Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Help - looking for rental accommodation in Brisbane

Help - looking for rental accommodation in Brisbane

Old Jul 28th 2006, 10:28 am
BE Enthusiast

suebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Help - looking for rental accommodation in Brisbane

Originally Posted by JaneandJim
Hi Sue,

If you're willing to pay that much, there are some new apartments in the CBD renting for $285. Have a look at www.festivaltowers.com.au . I saw an advert in magazine and thought of you.

Jane
Hi Jane

You are an angel - just had a look on the net and I am completely smitten - dream on but I have a couple of viewings booked for tomorrow in Toowong but I will get in touch first thing tomorrow - would love to live somewhere like that even for 6 months esp with gym and pool - wicked idea - when I do get a place - I am taking you out for a beer/coffee.

Have also booked some viewings for Saturday and Monday - at least I will get some idea of what you get for that amount of rent - all from realestate.com.

Huge thank you.

Sue

Old Aug 1st 2006, 1:52 pm
Forum Regular

JPRobbo is an unknown quantity at this point

HI,

I am moving to Brisbane on the 1st September and i am trying to rent a property before i get there but Ray White Realator have told me this is not possible (or not how it is normally done!?)
Has anyone ever secured a rented property before they arrive or should i stay in a hotel for the 1st week then find somwhere when i get there??
Looking at Paddington and Bulumba, they seem nice???
Old Aug 1st 2006, 2:18 pm
tin
Brisbane bound

tin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by JPRobbo
HI,

I am moving to Brisbane on the 1st September and i am trying to rent a property before i get there but Ray White Realator have told me this is not possible (or not how it is normally done!?)
Has anyone ever secured a rented property before they arrive or should i stay in a hotel for the 1st week then find somwhere when i get there??
Why not stay somewhere like the Manhattan apartments in Newstead (do a search - lots of recommendations on them) for a few weeks while you find your feet. We stayed there on our validation trip and they were nice enough - much cheaper than a hotel and very central to get things sorted....

Martyn
Old Aug 3rd 2006, 9:57 am
CJN
Forum Regular

CJN is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by tin
Why not stay somewhere like the Manhattan apartments in Newstead (do a search - lots of recommendations on them) for a few weeks while you find your feet. We stayed there on our validation trip and they were nice enough - much cheaper than a hotel and very central to get things sorted....

Martyn
We booked a week at the Snooze Inn Hotel. It was fairly basic but very new, clean & there was free access on the hotel's PCs to the internet. We paid just $400. It was five minutes walk from the Fortitude Valley train station - just one stop into Bris.

Ray White's are going under because of a bad deal that they did building a Woolworths in Bris & they're not helpful at all. Book a hotel for a week, buy the Courier Mail on a Saturday & a prepaid sim and get phoning around. We found somewhere within a week.

A lot of transactions happen in cash here so you may need four weeks rent in cash as a deposit. They'll also ask you for references (You old employer or friends are fine) so make sure that you've got their e-mail addresses. They'll also want to see that you've got enough cash to pay the rent - we had to show them a recent bank statement
Old Aug 3rd 2006, 10:09 am
BE Enthusiast

JohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JPRobbo
HI,

Bulimba is lovely. I should know - I live on the Bulimba / Balmoral border. Paddington is also very nice. Me and hubby stayed there 3 times when we were holidaying in Brisbane. Paddington is obviously slightly closer to the city and has some very nice character properties. Lots of lovely old queenslanders. But there are a few slightly run down places mixed in with the beautiful ones. Bulimba is a real mix of modern and old but quite expensive to rent. Very easy to get to the city from here - city cat at the end of Oxford St. Oxford St. is a huge bonus. Everything you could ever possibly want on your doorstep and very trendy upmarket cafes / restaurants etc. It is an extremely popular inner city suburb. Let me know if you need more detailed info.

Netta