Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Help! May be moving to Brisbane

Help! May be moving to Brisbane

Old Oct 5th 2017, 3:15 pm
Just Joined

Daisypup is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Help! May be moving to Brisbane

Hi, I'm new here. So we live in Scotland and hubby just got a job offer in Brisbane. They will pay and sort visas and relocation costs ect for hubby, myself and our 3 year old but the thought of everything else we would have to sort is panicking me. Can anyone recommend good suburbs in Brisbane? How does the whole moving furniture thing work? As don't want to buy new furniture while waiting on our stuff. Any help or advice on anything would be gratefully received ☺
Old Oct 5th 2017, 10:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

freebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help! May be moving to Brisbane

Brisbane's a pretty big city, some things to consider:

- Where is his work?
- How long does he want to commute for (car, bus or train)
- House or apartment?
- Will you be renting or buying and what is the budget?
- Are you on a temp or perm visa?

Many companies do whole house removals, we used Crown, 8 years ago it was about 6,000 pounds I think. There's a whole customs/restricted items thing to consider (for example your lawnmover can't have grass on it). You'll need some temp stuff while your furnature is being shipped as it takes a long time (don't remember how long but maybe 6-8 weeks?)

As for good suburbs, there are very few bad ones, your choice is based on your budget, distance and property type. Rent can go from $400 to $2000+++ per week and Brissy is fairly cheap for an Australian city.

Plan on a few weeks temporary accommodation while you look around, find an area you like then find a rental, getting somewhere perm before you arrive is a bad idea IMHO, although we all think we can do it, pictures on realtestate websites can be very deceiving, you won't know the areas and most agents won't take a lease out remotely anyway.

Good luck, its daunting but try to be organised, start making lists!

Last edited by freebo; Oct 5th 2017 at 10:51 pm.
Old Oct 5th 2017, 10:54 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Daisypup
.... How does the whole moving furniture thing work? As don't want to buy new furniture while waiting on our stuff. .....
Some employers will put you up in temporary furnished accommodation, or rent furniture for you, but not all will. You/your husband needs to ask his prospective employer.
Old Oct 6th 2017, 2:57 am
BE Enthusiast

Still Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, I'm new here. So we live in Scotland and hubby just got a job offer in Brisbane. They will pay and sort visas and relocation costs ect for hubby, myself and our 3 year old but the thought of everything else we would have to sort is panicking me. Can anyone recommend good suburbs in Brisbane? How does the whole moving furniture thing work? As don't want to buy new furniture while waiting on our stuff. Any help or advice on anything would be gratefully received ☺
Hi

We just moved to Brisbane two / three months ago from Scotland with a toddler. Feel free to send me a pm with any questions - may not be able to answer them all but will try!
Old Oct 6th 2017, 5:06 am
BE Forum Addict

rammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond repute

First and foremost what is the visa he is being offered. A temporary visa is just that and you should prepare for having to move back when it expires.

Not everyone can apply for a PR visa and routes from temp visas are very precarious.

Do not assume anything and check all the facts for yourself.

No one wants to burst any bubbles but it is a huge step and you should be fully informed of the consequences and possible downsides as well as all the positive stuff.

Brisbane is a great place to live and it can be a great adventure but eyes open!
Old Oct 6th 2017, 7:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

The added issue with temporary visas is that you won’t get any support for child care if you decide you want to work and can get a job - that’s another issue, dependents of temporary visa holders aren’t that attractive to employers as you could be having to leave at short notice.

At least in Qld, schooling is still free for temporary visa holders so that’s one bonus.
Old Oct 6th 2017, 7:44 am
Just Joined

Smile Re: Help! May be moving to Brisbane

Hi everyone, thank you all for your replies 😊 here is a bit more info that I currently know lol
His work will be doing 457 visas for us all.
He is a software engineer
He will be working in main CBD area and o would say maybe a 45 minutes commute.
His work are putting us up for a month in a furnished place for a month but still need details on that.
Think we would be looking at between 500 and 600 for rent to start.
Our thought process is we will go for 3 years but if we like it we will look in to staying longer so we aren't selling our house.
I've read about the outside stuff 😊 I think it will prob just be the wee ones toys that we bring like his trampoline and toy house.
My mind keeps going in circles 😂
Old Oct 6th 2017, 8:13 am
Just Joined

Also a house would be preferred as well I think � ����
Old Oct 7th 2017, 4:26 am
Addicted to browsing BE

goldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond repute

That's a great budget for a house in many areas of Brisbane. There are honestly a lot of great suburbs which have excellent transport links to the CBD (I would recommend the train over the bus unless you can live near a busway - which is a dedicated road for buses).

I live in Sherwood and you would find an excellent family home in Sherwood or surrounding suburbs (Graceville, Chelmer, Corinda) for your budget. There is a train to the city (25 mins) all the necessary shops, a huge market, parks, excellent schools and childcare and the river.

Other people will also be able to give you information about their suburbs, but being on the ground is the only way to find what suits you.

Best of luck!
Old Oct 7th 2017, 7:24 am
Just Joined

Thanks goldchoccycoin � ���� when I start looking at suburbs I get confused looking at them all lol. I thought if I could get a list of some recommends ones then do homework on them and look at them when we are out there it can help narrow it down if that is possible � ����
Old Oct 10th 2017, 11:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

freebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks goldchoccycoin � ���� when I start looking at suburbs I get confused looking at them all lol. I thought if I could get a list of some recommends ones then do homework on them and look at them when we are out there it can help narrow it down if that is possible � ����
I've seen lots of threads like these, everyone recommends their area, well meaning but not useful.

Everyone tries to figure out where to live before they arrive, very difficult. We tried ourselves, when we arrived we took one look at our chosen area and didn't like it, weeks of research wasted.

The only answer is to get here and look around.

I'd also disagree with the comment above, up to $500 pw is not a great budget for a house near Brisbane, example - I put in Greenslopes, not a top area but close to town, I once worked near there, this is what came up for $500 pw https://www.realestate.com.au/rent/p...ocation-search

Go somewhere niceish like The Gap for example and you could easily double that figure.
Old Oct 11th 2017, 1:21 am
Addicted to browsing BE

goldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond repute

It's not up to $500 per week, it's $500 to $600, and I think that is a good budget for a modest house in a nice suburb. It certainly is in parts of the suburbs mentioned and in many others.

I definitely agree though that there is no way of choosing a suburb without being on the ground and hopefully the OP has plenty of time whilst in temporary accommodation to find a suburb and house that suits them.
Old Oct 11th 2017, 8:13 am
Just Joined

Thank you both for your replies 😊 Everyone has different standard of livings so I appreciate both your views.

From what you have both said though am I daft for thinking I could get a nice rental house with a pool for between £500 and £600?

I have seen some nice ones online but you can't really tell the whole are etc from the listings
Old Oct 11th 2017, 8:57 am
BE Forum Addict

rammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Assume you mean$500-600 not ££

Nice area house with pool pushing it. Oh and do not rely on photos for rentals they can be years old and very flattering. The reality can be very different. One reason agents want you to view in person before signing.

Street view can help get a feel for an area too, but there is nothing like being there.

Also I would look at PR ASAP no guarantee you will be eligible and if you are now then cannot guarantee you will be in a couple of years, things change all the time. On a 457 you can be left with 60 days to leave if the employment fails for whatever reason. It happens.
Old Oct 11th 2017, 9:07 am
Just Joined

Hi thanks for reply. What is PR? and yeah sorry $ will take a while to get out of putting the pound sign lol

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.