British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Help needed for a newcomer arriving to sunshine coast (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/help-needed-newcomer-arriving-sunshine-coast-494579/)

Sue Stockport Nov 17th 2007 3:56 pm

Help needed for a newcomer arriving to sunshine coast

Hi all,

Well........ we've finally got the visa, left our current jobs, rented out our property in the UK, booked the flights and booked shipping...... just 1 teeny tiny problem..... we've nowhere to stay when we get to Oz... Sunshine Coast to be precise !

Me and OH fly out to Brisbane on the 8th December arriving on the 10th December (so we're defo going along to the Sunshine Coast meet on the 15th :) )..... we can find a holiday rental probably until xmas eve but after that everywhere seems to be full :( With hindsight we should have really thought about this BEFORE booking the flights .... but I start my new job in Oz in mid-January so we wanted to get there asap to get settled etc.

I've contacted some real estate people and we can't rent a property until we're in Oz and have actually viewed the property.

Does anyone have any suggestions/recommendations for accommodation on arrival?? The thought of spending xmas sleeping on the beach is starting to scare me a little !

Any help / advice would be v v much appreciated and welcome ...

Hope to hear from some of you... sue x

PWBCSA Nov 18th 2007 9:31 am

Re: Help needed for a newcomer arriving to sunshine coast

Hi,

Some websites you might find useful.

The best one for accommodation is www.wotif.com which is great for last minute accomodation, remember you are moving to one of the holiday capitals of Australia so you are going to get screwed over Xmas. Oh well.

The best websites for rentals are www.domain.com.au / www.realestate.com.au / www.property.com.au which you should be able to find plenty of stuff on, obviously not sure what you're looking for but the most common would probably be houses in the Buderim / Mountain Creek area for $300-400.

We arrived in Brisbane on the 2nd November 2005, moved up to the coast about four days later and moved into our fantastic unit on the 14th November; it can be done.

Good luck and try to remember to enjoy your first Xmas in one of the most fantastic places on the planet!

Cheers.

Sue Stockport Nov 18th 2007 11:06 am

Originally Posted by PWBCSA (Post 5569580)
Hi,

Some websites you might find useful.

The best one for accommodation is www.wotif.com which is great for last minute accomodation, remember you are moving to one of the holiday capitals of Australia so you are going to get screwed over Xmas. Oh well.

The best websites for rentals are www.domain.com.au / www.realestate.com.au / www.property.com.au which you should be able to find plenty of stuff on, obviously not sure what you're looking for but the most common would probably be houses in the Buderim / Mountain Creek area for $300-400.

We arrived in Brisbane on the 2nd November 2005, moved up to the coast about four days later and moved into our fantastic unit on the 14th November; it can be done.

Good luck and try to remember to enjoy your first Xmas in one of the most fantastic places on the planet!

Cheers.

Thanks for your reply - I'm going to have a look at those websites now...

s-jmelbournewannabe Nov 18th 2007 11:33 am

Hi we arrive on the 27th November and sorted a hol let for 2 wks then found a rental for 6mths in Mt Creek for $420.. Not many about less than $380 at the mo. We secured ours by sending all the info to agent Westpac statement confirming money we'd already transfered, passport pages, birth certs, references, we even sent our Pcc's.

We were up against 4 families but that was good usually your looking at about 10. we secured by saying we would pay 3mths up front, we got it, when it came to paying realtor she said give me one weeks rent and pay the rest when you arrive, cos of fees etc. ..

Send her an email,we registered on her books 4 weeks prev to getting house. her name is Angie at GQproperty, Mooloolaba/Maroochydore.

Good luck. S-jx (will see you at the meet on 15th)

Sue Stockport Nov 18th 2007 1:01 pm

Originally Posted by s-jmelbournewannabe (Post 5570019)
Hi we arrive on the 27th November and sorted a hol let for 2 wks then found a rental for 6mths in Mt Creek for $420.. Not many about less than $380 at the mo. We secured ours by sending all the info to agent Westpac statement confirming money we'd already transfered, passport pages, birth certs, references, we even sent our Pcc's.

