Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

help needed ashes 2013-14

help needed ashes 2013-14

Old May 23rd 2013, 11:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: help needed ashes 2013-14

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
I love the chanting and singing at inter-country sporting events and am an enthusiastic supporter of Aussie Aussie Aussie. Drunk and obnoxious 'supporters' from anywhere give me the pip.

<spouse of scouse wanders off with a confused look on her face, wondering if she should sing the Star Spangled Banner at the next cricket match>
I'm not a great fan of the chanting and singing on both sides as I go to a sporting event for the sport and not what some regard as 'atmosphere' and banter. Obnoxious, as well as idiots who drink too much, is being pointed at when one side sings its national anthem and points at the other when emphasising 'long to reign over YOU (not us)'.
Old May 23rd 2013, 11:34 am
I'm Old Gregg!

Broad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OzTennis
Whingers? Hmm, like cricket itself, football, tennis and badminton etc; things invented in Britain for the world to eventually do better. Union Jack draped drunks singing Barmy Army, Barmy Army, Barmy Army, Barmy Army ...... are of course a cut above those colonials.

Edited to add: sorry, it's not Union Jacks it's St Georges.
The only drunks I saw at the last Ashes tour were the locals. In fact, the only people I saw evicted, were locals too.

As for lauding the whole "reign over YOU" chanting goes, I'm glad to see it has the desired effect on its recipients.

My favourite moments from the last Ashes, among many great Mitchell Johnson moments, was actually when, on the fourth day at the Gabba when the Aussie "fans", realising they were not going to win the test didn't bother showing up for the last two days, but for a few lonely Aussies. One group of about 5 Aussies stood up and chanted "Aussie, Aussie, Aussie", before getting to the next line a group of British supporters, in their hundreds chanted in unison "where, where, where?"
Old May 23rd 2013, 12:09 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not a great fan of the chanting and singing on both sides as I go to a sporting event for the sport and not what some regard as 'atmosphere' and banter. Obnoxious, as well as idiots who drink too much, is being pointed at when one side sings its national anthem and points at the other when emphasising 'long to reign over YOU (not us)'.
I go for both, the sport and the atmosphere, especially love EPL matches. I tried singing Aussie Aussie Aussie there once, and someone dressed as a giraffe sat on me. Made me day
Old May 24th 2013, 7:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Broad Shoulders
The only drunks I saw at the last Ashes tour were the locals. In fact, the only people I saw evicted, were locals too.

As for lauding the whole "reign over YOU" chanting goes, I'm glad to see it has the desired effect on its recipients.

My favourite moments from the last Ashes, among many great Mitchell Johnson moments, was actually when, on the fourth day at the Gabba when the Aussie "fans", realising they were not going to win the test didn't bother showing up for the last two days, but for a few lonely Aussies. One group of about 5 Aussies stood up and chanted "Aussie, Aussie, Aussie", before getting to the next line a group of British supporters, in their hundreds chanted in unison "where, where, where?"
You are glad that the reference to empire long past is not appreciated? Hmm.

Lets just see what happens. We've got a poor team presently but it could be closer than the bookies think.
Old May 24th 2013, 10:53 pm
I'm Old Gregg!

Broad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond repute

You are glad that the reference to empire long past is not appreciated? Hmm.

Lets just see what happens. We've got a poor team presently but it could be closer than the bookies think.
No, I am glad that the chant riles you in the manner that it is designed. It's banter mate, something Aussie fans have no idea about unless it involves the word "w@nker"
Old May 25th 2013, 4:41 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

No, I am glad that the chant riles you in the manner that it is designed. It's banter mate, something Aussie fans have no idea about unless it involves the word "w@nker"
Oi! Entirely untrue. That's like saying all English fans behave the same way, and they don't. Thank God.
Old May 25th 2013, 7:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

No, you don't understand that what often is seen as 'banter' can offend or seem puerile to the target. Some don't care too much for songs about ruling the seas and slavery which are sung.

I've been to Old Firm (Rangers vs Celtic) matches and the 'banter' has to be heard to be believed. You get one lot singing about a battle in 1690 and effing the Pope and the other side singing IRA songs - just banter they say. Some would say it is an incredible 'atmosphere' too.

As for having no idea about 'banter', our cricketers invented sledging (not that I'm proud of it. My favourite is the oft told one about Ian Healy sledging Dave Houghton (Zimbabwe) when he came into bat which went something like - Healy: Look at him boys, he's so fat, he can't bat. Why are you so fat? Houghton: Cos every time I **** your missus she gives me a biscuit. That takes the biscuit as one of the best comebacks of all time.
Old May 25th 2013, 8:10 am
I'm Old Gregg!

No, you don't understand that what often is seen as 'banter' can offend or seem puerile to the target. Some don't care too much for songs about ruling the seas and slavery which are sung.

I've been to Old Firm (Rangers vs Celtic) matches and the 'banter' has to be heard to be believed. You get one lot singing about a battle in 1690 and effing the Pope and the other side singing IRA songs - just banter they say. Some would say it is an incredible 'atmosphere' too.

