Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

help needed! area&schools ect??

help needed! area&schools ect??

Old Sep 9th 2010, 5:01 pm
Forum Regular

halfcamoflauge is on a distinguished road
Default Re: help needed! area&schools ect??

yes my daughter had got into irene mcormack and she was meant to attend there Jan just gone but we came back to the uk. We used to live right across the road from the school. The children seemed well behaved when they were going to and from school. The dicipline is there most definately. The fees were about $3000 for the year but then you had to get the uniforms which would cost about $500 plus you have books to get also. We have a friend who's child goes there and she likes it, (they are english but not catholic)but they have to let so many in.When we put our daughters name down we had to pay $300 to secure her place but when we canceled it we couldn't get a refund, so make sure you ask first about the deposit. We had another friend who also wasn't catholic and they again put a $300 deposit down for the application form but they didn't get a place and no refund. Some people said it was 'too catholic' if you get my drift and they seem to really preach about it within the school. All in all no complaints from people who i know go there but people said that Quinns Beach sec was a better school.
If you need anymore info about the place don't hesitate to ask.
nat.
Old Sep 10th 2010, 9:01 am
Forum Regular

tenpoundpom is an unknown quantity at this point

thanks for the information that's all really helpful..if you dont mind me asking why did you return to the uk?..and how did your daughter settle in?..(are the australians ok with the influx of us brits??)..also on another note..i have looked at waikiki (south of perth) do you or any others have any info on this area?..the rents there seem to be really well priced!! again thanks for all your info
Originally Posted by halfcamoflauge
yes my daughter had got into irene mcormack and she was meant to attend there Jan just gone but we came back to the uk. We used to live right across the road from the school. The children seemed well behaved when they were going to and from school. The dicipline is there most definately. The fees were about $3000 for the year but then you had to get the uniforms which would cost about $500 plus you have books to get also. We have a friend who's child goes there and she likes it, (they are english but not catholic)but they have to let so many in.When we put our daughters name down we had to pay $300 to secure her place but when we canceled it we couldn't get a refund, so make sure you ask first about the deposit. We had another friend who also wasn't catholic and they again put a $300 deposit down for the application form but they didn't get a place and no refund. Some people said it was 'too catholic' if you get my drift and they seem to really preach about it within the school. All in all no complaints from people who i know go there but people said that Quinns Beach sec was a better school.
If you need anymore info about the place don't hesitate to ask.
nat.
Old Sep 10th 2010, 10:11 am
Forum Regular

Talking Re: help needed! area&schools ect??

Hi, no don't know anything about waikiki at all, in fact never heard of it.
We first went out to melbourne in 2005 but only stayed there for 3 months as none of us could get a job, we just found it really hard, we heard that there was a boom in Perth(my husbands a bricklayer)so we drove over across the nullabor and landed in Mandurah. We had some friends who had moved to Butler up north so we visited them a few times and i just felt a lot happier while i was up there. We bought some land in Butler and decided to build, we stayed in a rental until the house was built. While we were in the rental the kids went to St andrews catholic primary but once the house was built we took them out of there and put them into East Butler Primary cause it was just round the corner and they could walk themselves to school. We had eventually moved into our newly built house but something was missing. Couldn't put our fingers on it at the time but the kids were really bored in school, they never really pushed them and when i asked for homework they said they don't give that out as once the kids are at home its 'family time'. In the meantime we were missing family and just silly things like the birds tweeting, the snow, autum, some certain foods, curries, proper chinese food, tv,shopping, decent clothes. It was a lot of things that we missed and we found Perth to be really slow and nothing much else to do but go to the beaches.We also found that a lot of people seem to 'move on' from Perth, either back to the uk or to somewhere else within australia. We could make some friends but within 6 months they tended to move. If you are planning on flying anywhere it would cost you a fortune. I had no problems with the Australians at all, i worked in 'coles' supermarket and were around Australians a lot and they were all nice. Now we are back home in the uk, the kids are in really good schools but we can see the difference in 5yrs of being away. I don't want my kids to grow up here in the uk as its gone downhill so much. We are loving being back but we are planning our next move back to Australia about August next year but back to Melbourne. There was so much more to do there and places to go and not so isolated. We feel we're really gonna settle this time around. The kids are torn at the moment because they are in 2 really good schools and have met up with all their friends from when they first lived here, both of my girls don't want to go back to oz at the moment as they love being back in their schools, but we can see the bigger picture. My eldest has adapted really well to going back into school and while she was in Australia she did go to 5 schools within 5yrs, but that was purley our fault as parents as not settling down in one place, but when you do go to a new country you hear so many different stories and whats good for them might not be good for you, we have learnt so much from our experinces and the mistakes we have made but one day we'll put it all back right.
I wish you all the best of luck and again if you do need anymore info don't hesitate to ask.
nat
Old Sep 10th 2010, 12:54 pm
Forum Regular

