Reload this Page >

Help Just starting the Migration process

Help Just starting the Migration process

Old Oct 17th 2006, 10:25 am
Banned

Timy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Help Just starting the Migration process

Hi all,
Need some advice really, i am just starting the whole immigration process to Oz. I have a couple of questions.

1) Is it best to use a migrating agent?

2) I have to complete a skilled trade assessment test, so have to provide evidence of work, education etc. I am a skilled time served first class sheet metal worker. Four year apprenticeship, ten years on the job work experience. I have been out of the trade for the past six years, and the company where i worked and trained has now closed for business, so employer references, documentation is going to be almost impossible.

I am asking for advice here, i have my indentures, a couple of short references, and my college training certificates, city and guilds, EITB documents etc.

What do i need to suppy, because i want to get all the documentation right first time, has anyone got any similar experiences.

Any help much appreciated.
Old Oct 17th 2006, 11:24 am
Juicer Member

Glenat is a glorious beacon of lightGlenat is a glorious beacon of lightGlenat is a glorious beacon of lightGlenat is a glorious beacon of lightGlenat is a glorious beacon of lightGlenat is a glorious beacon of lightGlenat is a glorious beacon of lightGlenat is a glorious beacon of lightGlenat is a glorious beacon of lightGlenat is a glorious beacon of lightGlenat is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Help Just starting the Migration process

Originally Posted by Timy
Hi all,
Need some advice really, i am just starting the whole immigration process to Oz. I have a couple of questions.

2) I have to complete a skilled trade assessment test, so have to provide evidence of work, education etc. I am a skilled time served first class sheet metal worker. Four year apprenticeship, ten years on the job work experience. I have been out of the trade for the past six years, and the company where i worked and trained has now closed for business, so employer references, documentation is going to be almost impossible.

I am asking for advice here, i have my indentures, a couple of short references, and my college training certificates, city and guilds, EITB documents etc.

What do i need to suppy, because i want to get all the documentation right first time, has anyone got any similar experiences.

Hi,

I've just found this info:

The applicant must have been working in the trade for a period of not less than three years AFTER completion of the apprenticeship. (A total of 6 years combined.) If the Trades Person intends to act as Main Applicant for Skilled Migration, he/she must have been in paid employment in the trade (or closely related occupation) for at least 12 out of the last 18 months prior to applying for the visa. (http://www.australia-migration.com/p...adespersons/55)

Last edited by Glenat; Oct 17th 2006 at 11:29 am.
Old Oct 17th 2006, 11:29 am
Keeping Busy

arnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond repute

What is your trade?
Old Oct 17th 2006, 11:40 am
aka DORIS

wardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all,

Hi Timy
We are new to the process too, my hubby is currently going through a skills assessment with TRA and we are using an agent. Depending upon what visa you are applying for and if you have a straight forward case you dont necessarily need an agent we have a straight forward case 136 modl independent but we felt more confidant using someone to help us.

I am under the impression that you have to have worked in your nominated occupation for 12 of the last 18 months so if you have not worked in it for the last 6 years this may be a problem.....sorry if I am wrong ... someone will put me right.

As for the company closing down I believe a lot of people are in this position but it does not affect your application.

My husband is mechanical services and air conditioning plumber he has provided course content info, city and Guilds certificates, skills cards, formal contract of his apprenticeship, and his references are being prepared by agent ready for sending off to Adelaide. References have to be very detailed covering in depth details of jobs and duties performed, how often, hours worked, how long you worked there.... if you can think of it they want it...you cant have too little info as far as we can see...this is the hardest part of the whole process apparently I'm glad we have almost passed this stage..

Hope this gets you started, why don't you give an agent a ring many offer a first free consultation.

Good luck
Kaye
Old Oct 17th 2006, 11:49 am
Loving it in SA

Katsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wardy2
Hi Timy
We are new to the process too, my hubby is currently going through a skills assessment with TRA and we are using an agent. Depending upon what visa you are applying for and if you have a straight forward case you dont necessarily need an agent we have a straight forward case 136 modl independent but we felt more confidant using someone to help us.

I am under the impression that you have to have worked in your nominated occupation for 12 of the last 18 months so if you have not worked in it for the last 6 years this may be a problem.....sorry if I am wrong ... someone will put me right.

