Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Help, a lady in distress! Well some say i am a lady?

Help, a lady in distress! Well some say i am a lady?

Old Mar 26th 2010, 6:52 am
Banned

Fried Rice is just really niceFried Rice is just really niceFried Rice is just really niceFried Rice is just really niceFried Rice is just really niceFried Rice is just really niceFried Rice is just really niceFried Rice is just really niceFried Rice is just really niceFried Rice is just really niceFried Rice is just really nice
Default Help, a lady in distress! Well some say i am a lady?

I am going to get rid of my car, nothing wrong with it as i write, but cars are cars. I have had my beauty a while now, but i am moving states for a while, i need the cash, will down size to something cheaper. So i am going to sell it, now things are very slow where i am in Australia, cars are not shifting at all, so i am going to sell it to a trader. He has offered me $1500.00 less than i paid for it, and it had no rego when i bought it, now it has eleven months.

What i want to know is what are the laws in Australia regarding buying and selling second hand cars privately? Is it sold as seen, once you have signed the car over, what ever happens to the car is the new owners responsibility, like in the UK?

I ask, because, he has offered me a bankers cheque, which takes three days to clear, should anything go wrong in those three days, can he cancel the cheque, so i am left with no car and no money?

Sorry its just i do not trust second hand car dealers, you know Arthur Daly types. He refuses to pay cash, any thoughts?

Miss Rice
Old Mar 26th 2010, 7:11 am
BE Forum Addict

ozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help, a lady in distress! Well some say i am a lady?

Originally Posted by Fried Rice
I ask, because, he has offered me a bankers cheque, which takes three days to clear, should anything go wrong in those three days, can he cancel the cheque, so i am left with no car and no money?
I am not sure if he can cancel a bank cheque. But more importantly: A bank cheque can be faked (how do you know what a Westpac/ ANZ/ CBA/ etc bank checque looks like - therefore how will you know it's the genuine article).

Also: He can give you a bank cheque. He then empties his account (just transfers the money into another account). The bank then won't honour the cheque - and you will again be left with nothing.

Suggest to him that you will meet at a branch of his bank. He will transfer the money into your bank account there and then - and then you give him the keys and registration document.
Old Mar 26th 2010, 7:16 am
BE Forum Addict

LouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond repute

I am going to get rid of my car, nothing wrong with it as i write, but cars are cars. I have had my beauty a while now, but i am moving states for a while, i need the cash, will down size to something cheaper. So i am going to sell it, now things are very slow where i am in Australia, cars are not shifting at all, so i am going to sell it to a trader. He has offered me $1500.00 less than i paid for it, and it had no rego when i bought it, now it has eleven months.

What i want to know is what are the laws in Australia regarding buying and selling second hand cars privately? Is it sold as seen, once you have signed the car over, what ever happens to the car is the new owners responsibility, like in the UK?

Sorry its just i do not trust second hand car dealers, you know Arthur Daly types. He refuses to pay cash, any thoughts?

Miss Rice
Take the cheque and tell him he gets the car when the cheque clears. Anyone who hands over a car without either cash and having the money cleared in their account needs their head testing.
Old Mar 26th 2010, 8:03 am
BE Forum Addict

IndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozhappy981
I am not sure if he can cancel a bank cheque. But more importantly: A bank cheque can be faked (how do you know what a Westpac/ ANZ/ CBA/ etc bank checque looks like - therefore how will you know it's the genuine article).

Also: He can give you a bank cheque. He then empties his account (just transfers the money into another account). The bank then won't honour the cheque - and you will again be left with nothing.

Suggest to him that you will meet at a branch of his bank. He will transfer the money into your bank account there and then - and then you give him the keys and registration document.
No worries with a bank cheque (as in a Bank Draft/Managers' cheque)- as good as cash, cannot be cancelled/returned for lack of funds. If in doubt you could ask for a copy of the cheque and enquire with the bank whether it has been issued by them?

If it is a personal cheque then I'd be wary for the reasons mentioned above...
Old Mar 26th 2010, 8:33 am
BE Forum Addict

ozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by IndieG
No worries with a bank cheque (as in a Bank Draft/Managers' cheque)- as good as cash.
Not correct. A bank cheque still takes three days to clear - and quite a number of things can go wrong in those three days.
Old Mar 26th 2010, 8:50 am
Account Closed

Deancm is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ozhappy981
Not correct. A bank cheque still takes three days to clear - and quite a number of things can go wrong in those three days.
But when the bank issues the bank cheque the funds are taken out immediately even though it take 3 days to clear into your account (it used to be 24 hours a few years ago!).
Old Mar 26th 2010, 8:54 am
BE Forum Addict

IndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Deancm
But when the bank issues the bank cheque the funds are taken out immediately even though it take 3 days to clear into your account (it used to be 24 hours a few years ago!).
That's what happened in the banks I worked in, so assumed the same here. Clearing is still in the dark ages here - can't believe local clearing takes 5 working days
Old Mar 27th 2010, 1:38 am
Banned

Fried Rice is just really niceFried Rice is just really niceFried Rice is just really niceFried Rice is just really niceFried Rice is just really niceFried Rice is just really niceFried Rice is just really niceFried Rice is just really niceFried Rice is just really niceFried Rice is just really niceFried Rice is just really nice

Thanks for the replies, sent you all some Karma?

Still non the wiser really, about bank cheques and selling second hand cars.
Old Mar 27th 2010, 10:32 am
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the replies, sent you all some Karma?

Still non the wiser really, about bank cheques and selling second hand cars.
Deancm is correct with the bank cheque issue.
With the other, consult your local motoring club ie NRMA, RACQ, RACV etc etc, and see if they can advise you if the dealer is legite and/or give you correct advice on the disposal of your vehicle.
Old Mar 27th 2010, 11:17 am
Karoola!!!!!!

GaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to all

HI,
Just a quick one on bank cheques, They can be stopped!!! Also if you do need to verify one you can call the bank and they can confirm it is genuine.
Hope this helps, if you have any more questions about bank cheques feel free to PM me.
Gary