Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

HELP!! Medicare while here on holiday???

HELP!! Medicare while here on holiday???

Old Sep 14th 2009, 5:27 am
Living the dream!

kar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to all
Default HELP!! Medicare while here on holiday???

My brother in law is over from Scotland staying with us. He has been touring the west coast of WA for the past fortnight, and is in the process of flying from Broome to Perth as I type. The thing is the TIT thinks he has broken his collar bone!

What is the state of play with hospital treatment? Do we jsut go to the hospital and he will be seen? Will we be expected to pay a fair whack (he's only 20 and skint, so hubby and I would need to pay)?

Any help or advice would be great, thanks!

K xx
Old Sep 14th 2009, 5:59 am
BE Enthusiast

shears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: HELP!! Medicare while here on holiday???

He should be ok according to Medicare... "Reciprocal health care agreements cover treatment that is medically necessary. Medically necessary treatment means any ill-health or injury which occurs while you are in Australia and requires treatment before you return home."

Here's the link if you need more info

http://www.medicareaustralia.gov.au/...isitors/uk.jsp

Just make sure he takes his passport with him to the hospital. Hope he's ok !
Old Sep 14th 2009, 5:59 am
BE Forum Addict

joho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kar-kier
My brother in law is over from Scotland staying with us. He has been touring the west coast of WA for the past fortnight, and is in the process of flying from Broome to Perth as I type. The thing is the TIT thinks he has broken his collar bone!

What is the state of play with hospital treatment? Do we jsut go to the hospital and he will be seen? Will we be expected to pay a fair whack (he's only 20 and skint, so hubby and I would need to pay)?

K xx
Yep turn up at A&e and he will get seen with no charge.

Jo
Old Sep 14th 2009, 6:00 am
BE Forum Addict

Kingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to behold

I think he would be fully covered under the reciprocal agreement between the UK and Australia. Phone medicare and ask?
Old Sep 14th 2009, 6:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Lend him your husbands medicare card and go direct to the hospital

Doubt if they will check and if they do you'll only be back in the first position. The receptionist will see the card, the doctor or treating staff wont.

Thats the Sarf London Solution !

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Sep 14th 2009 at 6:07 am.
Old Sep 14th 2009, 6:08 am
Living the dream!

kar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to all

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Lend him your husbands medicare card and go direct to the hospital

Doubt if they will check and if they do you'll only be back in the first position. The receptionist will see the card, the doctor or treating staff wont.

Thats the Sarf London Solution !
Lol, well they do have the same first initial and surname!!

Thanks people! So i just need the passport, wasn't sure what I needed to take with us!

Idiot fractured it on day one of his trip, sandboarding! Then picking his bag up to head to the airport, he heard an almightly snap and is in agony!
What a shame that he will have to get the bus to the centre of Perth, then the train to Mandurah before he can get to a hospital
Old Sep 14th 2009, 6:32 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

K xx
Rock up to A&E and he'll get looked after. He'll need proof of UK citizenship and possibly his NHS card but if it is an emergency he's covered.
Old Sep 14th 2009, 8:51 am
BE Forum Addict

hoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond repute

Lol, well they do have the same first initial and surname!!

Thanks people! So i just need the passport, wasn't sure what I needed to take with us!

Idiot fractured it on day one of his trip, sandboarding! Then picking his bag up to head to the airport, he heard an almightly snap and is in agony!
What a shame that he will have to get the bus to the centre of Perth, then the train to Mandurah before he can get to a hospital
Did he take out travel insurance ?
Old Sep 14th 2009, 10:52 am
Living the dream!

As far as I'm aware you don't get an NHS card, well you didn't when I left 7 months ago!

Yeah, he has travel insurance.
Old Sep 14th 2009, 10:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute

As far as I'm aware you don't get an NHS card, well you didn't when I left 7 months ago!

How is he anyway?
Old Sep 14th 2009, 10:59 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Well that should cover all the costs anyway
Old Sep 14th 2009, 12:59 pm
happy here :)

PamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to behold

In Scotland you get a yellow NHS card but you never get asked for it so if you lost it years ago and forgot, it doesn't matter. In England I don't know.
Hope flight was ok and he has arrived in one piece to get mended!
Old Sep 14th 2009, 8:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

joho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PamE
In Scotland you get a yellow NHS card but you never get asked for it so if you lost it years ago and forgot, it doesn't matter. In England I don't know.
Hope flight was ok and he has arrived in one piece to get mended!
My mum fell over on her first day here, took her to hospital had xrays etc and nothing to pay. Cant even remember if we had to produce her passport, but that would surfice for proving you are from uk surely.

Jo
Old Sep 15th 2009, 1:47 am
BE Forum Addict

hoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond repute

Well he is entitled to Medicare treatment anyway. His insurance will cover any out-of-pocket expenses that medicare won't cover the full cost of.

The reason I ask about Travel Insurance is, god forbid, he really hurt himself badly and needed medical evacuation back to the UK. Medicare won't pay for that and the cost of that is mutiple $10,000. There is an aussie stuck in India who broke his back, didn't have insurance and is now stuck in hospital there since the Federal Government won't pay for a medical repatriation flight.
Old Sep 17th 2009, 12:16 am
The Brains

ray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to all

Originally Posted by hoofie2002
Well he is entitled to Medicare treatment anyway. His insurance will cover any out-of-pocket expenses that medicare won't cover the full cost of.

The reason I ask about Travel Insurance is, god forbid, he really hurt himself badly and needed medical evacuation back to the UK. Medicare won't pay for that and the cost of that is mutiple $10,000. There is an aussie stuck in India who broke his back, didn't have insurance and is now stuck in hospital there since the Federal Government won't pay for a medical repatriation flight.
You are so right! Anyone who travels without Travel Insurance which covers medivac is an idiot in my book, but so many do.

I wonder how many people are stuck in hospitals in god for saken places around the world without family or friends available to help them because they could'nt be bothered to take out insurance which included medivac home.

In my book if you can't afford the insurance you can't afford the holiday.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.