We were up against 4 families but that was good usually your looking at about 10. we secured by saying we would pay 3mths up front, we got it, when it came to paying realtor she said give me one weeks rent and pay the rest when you arrive, cos of fees etc. ..

Send her an email,we registered on her books 4 weeks prev to getting house. her name is Angie at GQproperty, Mooloolaba/Maroochydore.

Good luck. S-jx (will see you at the meet on 15th)

Thanks for your help .... do you happen to have an email address for Angie? I've just googled GQ property but a few came up.... again thanks for all your help

kevinbloomfield Nov 18th 2007 6:38 pm

Originally Posted by Sue Stockport (Post 5570262)
Thanks for your help .... do you happen to have an email address for Angie? I've just googled GQ property but a few came up.... again thanks for all your help

Also you might want to give Cotton Tree Real Estate a look. Very helpful for short term accomodation
www.cottontreerealestate.com.au

Have a good trip over, weather not too hot at the moment though!!

s-jmelbournewannabe Nov 18th 2007 6:39 pm

Originally Posted by kevinbloomfield (Post 5571340)
Also you might want to give Cotton Tree Real Estate a look. Very helpful for short term accomodation
www.cottontreerealestate.com.au

Have a good trip over, weather not too hot at the moment though!!

Thats the way i want it!!! might get used to it gradually then. xxx

s-jmelbournewannabe Nov 18th 2007 6:44 pm

Have pm'd you with her email address. See you the 15th chick!! isnt it exciting. This time next week we will be 1 1/2 hrs into our flight!:thumbsup:

S-j x

Timber Floor Au Nov 18th 2007 7:16 pm

How exciting it really must be, we often forget that feeling .. having been here a few years now.

Good luck guys, hope to cyas on the 15th at SUnny Meet. Safe trip, and happy hunting

Ste n Co

Mamgu Nov 18th 2007 7:41 pm

Hi S-j - please can you PM me also the email address for Angie at GQproperty, Mooloolaba/Maroochydore.

Many, many thanks.

Mamgu

kevinbloomfield Nov 18th 2007 8:56 pm

Originally Posted by s-jmelbournewannabe (Post 5571352)
Thats the way i want it!!! might get used to it gradually then. xxx

Hasn't really been hot since we got here 13 months ago. Got up to about 34 at Xmas but nothing too bad.

s-jmelbournewannabe Nov 18th 2007 9:02 pm

Originally Posted by Timber Floor Au (Post 5571518)
How exciting it really must be, we often forget that feeling .. having been here a few years now.

Good luck guys, hope to cyas on the 15th at SUnny Meet. Safe trip, and happy hunting

Ste n Co

Cant bloody wait mate!! Guess what, that bloody Aussie Advert, australia.com is on again.......

I'm coming!!!! See you in a week!:thumbsup::eek:

Its stopped snowing now.. :(

S-j xx

Mamgu Nov 18th 2007 9:14 pm

Thank you S-j. This will be my third post so now hopefully the system will allow me to read my message :)

s-jmelbournewannabe Nov 18th 2007 9:16 pm

I PM'd you did you get to read it??

S-j x:thumbsup: Hope she can help you.

Sue Stockport Nov 19th 2007 6:57 am

Originally Posted by s-jmelbournewannabe (Post 5571914)
I PM'd you did you get to read it??

S-j x:thumbsup: Hope she can help you.

Hi guys..... S-J - thanx for PM - am going to read it now...... am very much looking forward to meeting you all at the meet on the 15th. It is very exciting but I'm also v v nervous !!! Me and OH have never spent a xmas away from home so it's going to be v strange for us. We came to Oz for a month earlier this year and I'm hanging on to the thought of how much we both loved it when we were there x