thankyou halfcamoflauge..everything you have said ive found really helpful..i hope all turns out well ..i understand what you mean about the uk..and not wanting to bring your children up here!..not to cause offence i feel the country has gone to the dogs!!..saying that there are still some nice parts left ..we have chosen perth due to construction work!!..i just hope we all settle..we will miss things as you have said..but we will give it 100%..what have we got to lose ..good luck to you all hope things fall into place
Originally Posted by halfcamoflauge
Hi, no don't know anything about waikiki at all, in fact never heard of it.
We first went out to melbourne in 2005 but only stayed there for 3 months as none of us could get a job, we just found it really hard, we heard that there was a boom in Perth(my husbands a bricklayer)so we drove over across the nullabor and landed in Mandurah. We had some friends who had moved to Butler up north so we visited them a few times and i just felt a lot happier while i was up there. We bought some land in Butler and decided to build, we stayed in a rental until the house was built. While we were in the rental the kids went to St andrews catholic primary but once the house was built we took them out of there and put them into East Butler Primary cause it was just round the corner and they could walk themselves to school. We had eventually moved into our newly built house but something was missing. Couldn't put our fingers on it at the time but the kids were really bored in school, they never really pushed them and when i asked for homework they said they don't give that out as once the kids are at home its 'family time'. In the meantime we were missing family and just silly things like the birds tweeting, the snow, autum, some certain foods, curries, proper chinese food, tv,shopping, decent clothes. It was a lot of things that we missed and we found Perth to be really slow and nothing much else to do but go to the beaches.We also found that a lot of people seem to 'move on' from Perth, either back to the uk or to somewhere else within australia. We could make some friends but within 6 months they tended to move. If you are planning on flying anywhere it would cost you a fortune. I had no problems with the Australians at all, i worked in 'coles' supermarket and were around Australians a lot and they were all nice. Now we are back home in the uk, the kids are in really good schools but we can see the difference in 5yrs of being away. I don't want my kids to grow up here in the uk as its gone downhill so much. We are loving being back but we are planning our next move back to Australia about August next year but back to Melbourne. There was so much more to do there and places to go and not so isolated. We feel we're really gonna settle this time around. The kids are torn at the moment because they are in 2 really good schools and have met up with all their friends from when they first lived here, both of my girls don't want to go back to oz at the moment as they love being back in their schools, but we can see the bigger picture. My eldest has adapted really well to going back into school and while she was in Australia she did go to 5 schools within 5yrs, but that was purley our fault as parents as not settling down in one place, but when you do go to a new country you hear so many different stories and whats good for them might not be good for you, we have learnt so much from our experinces and the mistakes we have made but one day we'll put it all back right.
I wish you all the best of luck and again if you do need anymore info don't hesitate to ask.
nat
Old Sep 10th 2010, 1:00 pm
Forum Regular

