Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Help...needing urgent advice

Help...needing urgent advice

Old May 7th 2007, 8:44 am
BE Enthusiast

freckles1970 is just really nicefreckles1970 is just really nicefreckles1970 is just really nicefreckles1970 is just really nicefreckles1970 is just really nicefreckles1970 is just really nicefreckles1970 is just really nicefreckles1970 is just really nicefreckles1970 is just really nicefreckles1970 is just really nice
Default Help...needing urgent advice

Really hope someone can help.

I am currently going (or you could say plodding, this whole process takes so long!) through the stni 137 sponsorship process. I am awaiting a final decision from Victoria, already got skills and police check and planning to front load med in a week or so....only trouble is I have just been given a job offer for new zealand!

The job would be starting in august (I finish on the 23rd of july in the uk), and as I am a teacher I know this is the middle of their second term so I'm guessing they really are desperate to get someone (schools generally do not accept mid tem posts).

I am tempted to take it while I am waiting for everything to go through, but have a few reservations:

Is it fair to take the job when i will probably end up leaving at the end of the 3rd term?

Although it is well paid in NZ terms, I could earn more on supply in the UK, would I be better to stay, but what happens if I don't get the OZ visa and turn it down?

Will it be more unsettling/will i get more homesick? (I know this is a personal thing but any opinions would be apreciated)
Old May 7th 2007, 10:36 am

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help...needing urgent advice

How many I didnt get my visa posts have you ever seen on this board - basically less than a handful I recall in over a couple of years. Dont sweat it. You'll be fine and get your visa. If you qualify for it - you get it. Simple.

Now stop the panic and go and have a nice bottle of Australian wine
Old May 7th 2007, 10:59 am
BE Enthusiast

freckles1970 is just really nicefreckles1970 is just really nicefreckles1970 is just really nicefreckles1970 is just really nicefreckles1970 is just really nicefreckles1970 is just really nicefreckles1970 is just really nicefreckles1970 is just really nicefreckles1970 is just really nicefreckles1970 is just really nice

It wasn't really an 'i'm worried about getting my visa' post.

My dilema is i've been offered a teaching post in NZ, and should I take it while i wait for the oz one to come through.
Old May 7th 2007, 11:08 am
BE Forum Addict

Gems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond repute

Hello,

How long is the position in NZ for?? If its short term may be worth going.

But if they want you to work 1 year or more. Think about it carefully. Would you be happy if you got granted your Aus visa but couldnt leave due to ties with New Zealand job.

Have you looked into teaching and living in New Zealand before the job offer? Is it a place you want to live?

My thoughts would be if you get your visa in Aus what would you do with the New Zealand job?? Australia teaching jobs want every piece of paper going, so you would need to leave with good refernce from NZ.

Would you be happy living in New Zealand, have you researched it well. Ive read that teaching jobs are no longer a shortage in New Zealand.

We considered New Zealand but my research showed we would have more opportunities in Aus.

Me, Id consider hanging on in the UK and you will save more money(if your getting better pay in the UK). Will be less paperwork and complications if you move to Aus once visa granted.

GEMS
Old May 7th 2007, 11:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by freckles1970
It wasn't really an 'i'm worried about getting my visa' post.

My dilema is i've been offered a teaching post in NZ, and should I take it while i wait for the oz one to come through.

Well you need to ask yourself a few questions like:

Can you afford to move twice?

Do you want to move twice?

Do you want to lose out on extra cash from staying in the UK for the sake of a few months (or weeks as the case may be)?
Old May 7th 2007, 11:15 am
UK to Brissy - August 07

smoggieswilltravel is just really nicesmoggieswilltravel is just really nicesmoggieswilltravel is just really nicesmoggieswilltravel is just really nicesmoggieswilltravel is just really nicesmoggieswilltravel is just really nicesmoggieswilltravel is just really nicesmoggieswilltravel is just really nice

Hi Northern Monkey

Does that mean your from Hartlepool?

Do you really want to go to a New Zealand winter? OH was there last year, did not like it at all. NZ was not what he expected at all. If your single you could do the move would not be so bad but if you have family then it maybe quite an unsettling experience if your only going to move on again. OH said that that people would joke about how cold the properties were and that the damp was really bad. I was in touch with a lady in Auckland who said that she dreaded being invited to peoples home who thought it was normal to sit in their lounges with their coats on. Not for me thanks. But each to their own.

My sister in-law is a teacher living in Brisbane, its a bit of a chore getting work at first, supply, supply, supply until you get a certain number of days logged and then you can apply for permanent positions. But the supply is V well paid.

Good luck with the visa and your decisions
Old May 7th 2007, 11:41 am
BE Enthusiast

Thanks a lot for the advice guys...has definitely given me some food for thought on this rainy bank holiday monday!