Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Help needed from mobile phone savvy people

Help needed from mobile phone savvy people

Old Sep 29th 2012, 9:32 am
Forum Regular

kips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to behold
Default Help needed from mobile phone savvy people

I want to buy an unlocked Smartphone for under $300. Any advice on which phone to buy. Don't want to be tied to a 24-month plan as happy with service provider Amaysim.

Went to Allphones, Telechoice and Crazy John's in Rockingham shopping centre but none the wiser as to which phone is best.

One of them had Samsung Galaxy Ace for $229 but sold out. Need phone mostly for talk and text. Not bothered about playing games but probably browse Internet to pass time during 40-min train ride to and from Perth for work.
Old Sep 29th 2012, 12:56 pm
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help needed from mobile phone savvy people

Originally Posted by kips
I want to buy an unlocked Smartphone for under $300. Any advice on which phone to buy. Don't want to be tied to a 24-month plan as happy with service provider Amaysim.

Went to Allphones, Telechoice and Crazy John's in Rockingham shopping centre but none the wiser as to which phone is best.

One of them had Samsung Galaxy Ace for $229 but sold out. Need phone mostly for talk and text. Not bothered about playing games but probably browse Internet to pass time during 40-min train ride to and from Perth for work.
Well, you can always get a phone that's easy to unlock, rather than necessarily one that's already unlocked.

I think you can get a Galaxy Nexus for around your maximum value - a good phone, well supported, if getting a little long in the tooth.

If people are looking for a cheap phone I tend to point them towards the Huawei G300/G330 - but in Oz its a Vodafone exclusive, and therefore on the wrong frequency. The one in the UK is the right frequency, and has been going for £65 as they switch over to the new G330 version.

And IIRC Amaysim is on the Optus network, so a phone that's locked to that network should work.

Rough pointer : You want >4" screen, at least 800x480, dual core >1Ghz, 512MB-1GB memory, ICS (4.0) or JB (4.1) OS.
Old Sep 30th 2012, 1:11 am
Forum Regular

kips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by GarryP
Well, you can always get a phone that's easy to unlock, rather than necessarily one that's already unlocked.

I think you can get a Galaxy Nexus for around your maximum value - a good phone, well supported, if getting a little long in the tooth.

If people are looking for a cheap phone I tend to point them towards the Huawei G300/G330 - but in Oz its a Vodafone exclusive, and therefore on the wrong frequency. The one in the UK is the right frequency, and has been going for £65 as they switch over to the new G330 version.

And IIRC Amaysim is on the Optus network, so a phone that's locked to that network should work.

Rough pointer : You want >4" screen, at least 800x480, dual core >1Ghz,
512MB-1GB memory, ICS (4.0) or JB (4.1) OS.
Hi GarryP

Thanks for your advice. Very helpful, especially the last sentence as what I know about smartphones could be written on the back of a stamp.

Funny you should mention unlocked phones as tried to get OH's old Samsung s532 unlocked. Took 4 phone calls to Virgin to finally get the unlocking number. Tried it and didn't work - says need to unfreeze phone. Another call to Virgin and still no luck.

Took phone to Virgin shop and told by salesman my Amaysim card won't work in phone because I have a microsim card and phone won't support that type of card. Hubby bought phone two years ago. Not sure it this is the reason but given up trying. Easier to get a new phone.
Old Sep 30th 2012, 2:53 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

Hi GarryP

Thanks for your advice. Very helpful, especially the last sentence as what I know about smartphones could be written on the back of a stamp.

Funny you should mention unlocked phones as tried to get OH's old Samsung s532 unlocked. Took 4 phone calls to Virgin to finally get the unlocking number. Tried it and didn't work - says need to unfreeze phone. Another call to Virgin and still no luck.
Hmm, most eBayish unlockers give refunds if it doesn't work. Phones will lock if you have too many unsuccessful attempts, but it should be down to Virgin to make right. Of course, since they aren't making money you have to beat them into it.

Took phone to Virgin shop and told by salesman my Amaysim card won't work in phone because I have a microsim card and phone won't support that type of card. Hubby bought phone two years ago. Not sure it this is the reason but given up trying. Easier to get a new phone.
Micro Sims are an apple thing - so you shouldn't have one unless you had an iphone.