No problem. Just Pm 'd you.
Good luck with everything.
Old Sep 11th 2010, 7:25 am
Forum Regular

sean bassett is just really nicesean bassett is just really nicesean bassett is just really nicesean bassett is just really nicesean bassett is just really nicesean bassett is just really nicesean bassett is just really nicesean bassett is just really nicesean bassett is just really nicesean bassett is just really nicesean bassett is just really nice

hi we have just moved
living in quinns temporary so we looked at quinns bapitist seems an excellent school, but we found a long term rental in greenwood nearer to my work, my son has just started duncraig senior high and my others duncraig primary
they both seem good schools and are government schools not private, i dont have anything against private but didnt know if we could afford them on our 1 wage so opted for duncraig, its higher placed in the league tables then quinns but i guess you cant always go on that, but seems ok after the first week, my son said its ok and he seems happy , which is a first for him being 13
Old Sep 11th 2010, 9:25 am
Forum Regular

thats a great help thanks i have looked into duncraig senior (heard good reports)..did you have any difficulties getting your son in?..waiting lists or catchment only rules?..we too worry about private school fees.(also for time being one wage only)..im really glad your son has settled..and wish you all well
Originally Posted by sean bassett
hi we have just moved
living in quinns temporary so we looked at quinns bapitist seems an excellent school, but we found a long term rental in greenwood nearer to my work, my son has just started duncraig senior high and my others duncraig primary
they both seem good schools and are government schools not private, i dont have anything against private but didnt know if we could afford them on our 1 wage so opted for duncraig, its higher placed in the league tables then quinns but i guess you cant always go on that, but seems ok after the first week, my son said its ok and he seems happy , which is a first for him being 13
Old Sep 11th 2010, 9:31 am
Forum Regular

sean bassett is just really nicesean bassett is just really nicesean bassett is just really nicesean bassett is just really nicesean bassett is just really nicesean bassett is just really nicesean bassett is just really nicesean bassett is just really nicesean bassett is just really nicesean bassett is just really nicesean bassett is just really nice

hi no didnt have any prob geeting him in , also put my year 6 daughters name down for when she needs senior
Old Sep 11th 2010, 3:06 pm
Forum Regular

thanks for that
Originally Posted by sean bassett
hi no didnt have any prob geeting him in , also put my year 6 daughters name down for when she needs senior
Old Sep 14th 2010, 1:05 pm
Just Joined

tryn67 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there

we have been here a year and before we left I was on this sight all day! just thought would jump on and see if I could help as i found any answer a fantastic help. We live in Floreat this is a great suburb with a good state high school shenton college. my kids are at the local primary and loving it. Its fairly pricey but thats the price you pay to be 10 mins on a bus or train from city and ten mins in car to beach. My understanding is you can live in a cheaper suburb and pay for privates school to avoid the dodgy public schools or live in a pricier suburb where the public schools are good. Good luck with wherever you decide to be Perth is a great place to be.
Old Sep 14th 2010, 1:14 pm
Forum Regular

thanks for that..its great to hear from someone..who's been through all this! ...but now settled in perth and reccommending it great
Originally Posted by tryn67
Hi there

we have been here a year and before we left I was on this sight all day! just thought would jump on and see if I could help as i found any answer a fantastic help. We live in Floreat this is a great suburb with a good state high school shenton college. my kids are at the local primary and loving it. Its fairly pricey but thats the price you pay to be 10 mins on a bus or train from city and ten mins in car to beach. My understanding is you can live in a cheaper suburb and pay for privates school to avoid the dodgy public schools or live in a pricier suburb where the public schools are good. Good luck with wherever you decide to be Perth is a great place to be.
Old Sep 14th 2010, 1:41 pm
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tryn67
Hi there

I would go as far as saying exceptionally pricey. Beautiful suburb but I would hazard a guess that the average migrant couldn't afford to buy there.
Old Sep 14th 2010, 4:53 pm
Forum Regular

yes im afraid so!..i have checked out and admired...but sadly way out of my price range...
Originally Posted by northernbird
I would go as far as saying exceptionally pricey. Beautiful suburb but I would hazard a guess that the average migrant couldn't afford to buy there.