Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Help Melbourne move from Sydney

Help Melbourne move from Sydney

Old May 16th 2007, 1:26 am
Tired but Happy

poshrice has much to be proud ofposhrice has much to be proud ofposhrice has much to be proud ofposhrice has much to be proud ofposhrice has much to be proud ofposhrice has much to be proud ofposhrice has much to be proud ofposhrice has much to be proud ofposhrice has much to be proud ofposhrice has much to be proud ofposhrice has much to be proud of
Red face Help Melbourne move from Sydney

Hi haven't been on here for ages. We have been living in Sydney now since Jan last year and we are quite happy with where we live (Glenwood in the Hills district) but we are been given the opportunity to move to Melbourne with my hubby's job the office is based in Port Melbourne so we have been looking in and around Point cook as it wouldn't be to much of a commute. One thing i wanted to know was is what age do they start school in Victoria i was looking at a website which said they can start prep at 4yrs now is this just independent schools or public schools too as i was looking into putting Thomas into a prep school here in Sydney as he is desperate to learn and daycare is not enough for him. Also can anyone shed any light other areas for me to look at within a decent commute to Port Melbourne we would like either a 3 or 4 bed for no more than $360 a week which is what we are paying now obviously less is better but i would like to be nearer to the coast than we are now as we are about an hour away from the beach.

cheers
poshrice
Old May 16th 2007, 1:51 am
Hants to Mel Aug 05

Lindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to all
Default Re: Help Melbourne move from Sydney

I dont live over Point Cook way so dont know too much about it. However if you come over to Britvics there are people who do live that way and will be able to help you out with more info. Good luck with the move.

http://z7.invisionfree.com/BritVics/
Old May 19th 2007, 10:50 pm
Don't use It's green card

baconmaster is a glorious beacon of lightbaconmaster is a glorious beacon of lightbaconmaster is a glorious beacon of lightbaconmaster is a glorious beacon of lightbaconmaster is a glorious beacon of lightbaconmaster is a glorious beacon of lightbaconmaster is a glorious beacon of lightbaconmaster is a glorious beacon of lightbaconmaster is a glorious beacon of lightbaconmaster is a glorious beacon of lightbaconmaster is a glorious beacon of light

Point Cook is pretty crappy is it not ? Yeah, nice big houses but I am sure there's a good reason why there are so cheap.

Originally Posted by poshrice
Hi haven't been on here for ages. We have been living in Sydney now since Jan last year and we are quite happy with where we live (Glenwood in the Hills district) but we are been given the opportunity to move to Melbourne with my hubby's job the office is based in Port Melbourne so we have been looking in and around Point cook as it wouldn't be to much of a commute. One thing i wanted to know was is what age do they start school in Victoria i was looking at a website which said they can start prep at 4yrs now is this just independent schools or public schools too as i was looking into putting Thomas into a prep school here in Sydney as he is desperate to learn and daycare is not enough for him. Also can anyone shed any light other areas for me to look at within a decent commute to Port Melbourne we would like either a 3 or 4 bed for no more than $360 a week which is what we are paying now obviously less is better but i would like to be nearer to the coast than we are now as we are about an hour away from the beach.

cheers
poshrice
Old May 20th 2007, 11:15 am
Former Resident Visa

Jaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond repute

Fraser lives over that way and he has a house for sale!
I'll try and find the post....
J x
Old May 20th 2007, 11:17 am
Former Resident Visa

Jaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond repute

This was his post:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...ght=point+cook

J x
Old May 20th 2007, 11:19 am
Australian Citizen

Weirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lindsay Clan
I dont live over Point Cook way so dont know too much about it. However if you come over to Britvics there are people who do live that way and will be able to help you out with more info. Good luck with the move.

http://z7.invisionfree.com/BritVics/
Can you advertise that website

I agree with Baconmaster ....Point Cook may be alright in 10 years time ...but at the moment, it's a sparse building site.

Cheap for a reason.
Old May 20th 2007, 12:26 pm
Tired but Happy

poshrice has much to be proud ofposhrice has much to be proud ofposhrice has much to be proud ofposhrice has much to be proud ofposhrice has much to be proud ofposhrice has much to be proud ofposhrice has much to be proud ofposhrice has much to be proud ofposhrice has much to be proud ofposhrice has much to be proud ofposhrice has much to be proud of

Is that the only reason thats not a problem to us as the area we live in now is still being developed the biggest issue for us is cost and the commute for hubby. at the moment there a 3 new houses being built in our street alone so it is something we are used to.
cheers for the input though any ideas gratefully accepted.

we need a 3-4 bed house with in a 30 minute commute of Rocklea Drive Port Melbourne for no more than $360 a week rental and less than $340k to buy once we have PR.

Poshrice
Old May 21st 2007, 10:52 am
BE Forum Addict

Pomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond repute

Point Cook has the major disadvantage that it is a big development with no infrastructure improvements and no public transport.
The Westgate Freeway is the main (and only direct link) into the city over the heavily congested Westgate Bridge. Travel time at rush hour is horrendous, out of rush hour it is OK.

To get to Port Melbourne from PC, you would need to go over the WGB unfortunately.
Old May 21st 2007, 2:33 pm
Tired but Happy

so where would you suggest i should look with the criteria i have as i have never been to Melbourne so would appreciate the input.

poshrice
Old May 21st 2007, 9:34 pm
Former Resident Visa

My Dad lived on the Mornington Peninsula in Mt. Eliza, lovely place and nearby beaches. I liked Mornington the best, I cannot describe why, it just felt right and loved the area.
Do a house search on www.realestate.com.au the house prices in Mt. Eliza are dearer than other areas, South Frankston is cheaper and so is Mornington.
Like Lindsay said have a look at Britvics as quite a few are from this area.
It is about 45km from CBD Melbourne but Frankston has a station.
J x
Old May 21st 2007, 10:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

Rachel1978 has a reputation beyond reputeRachel1978 has a reputation beyond reputeRachel1978 has a reputation beyond reputeRachel1978 has a reputation beyond reputeRachel1978 has a reputation beyond reputeRachel1978 has a reputation beyond reputeRachel1978 has a reputation beyond reputeRachel1978 has a reputation beyond reputeRachel1978 has a reputation beyond reputeRachel1978 has a reputation beyond reputeRachel1978 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pomster
Point Cook has the major disadvantage that it is a big development with no infrastructure improvements and no public transport.
The Westgate Freeway is the main (and only direct link) into the city over the heavily congested Westgate Bridge. Travel time at rush hour is horrendous, out of rush hour it is OK.

To get to Port Melbourne from PC, you would need to go over the WGB unfortunately.

There is some public transport in Point Cook, I have a bus service that stops practically outside my door and will take me to Laverton Station. Laverton Station is only about a five minute drive away and I believe there is going to be a station added in Point Cook as well. I do agree about the infrastructure, its not very good, I think give the place 5 years and it will be ok. Probably why were moving I guess