If you do look to go the Galaxy Nexus route, Kogan have them on sale at the moment at $330+delivery. There may well be even better deals over the next month, since rumour says they are updating it with the traditional November launch of the Nexuses - so they are trying to clear existing stock. There's already is a 4.11 - Jelly Bean update available for it.

http://www.kogan.com/au/buy/samsung-galaxy-nexus/
http://www.phonearena.com/phones/Sam...Y-Nexus_id5595
Old Sep 30th 2012, 8:54 am
BE Forum Addict

pumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond repute

Virgin wouldn't unlock my phone unless I paid them $80 or something stupid. Well, the way they put it was that I had to buy credit. Why would I want it unlocked if I was happy with virgin??
Old Oct 1st 2012, 1:02 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Micro Sims are an apple thing - so you shouldn't have one unless you had an iphone.
No they're not.
Old Oct 1st 2012, 1:36 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
No they're not.
Really?

I've never seen a micro sim used in anything other than an iphone/ipad - although I guess there maybe a few out there who've taken this route.

I'm pretty sure that if you've gone down the cutdown route there are adapter to get it back to a standard size - the guts of it are still the same.
Old Oct 1st 2012, 1:54 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Really?

I've never seen a micro sim used in anything other than an iphone/ipad - although I guess there maybe a few out there who've taken this route.

I'm pretty sure that if you've gone down the cutdown route there are adapter to get it back to a standard size - the guts of it are still the same.
Daughter's SIII is a micro sim.
Old Oct 1st 2012, 2:09 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

Daughter's SIII is a micro sim.
So not content with copying rounded rectangles, they've copied that too from apple?

I've never had the back off one so I assumed they were standard.

You can pick up a an adapter for about $1 on ebay, or a cutter and multiple adapters for about $5.
Old Oct 1st 2012, 2:16 am
Crazy Cat Lady

So not content with copying rounded rectangles, they've copied that too from apple?

I've never had the back off one so I assumed they were standard.

You can pick up a an adapter for about $1 on ebay, or a cutter and multiple adapters for about $5.
http://gadget-buy.com/image/11/m/11978-1.jpg
I've not had the back off, she doesn't let it out of her hand The SII is normal. Don't see the point, it's not like there's no room to put a normal one in.
Old Oct 1st 2012, 4:09 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

I've not had the back off, she doesn't let it out of her hand The SII is normal. Don't see the point, it's not like there's no room to put a normal one in.
I think I do understand it - in an underhanded way.

Apple came up with the micro SIM as a way of locking people into their ecosystem. Moving away meant hassle in getting a new SIM, etc. - so people would be less likely to change.

Samsung stick a microSIM socket in order to make it easy to move from iphone to their flagship. "Look, its better, faster, cheaper, AND you can just put your SIM in".

So apple then come up with a 'nano' SIM for their latest - so once again you are shafted if you want to move away from them. Only this time they played with the contacts, so you can't just cut it down, etc.

And this, little kiddies, is why you need proper regulation, there to backup the consumer - so someone comes down on the nasty capitalists with a pair of size tens and breaks their fingers.
Old Oct 8th 2012, 5:48 am
I'm Old Gregg!

Broad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond repute

A man using Apple Maps walks into a bar, or maybe a hotel, possibly a church
Old Oct 8th 2012, 7:40 am
Forum Regular

Update. Bought a Samsung Galaxy s2 unlocked from www.kogan.com for $379 plus $19 postage. Was on special. Wasn't planning to spend that much but thought it was a good price and my sister in the UK has this phone and very impressed.
Old Oct 8th 2012, 11:30 pm
CHC-MEL commute since 91

derab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud of

Update. Bought a Samsung Galaxy s2 unlocked from www.kogan.com for $379 plus $19 postage. Was on special. Wasn't planning to spend that much but thought it was a good price and my sister in the UK has this phone and very impressed.
Good choice, just remember that with Kogan, your Warranty is with Kogan, not Samsung as they bring in grey imports on the whole.
I just picked up a S3 32GB for $560 from Kogan too, as I have dealt with them in the past and found them to be a good outlet.
Old Oct 9th 2012, 11:55 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by derab
Good choice, just remember that with Kogan, your Warranty is with Kogan, not Samsung as they bring in grey imports on the whole.
I just picked up a S3 32GB for $560 from Kogan too, as I have dealt with them in the past and found them to be a good outlet.

Thanks for that. Yes was worried about buying a phone online instead of a local retailer and what would happen if something went wrong with the phone. At least there is a one year warranty. Good to hear from someone who has bought something from Kogan. I like the regular e-mail updates on my order. Had 4 e-mails since ordering last Friday tracking the progress of my purchase.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.