Reload this Page >

Help with moving to Australia!

Help with moving to Australia!

Old Jun 18th 2012, 10:43 am
Just Joined

tishanaince is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Help with moving to Australia!

Hey!

I just got a new modelling assignment in Sydney - and need to relocate to Sydney for 4-6 months from Liverpool.

This is my first time to Australia and it would be great to connect and meet with expats in Australia. A little nervous about living in Sydney as I dont know anyone there yet... so looking fwd to meet a few expats on this forum.

Also, need help in choosing a moving company to help with my move.

Please PM me or reply to this thread!

Looking forward to hearing from you all!

Many thanks!

Tish
Old Jun 18th 2012, 4:57 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help with moving to Australia!

Originally Posted by tishanaince
Hey!

I just got a new modelling assignment in Sydney - and need to relocate to Sydney for 4-6 months from Liverpool.

This is my first time to Australia and it would be great to connect and meet with expats in Australia. A little nervous about living in Sydney as I dont know anyone there yet... so looking fwd to meet a few expats on this forum.

Also, need help in choosing a moving company to help with my move.

Please PM me or reply to this thread!

Looking forward to hearing from you all!

Many thanks!

Tish
Welcome to BE

I'm assuming you already have a visa sorted out?
How much stuff are you looking at moving? Presumably not everything if its only for a few months?
Old Jun 19th 2012, 4:41 am
Just Joined

Hey Pollyana,

Yes, got my visa sorted out! Thankfully

Now need to find a moving company to help with my move. Got a few recommendations from some friends here in UK, but I am confused as there are different opinions about these companies.

So, looking to hear from expats in this forum about the companies they used personally.

Apart from that also looking for suggestions on settling down in Sydney and meeting new people! 6 months is a long time so trying to make sure that I make a few good friends over there.
Old Jun 19th 2012, 8:16 am
BE Forum Addict

Tramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to behold

AngloPacific have been very good so far for me.

A friend of mine recommended them to me.
Old Jun 21st 2012, 4:21 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Tramps_mate
AngloPacific have been very good so far for me.

A friend of mine recommended them to me.
hey .. ..
thanks for the advice . Just a quick question . when you moved with AngloPacific

1. was the cost quoted equal to the actual cost
2. was the time quoted was correct , or did they take a longer time .
3. Delivery condition , did all your stuff come in good condition .
4. Would you recommend this company to me

please do let me know it would be really helpful .

thanks .
Tish
Old Jun 21st 2012, 5:10 am
BE Enthusiast

dave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, congrats on the move, if your on a working holiday visa its worth mentioning that you can only work for one employer for 3 months before having to switch to another employer. Unless they changed it, it has been awhile since I was on a whv

As for shipping, if you just have a bunch of boxes rather than an entire house filled with furniture to ship, then I recommend excess-baggage.com

I have used them several times and am waiting for a shipment at the minute from them of 6 boxes arriving from the uk to perth thats due in the next couple of weeks.
They are the cheapest in all the shopping around I did. those 6 boxes cost me around 130 pounds.

However theres a catch, some companys will also charge a customs inspection fee which is to be paid when they arrive in the country, this adds around another 100 pounds to the price.

So watch out for that in small print on any shipping company you use. But I would recommend them, how much are you shipping?
Old Jun 21st 2012, 6:41 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

AQIS set the Customs Inspection fee; they may also charge for treatment or destruction of items, depending on what they find - that obviously cannot be paid in advance but until the stuff has been inspected the cost cannot be invoiced.
Old Jun 21st 2012, 9:11 am
BE Forum Addict

pumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, that isn't the shipping company charging that, and the working holiday visa has been six months with each employer for quite some time.

Op, six months will absolutely fly by. :-)
Old Jun 21st 2012, 3:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

canadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dave99
Hi, congrats on the move, if your on a working holiday visa its worth mentioning that you can only work for one employer for 3 months before having to switch to another employer. Unless they changed it, it has been awhile since I was on a whv
They changed it a long time ago, it's 6 months now for each employer and you an get a 2nd year added if you do 3 months regional work