Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Help on moving for my Girlfriend and I Please

Help on moving for my Girlfriend and I Please

Old Jan 18th 2012, 10:47 pm
Just Joined

BarryMc is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Help on moving for my Girlfriend and I Please

Hello all. Im Barry from Northern Ireland. I have recently received my working holiday visa and will be booking flights at the end of the month for the start of April. We are heading for Brisbane. I am a Truck Mechanic and my GF is a senior care assistant in a nursing home.

My problem is I have never been to Australia and so when i search up places to live they could all be more or less the same. I would like to land there and go straight to maybe a rental and have a base for a few weeks till we can find jobs and a nice place to stay. We arent really bothered about being close to the City as we are both from rural areas here but being beside the coast would be nice.

There is only the two of us going and we are both early twenties. Id like to land and go to a nice place on landing as it will be a long trip and dont want to be jet lagged in some dank bed sit. So i was hoping I could get some tips and advice on what i should be doing now.

Thanks for any tips and advice given.
Old Jan 19th 2012, 12:35 am
Almost more Oz than Pom

KJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help on moving for my Girlfriend and I Please

Straight off the plane you would be better going to a hotel/motel for a few days whilst you get over the journey and sort yourselves out.

What sort of working holiday are you planning? One where you move around the country working a few weeks in each place, or one where you have a full-time base in Brisbane and go away on trips? If you plan on moving around you will want furnished rentals which are normally fairly expensive and hard to find, so if you plan on a long stay in one place it may be better to rent unfurnished and buy cheap (or second-hand) furniture, crockery, cutlery, cooking utensils, etc.

You might try contacting the Irish Club - I have no idea whether they can help you in any way but it can't hurt to try.

Last edited by KJCherokee; Jan 19th 2012 at 12:39 am.
Old Jan 19th 2012, 12:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BarryMc
Hello all. Im Barry from Northern Ireland. thumbup:
I'm sure you are.

A good trick when landing in a new place after a long trip for the first time is to spend up big. Grab yourself a nice hotel, jucuzzi, massage girls, all the 24 hour room service you want, and settle in nicely. After all first impressions mean a lot.
Old Jan 19th 2012, 7:29 am
Addicted to browsing BE

goldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond repute

Most of the Brisbane, Gold Coast and Sunshine Coast backpacker hostels have double rooms. Advantages are that they are cheap, you meet loads of people and you're not tied into a three month tenancy (which I imagine would be the shortest available). You also have time to find your ideal location.
Old Jan 19th 2012, 8:16 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by goldchoccycoin
Most of the Brisbane, Gold Coast and Sunshine Coast backpacker hostels have double rooms. Advantages are that they are cheap.
The dorm rooms are cheaper plus you have the benefit of being able to watch backpackers shagging when they think no one can see 'cos they've got a flimsy towel tucked into the top bunk mattress.