Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Help my Nana's social life!

Help my Nana's social life!

Old Aug 23rd 2005, 12:27 pm
Forum Regular

kelusa has a brilliant futurekelusa has a brilliant futurekelusa has a brilliant futurekelusa has a brilliant futurekelusa has a brilliant futurekelusa has a brilliant futurekelusa has a brilliant future
Default Help my Nana's social life!

Hi everyone!
I'll be heading out to Oz 3 weeks today and I can't wait. I'd be really grateful if anyone could help me with what might be a rather odd question! How do older people who can't drive make friends? My nana is a young at heart 69 year old living in Perth and I know she is getting a little lonely. She is a widow so I think it would be great for her to make some good friends. I think she is a little shy although she would never admit to this! Has anyone else got older relatives or friends in the same situation? Or are there any older people on the forum with any advice?
Thanks,
Kel
Old Aug 23rd 2005, 12:33 pm
small steps long journey

seang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help my Nana's social life!

Originally Posted by kelusa
Or are there any older people on the forum with any advice?
Thanks,
Kel
Sorry cant help you but Bix should be along soon
Old Aug 23rd 2005, 1:23 pm
Dismembered Bat

ProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to all
Arrow Re: Help my Nana's social life!

Hi everyone!
I'll be heading out to Oz 3 weeks today and I can't wait. I'd be really grateful if anyone could help me with what might be a rather odd question! How do older people who can't drive make friends? My nana is a young at heart 69 year old living in Perth and I know she is getting a little lonely. She is a widow so I think it would be great for her to make some good friends. I think she is a little shy although she would never admit to this! Has anyone else got older relatives or friends in the same situation? Or are there any older people on the forum with any advice?
Thanks,
Kel
Hi Kel,

My Mum has belonged to U3A in Brisbane for many, many years and has met loads of people through it, some of whom have become very close friends.

"What is U3A?" I hear you ask! Here's a description from U3A WA:
"U3A (UWA) was founded in 1986 to provide learning opportunities for people in their retirement years who live in the Perth Metropolitan area. U3A is open to anyone over the age of 50 and aims to give members the opportunity to develop new interests and learn new subjects. U3A (UWA) offers its members opportunities to interact through learning and teaching, without distinction between those who learn and those who teach, and thereby encourages the intellectual, cultural and creative abilities of members.

History of U3A

Some people find the title University misleading. It is based on the mediaeval Latin word "universitas", that is a group of people getting together to learn for pleasure. Started in Toulouse, France in 1972, its object is to provide learning opportunities for seniors in an informal and unstructured environment.

This is quite different from that provided by professional educational organisations. The concept became so popular that U3As began to develop in many European countries and are now found throughout the world.

The first U3A was introduced into Australia in Victoria in 1985 and the movement has since spread throughout Australia to every State and Territory."
So, it's a place to learn something new for pleasure and meet new people in a similar age group at the same time!

Have a look at the website for the one in Perth (can your Nana catch a bus into town?) or there's another at Mandurah. The city one also has courses available in and about Perth - see the "Courses" link on their website.

Hope this helps, my parents got/get (my Dad died in 1999) a lot of enjoyment from it.

PR

Old Aug 23rd 2005, 7:37 pm
Forum Regular

kelusa has a brilliant futurekelusa has a brilliant futurekelusa has a brilliant futurekelusa has a brilliant futurekelusa has a brilliant futurekelusa has a brilliant futurekelusa has a brilliant future

Thanks for that I'll pass it on to her. I know that she'd probably lack the confidence to actually go on her own but I could take her I guess. We'll have to check it out.
Kel
Old Aug 23rd 2005, 8:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Maple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to behold

Thanks for that I'll pass it on to her. I know that she'd probably lack the confidence to actually go on her own but I could take her I guess. We'll have to check it out.
Kel
Hello!..just before i left Australia last Feb- i met a lady who has been living in Perth she was late 60's and was getting lots of pleasure from helping out (volunteering) at the local retirement home....even her sons were commenting how they never see her cos she is sooo busy.
Can she play piano? or even reading to the older folks is such a help to them....tho mind you some people fidn that a bit depressing you know seeing their future as such.
also another thing is lawn bowls ..very popular...or even try a cards group..they usualy meet in the RSl clubs and places like that....
good luck *S*