BE Forum Addict

Shellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of light

Me and hubby are hoping to emigrate to Perth early next year, but neither of us can drive yet!

Is this a major thing, or do you think we would be able to manage, and maybe learn when we get over there?

You can do without driving but it is a big country, with a lot to see and driving is often the quickest and easiest way of getting around. Some places are only accessible by car. I would recommend getting some driving lessons and giving it a whirl. The driving test (in Melbourne) is not bad at all, pretty straight forward.

Good luck with whatever you decide
Old Jul 14th 2005, 3:37 am
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

bump
Take a crash course?
Old Jul 14th 2005, 3:44 am
A New Day at Mid-Night...

pandya_m is just really nicepandya_m is just really nicepandya_m is just really nicepandya_m is just really nicepandya_m is just really nicepandya_m is just really nicepandya_m is just really nicepandya_m is just really nice
Thumbs up Re: Help! Neither of us can Drive!!

Originally Posted by Shellfish
You can do without driving but it is a big country, with a lot to see and driving is often the quickest and easiest way of getting around. Some places are only accessible by car. I would recommend getting some driving lessons and giving it a whirl. The driving test (in Melbourne) is not bad at all, pretty straight forward.

Good luck with whatever you decide
In addition to what you said, Getting a driving licence is as imp as getting your passport. So be prepared to get one when you land here. You can get away with all not with driving licecen, since you wont make 100 points w/o Driving licence.
I have already got a driving licence from India, but I need to attend Computer test and Hazard test and later a practicle test with examiner.
I have registered for Comp. Test and Hazard test tommorw at 11:00(Karma needed)). They say its not tough, but good no of people could not clear first time. Am I right ABCDiamond...
Dont think just do it over, its a must and you have to
Good Luck.
Old Jul 14th 2005, 4:27 am
BE Enthusiast

Mummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud of

We spent 4 months in Perth when we went there for a working holiday, and had no car. We got around on the public transport just fine. Obviously it depends where you live, but I guess if you don't drive then a good public transport route is going to be high on your list of priorities.

A driving licence is the most comonly used form of ID though - not sure what you could use in its place other than carry your passport around. Need to show ID for all sorts of things, like posting stuff abroad for example.

If you are considering learning to drive, I would say do it before you get here as the learning to drive experience over here is a long drawn out process.
Old Jul 14th 2005, 4:30 am
Absinthe Minded

Del Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to behold

A driving licence is the most comonly used form of ID though - not sure what you could use in its place other than carry your passport around. Need to show ID for all sorts of things, like posting stuff abroad for example.

Without a licence, you'd need an 18+ card for ID. Even the missus's gran has one and she's definately over 18 to even a casual observer.
Old Jul 14th 2005, 4:41 am
aussie73

If you live in one of the Capital Cities in OZ like Perth, Sydney, Melbourne etc you don't need a car, the public transport system is good enough to take you wherever you need to go, however if you live in the country or a rural area you need a car to get anywhere as there is little or no public transport.

Old Jul 14th 2005, 10:02 am
Forum Regular

LindyLoo is a jewel in the roughLindyLoo is a jewel in the roughLindyLoo is a jewel in the roughLindyLoo is a jewel in the roughLindyLoo is a jewel in the rough

Any advice would be gr eatly appreciated
The car is king here, sorry to inform you.

We were without a car when we got here, and it became a bit of a nightmare getting buses to work, getting to the shops and just trying to explore the place.

Been in all the major cities, and unless you are working in the city centre (central business district CBD), public transport in wasn't that great.

My hubbie learned to drive before he got here and would definitely recommend it. Plus everyone drives automatic cars - it's just like driving a dodgem
Old Jul 14th 2005, 10:23 am

Thanks very much everyone for you thoughts

I did take about 15-20 lessons three years ago. Then we went and bought our first house, and the lessons went out of the window.

I suppose I might not take so long to learn this time, and it may be best to get it over and done with

Good luck Karma needed I think :scared:
Old Jul 14th 2005, 10:29 am
Account Closed

Three Legs is an unknown quantity at this point

I think you'll struggle personally...

Perth is spread over a vast area and the car is a must as far as I am concerned.

Get some lessons in quick smart.

Old Jul 14th 2005, 12:44 pm

Originally Posted by Three Legs
I think you'll struggle personally...

Perth is spread over a vast area and the car is a must as far as I am concerned.

Get some lessons in quick smart.
Wish I had 3 legs like you....I'm sure it would be much easier to drive!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.