Reload this Page >

Help with My Parents

Help with My Parents

Old Jul 23rd 2003, 5:09 pm
Member who went to Aus

cutgrass is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Help with Migrating My Parents / Agents

Hope somebody can help.

My wife and I are migrating end of this year (on a permanent residency Visa).

She is an only child and her parents would like to come out and live with us in Australia, which would be very handy as we would like to plan a family out there (resident baby sitters).

They are 58 and 59 years old, both took early retirement, and have some 'funds' to live on (shares, pension, equity).

The problem is we have no idea how they should progress their Visa or what their chances are.

If anyone has any similar experience please reply. Alternatively if anyone can recommend a GOOD migration agent preferably in the North of England that can help us I'd appreciate it.

Thanks.

Last edited by cutgrass; Jul 23rd 2003 at 5:26 pm.
Old Jul 23rd 2003, 6:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jolyn is an unknown quantity at this point

Retirement visa. Check the Australian immigration website for the rules - www.immi.gov.au I think - and see whether it works for your parents.

Avoid migration agents. Many previous posters to this site will tell you they just charge you money for work you could as easily have done yourself. Especially for something where the rules are straightforward like retirement visas. Agents don't have a particular 'edge' to offer with Australian immigration.

Best wishes.
Old Jul 23rd 2003, 10:11 pm
visa'd member oh yeah!

CROSSY is an unknown quantity at this point

Whilst it's fair to say agents dont have an edge ( i dont think they do ) i think its wholey unfair to say avoid them, if you're happy with the paperwork and research then do it your self, you could save £s but what price would you put on the visa??We felt that our fee was very fair and reasonable if it meant that we would get the outcome we desired, we are by the way still waiting but have faith in our agent ( Gomatilda ) as do many others on this site with various agents. My advice is, therefore speak to some of the better agents (search this site for names) , do some of your own research and weigh it up for your self, and good luck in all you do.
Old Jul 23rd 2003, 11:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

dracupg is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Help with Migrating My Parents / Agents

Originally posted by cutgrass
Hope somebody can help.

She is an only child and her parents would like to come out and live with us in Australia, which would be very handy as we would like to plan a family out there (resident baby sitters).

They are 58 and 59 years old, both took early retirement, and have some 'funds' to live on (shares, pension, equity).

The problem is we have no idea how they should progress their Visa or what their chances are.

If anyone has any similar experience please reply. Alternatively if anyone can recommend a GOOD migration agent preferably in the North of England that can help us I'd appreciate it.

Thanks.
It sounds like you may have a case for a Remaining Relative visa http://www.immi.gov.au/migration/fam...g_relative.htm as it looks like the balance of your family is in Australia. I wouldn’t take my word for it though!

Old Jul 23rd 2003, 11:58 pm
Migration Agent

Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help with Migrating My Parents / Agents

Your parents' strategy is probably to apply for a Retirement visa (subclass number 410) to get them to Australia reasonably quickly (processing times are about 3 months at present through the Australian High Commission in London, so long as you front end load the visa application with the police reports and medicals), and to then apply for a permanent Parent visa (probably the Contributory Parent visa) once you have been living in Australia for at least two years (when you can sponsor their permanent residency visa application).

More details are here:
http://www.gomatilda.com/news/article.cfm?articleid=265
http://www.australia.org.uk/VTI/HTML/410_ret.html

It probably goes without saying that although we're not in the North of England we will be delighted to assist.

Hope this helps.

Originally posted by cutgrass
Hope somebody can help.

Thanks.
Old Jul 24th 2003, 12:15 am
Forum Regular

paula m is an unknown quantity at this point

I dont know if you will find this usefull or not but it is working great for us.
My parents came out on a holiday visa and found that as long as they bough a new property they were able to do that while on a hiliday visa with permistion from the foreign investment board. They bough a villa and they are coming over on a six month holiday visa going back for a couple of months and then coming again for six months. that way they get to keep their life in the uk and have a great one here as well for most ot the year.