As for having no idea about 'banter', our cricketers invented sledging (not that I'm proud of it. My favourite is the oft told one about Ian Healy sledging Dave Houghton (Zimbabwe) when he came into bat which went something like - Healy: Look at him boys, he's so fat, he can't bat. Why are you so fat? Houghton: Cos every time I **** your missus she gives me a biscuit. That takes the biscuit as one of the best comebacks of all time.
you were referring to our national anthem whereby it is slightly altered for the sole benefit of Aussie supporters to replace the word "us" to "you". This is not offensive in any shape or form. It is simply reminding Aussies that our monarch still rules over their country. English fans do not bother with this chant when facing the Kiwis, who are in the same situation, simply because it doesn't bother them. The fact that it bothers Aussies so much is why it is rolled out so frequently.
Old May 25th 2013, 9:56 am
Concierge

Oh goody, a 'piddling' competition. Have fun you two.
Old May 25th 2013, 4:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The fact that it bothers Aussies so much is why it is rolled out so frequently.
Enough said!

Just to diverge, for a bit of banter, here's my England squad to play Australia:

1. KP Pietersen
2. Andrew Strauss
3. Matt Prior
4. Jonathan Trott
5. Andy Caddick
6. Geraint Jones
7. Amjad Khan
8. Owais Shah
9. Nasser Hussain
10. Eoin Morgan
11. Usmaan Afzaal
12. Gavin Hamilton
13. Tim Ambrose
14. Vikram Solanki
15. Graeme Hick
16. Craig Keiswetter

Nearly 70 out of 650 players to represent England so far were born overseas; Usman Khawaja was the 7th to represent Australia (Michael Clarke the 6th).
Old May 25th 2013, 9:39 pm
I'm Old Gregg!

Enough said!

Just to diverge, for a bit of banter, here's my England squad to play Australia:

1. KP Pietersen
2. Andrew Strauss
3. Matt Prior
4. Jonathan Trott
5. Andy Caddick
6. Geraint Jones
7. Amjad Khan
8. Owais Shah
9. Nasser Hussain
10. Eoin Morgan
11. Usmaan Afzaal
12. Gavin Hamilton
13. Tim Ambrose
14. Vikram Solanki
15. Graeme Hick
16. Craig Keiswetter

Nearly 70 out of 650 players to represent England so far were born overseas; Usman Khawaja was the 7th to represent Australia (Michael Clarke the 6th).
hmmm throwing stones when you live in the mother of all glass houses is not wise my Aussie friend. Granted, Cricket is not a sport whereby foreign-born Aussies tend to take part. However, the Aussies have a very strong record, if not the strongest of all sporting nations of doing so in other sports. Look at the current Union & League national teams. The best of all is your oh so proud Olympic team. The Brits get sticks for poaching foreign coaches, well the Aussies just poach foreign competitors. Even the govt are in on it, fast-tracking foreign national citizenship just in time to become eligible to represent as a dinky di Aussie.

CA are about to name one of these types of players in the cricket team, in Fawad Ahmed. The guy doesn't yet have citizenship, but CA are pushing DIAC to fast track it so that he can play in this year's Ashes. Now that's REALLY desperate!
Old May 25th 2013, 9:54 pm
pink 'n' bouncy

stuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond repute

Well I was at the mcg for the last boxing day ashes test and it was an amazing day...aussie all out for 90 odd.... Quite amazing.The banter is all in good fun and as previously stated the locals really have no clue and have no 'comeback' banter at all...funny to watch and listen.All I heard was the aussies shouting 'johnson johnson' when he came out to bat and he lasted all of about 3 deliveries!
Needless to say i'll be there again this December 26th. :-)
Old May 26th 2013, 1:31 am
I'm Old Gregg!

Originally Posted by stuckinblighty
Well I was at the mcg for the last boxing day ashes test and it was an amazing day...aussie all out for 90 odd.... Quite amazing.The banter is all in good fun and as previously stated the locals really have no clue and have no 'comeback' banter at all...funny to watch and listen.All I heard was the aussies shouting 'johnson johnson' when he came out to bat and he lasted all of about 3 deliveries!
Needless to say i'll be there again this December 26th. :-)
there were so many great Super Mitch moments in that series.

to name a few:

But this really takes the top award, simply because it was the cherry on top of the entire series

Oh the memories! All I can say is, thank you Mitch!
Old May 26th 2013, 7:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Agreed, you did well in the last couple of Ashes series, do a few swallows make a summer though? Look back further - embarrassing. You know the old one - 'Poms used to come to Australia to get flogged; nothing changes'.

BTW, I concede England's current superiority but I reckon we do reasonably well with 1/3 of the population, fewer imports, only 6 teams to pick from (vs 18 counties).

Let the action speak when the series gets underway; as I said it's only what happens on the ground that interests me, not the sideshow. Agreed also on other sports in Australia using overseas coaches, but also cuts both ways too - remember how many swimming medals by Chinese and cycling medals by Brits are down to Aussie coaches.
Old May 27th 2013, 6:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

The guy doesn't yet have citizenship, but CA are pushing DIAC to fast track it so that he can play in this year's Ashes. Now that's REALLY desperate!
That's going a bit overboard now isn't it ...... anyway ...... gotta put Root in that team list just for the name alone.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.