Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Help: Need an ant-killer that works

Help: Need an ant-killer that works

Old Jun 15th 2009, 4:41 am
BE Forum Addict

ozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Help: Need an ant-killer that works

Ants are taking over the asylum .

First I tried Mortein's Knock-down multi-purpose spray. The ants were laughing at that.

Yesterday we bought Hovex Ant-Killer, which is just for ants.

Well, our black ants seem to be imune to that too. We have a whole ant army tramping upwards on our house wall and disappearing over the roof. I fear they are getting under the roof tiles into the roof space and are plotting an attack through the air-con vents. I don't mind ants in the lawn, but I really don't want them in the roof.

Joking apart, can anyone recommend an ant-killer that actually works?

Thanks.
Old Jun 15th 2009, 5:10 am
Just Joined

fairywings will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Help: Need an ant-killer that works

You could try peppermint oil, they really don't like it, or put vaseline on the walls where they climb up as it stops them climbing.
Old Jun 15th 2009, 5:17 am
ABCDiamond

The guy that does my annual pest control gave me something, it's stored in a jam jar now. Not sure what it is, but it works very well !!

Just about all the other commercial stuff seems to only work for a short time.

Old Jun 15th 2009, 5:21 am
Just Joined

Duncans mum is on a distinguished road

ant sand always works for me - we get inundated with the blinking things
Old Jun 15th 2009, 5:24 am
BE Forum Addict

ozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Duncans mum
ant sand always works for me - we get inundated with the blinking things
We've used ant sand before as well. But unfortunately these ants climb up the house wall.

Might try the vaseline on the wall and the ant sand at the base.
Old Jun 15th 2009, 5:44 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

For an immediate feeling of satisfaction, squirt them with Crunchy Crawler. Hundreds dead just like that but you really need one that they eat and take back to their nest to get rid of properly.
Old Jun 15th 2009, 5:55 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Get one of these...

Old Jun 15th 2009, 8:03 am
gjs
Forum Regular

gjs has much to be proud ofgjs has much to be proud ofgjs has much to be proud ofgjs has much to be proud ofgjs has much to be proud ofgjs has much to be proud ofgjs has much to be proud ofgjs has much to be proud ofgjs has much to be proud ofgjs has much to be proud ofgjs has much to be proud of

Put talcum powder around the perimeter of your house,they don't like it.I also use a product called Ant Rid,it is a liquid that they eat and take back to their nest which kills them,although I don't know how well it would work outdoors - maybe put a couple of drops under the eaves where the trail is?
Old Jun 15th 2009, 8:07 am

Siren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozhappy981

First I tried Mortein's Knock-down multi-purpose spray. The ants were laughing at that.

Well, our black ants seem to be imune to that too. We have a whole ant army tramping upwards on our house wall and disappearing over the roof. I fear they are getting under the roof tiles into the roof space and are plotting an attack through the air-con vents. I don't mind ants in the lawn, but I really don't want them in the roof.

Thanks.
Its really bad in Perth cos its been so dry. With more regular rain they will disappear. I always use Ant rid... seems to work for me.
Old Jun 15th 2009, 8:20 am
BE Forum Addict

Thanks guys. Will be off to Bunnings tonight for some Ant Rid and to buy a ladder so we can see where exactly they disappear on/into the roof ...

Karma sent
Old Jun 15th 2009, 10:57 am
BE Forum Addict

donna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to behold

ZUES,ive said it soo many times before,if kills cockies,ants the lot for up to 3/4 months at a time
Old Jun 15th 2009, 11:06 am
Forum Regular

buzz will become famous soon enoughbuzz will become famous soon enough

The best thing is a bait that they take back to the nest - it takes a little while to work, but I've found them to be really effective. Sprays are only temporary - they just find another route in.
Old Jun 17th 2009, 12:01 pm
"At Home"

ekiec is just really niceekiec is just really niceekiec is just really niceekiec is just really niceekiec is just really niceekiec is just really niceekiec is just really niceekiec is just really nice

Originally Posted by buzz
The best thing is a bait that they take back to the nest - it takes a little while to work, but I've found them to be really effective. Sprays are only temporary - they just find another route in.
On that use cornflour- they take it back to the colony but cannot digest....Bye ..bye.
Old Jun 17th 2009, 3:04 pm
Forum Regular

Rob12paws is a jewel in the roughRob12paws is a jewel in the roughRob12paws is a jewel in the roughRob12paws is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by ozhappy981

Thanks.
Equal parts borax and icing sugar - or borax and jam. The borax will poison them but not before they can carry it back to the nest. Should work in about three or four days.

Keep it clear of pets and toddlers.
Old Jun 19th 2009, 4:02 am
Just Joined

Inventra.Roo is an unknown quantity at this point

Ant rid is great for killing the nest. Have used it many times....for that instant kill there is a bug stuff from Bunnings. Forget Mortein, well over rated, it is a concentrate, about 300ml bottle, green and yellow in colour, lasts forever and kills everything in sight!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.