British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Help needed re passport (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/help-needed-re-passport-107193/)

jet Mar 25th 2002 7:42 pm

Help needed re passport

Hi, I am awaiting news on a prospective spouse visa for Australia from the AHC in London. I received a letter last week asking me to go and get my medicals and police report done and to return these along with a couple of other documents they requested. What I am wondering is should I risk sending my passport back with the said documents or wait till it is requested.....Dont want to upset anyone at the AHC by being previous but just thought doing so could save some time and money...Would be great to receive some feedback on this matter. Thanks Deb

mozz48 Mar 26th 2002 4:45 am

Re: Help needed re passport

Hi Deb
Concentrate on getting those medicals and police reports in as quickly as possible Usually when they ask you to take your passport in they will issue and stamp your visa on the spot In the mean time you didnt say if you may be needing your passport
Sounds like you are not far away Good luck Where are you going to in Australia ??? Victoria this way Regards Gerard

jet Mar 26th 2002 9:57 am

Hi Gerard

Thanks for your reply, the first available appointment I could get for my medical is April 10th which was a cheese off cos I wanted it like NOW...lol. I dont envisage myself needing my passport before I go to Australia.

I Live in Lincolnshire so it is a bit far for me to actually go into AHC to get my passport stamped so whatever I do it will have to be by post just dont know whether to risk it and send it with my medicals!

I am heading to Queensland, cant wait to get to all that sunshine again!!

Thanks again Debs

colind Mar 26th 2002 10:11 am

Hi Debs

It took AHC 7 days from receipt of medicals and police clearance to issue of my grant of visa letter. If I were you, I would be patient and just send them what they are asking for at the moment. The last thing you want is for them to lose your passport when you're so close! And Gerard is right, they will stamp it on the spot for you once you have your letter, so I am sure that if you can't get down to London and you send it in with a special delivery envelope, it won't be too long. Hang on in there...you're close!

All the best in QLD.

Colin

jet Mar 26th 2002 10:16 am

Thanks so much Colin, I was thinking along the same lines as you but when you are so close you just want that stamp so badly. Just hope they do mine as quick as yours, would love to spend my fiances birthday with him in May but then the hard bit will be getting a flight at such short notice! where are you heading and when are you going if you dont mind me being nosy and asking!

Luv Debs

mozz48 Mar 26th 2002 10:25 am

Hi Deb;
I think Colin and I agree on a number of points Colin is right you are very close You dont need to run the risk of losing your passport in the mail . My advice to you is when you send the medicals in get a private courier to deliver the papers We still have a registered letter somewhere in South Africa Whereabouts unknown !!!!! Caused a lot of grief Copies are helpfull but you cannot have a copy of a Police report They wont accept it
Good Luck Gerard

colind Mar 26th 2002 10:45 am

Gerard, I agree...I was paranoid about AHC losing stuff! Either sent it by registered post or (preferably) hand delivered it and got a receipt!

Debs, we're off to Sydney in June. Working there. My wife and all her family are from Brisbane and we will probably end up in Queensland when we can afford to retire...love it up there.

Col