As for the company closing down I believe a lot of people are in this position but it does not affect your application.

My husband is mechanical services and air conditioning plumber he has provided course content info, city and Guilds certificates, skills cards, formal contract of his apprenticeship, and his references are being prepared by agent ready for sending off to Adelaide. References have to be very detailed covering in depth details of jobs and duties performed, how often, hours worked, how long you worked there.... if you can think of it they want it...you cant have too little info as far as we can see...this is the hardest part of the whole process apparently I'm glad we have almost passed this stage..

Hope this gets you started, why don't you give an agent a ring many offer a first free consultation.

Good luck
Kaye
There are a few agents who float aournd the boards who will post some advice i think.

Just with the time diff they wnt be on til laters.

good luck with TRA its bloody hard work but well worth it once you get it back.

Ours was succesful and we didnt use an agent.

PM me if you want any help.
Old Oct 17th 2006, 11:55 am
Banned

Bloody Hell,
I have an headache already.

My trade is a first class sheet metal worker.

I worked in the trade for a full ten years, but i have not worked in the trade since 1998.

Its the detailed work experience which is going to be a problem, the company is closed.

I have.

Apprenticeship indentures
City and Guilds Certificates
EITB Certificates
2 Short references

Any other comments welcome, thanks in advance
Old Oct 17th 2006, 11:56 am
Account Closed

suzy is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all,

As you have been out of the trade for 6 years you might want to speak to an agent and get an initial assessment of your chances then at least you'll know. There are different 'pathways' you can follow to obtain a TRA assessment and an agent would know which 'pathway' would be best for you in your circumstances.

Remember you can use an agent for just the TRA or TRA and application.

Regarding your company being closed for business, from memory, other posters have had to get proof of when the company closed and other details from Companies House. this isn't as difficult as it sounds as there is a ton of info about Companies House online.

You might be better off posting further queries on the Immigration Forum for more detailed help.
Old Oct 17th 2006, 12:21 pm
aka DORIS

wardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond repute

It wont matter that the company is closed, the references will have to be done from your memory all you need them to do is sign and date to say it is a true account of what you did.

My hubbie has worked in industry 24 years the agent we are using are writing references based upon our evidence and information that we give them. Then we ask the company who he worked for to read, scan and print it on headed paper and sign and date to confirm details. If the compay is not available I guess you would have to find someone who worked for that company who was a supervisor and get them to sign it I know other people on this forum have said that is what they have done. The important thing is the company you worked for dont have to write the reference you can do it as long as they are willing to sign it as being a true and accurate record of what you have done.

Good luck
Kaye
Old Oct 17th 2006, 1:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

samnsam has a reputation beyond reputesamnsam has a reputation beyond reputesamnsam has a reputation beyond reputesamnsam has a reputation beyond reputesamnsam has a reputation beyond reputesamnsam has a reputation beyond reputesamnsam has a reputation beyond reputesamnsam has a reputation beyond reputesamnsam has a reputation beyond reputesamnsam has a reputation beyond reputesamnsam has a reputation beyond repute

Bloody Hell,
I have an headache already.

My trade is a first class sheet metal worker.

I worked in the trade for a full ten years, but i have not worked in the trade since 1998.

Its the detailed work experience which is going to be a problem, the company is closed.

I have.

Apprenticeship indentures
City and Guilds Certificates
EITB Certificates
2 Short references

Any other comments welcome, thanks in advance
When my OH had his skills assessed a lot of his previous employment had now ceased trading, as long as you write a detailed account of job description including hours P/W worked, setting up of equipment, skills gained during this employment, be it on the job or other, even down to how you cleaned up after job completion (Jeyes Fluid). This should all be written as a Self Certified Document which will have to be signed by yourself in the presence of magistrate or JP. The Document should also include words to the effect "I solemnly declare that this document is true and correct". Its a long and hard road your starting on so if in doubt I would seek out the help of a migration agent so as to put your mind at ease. Also we were told by our agent that the TRA would not skills asses us solely on Self Certified Documents.
Hope you find some of this useful.
Sam x.
Old Oct 17th 2006, 1:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

samnsam has a reputation beyond reputesamnsam has a reputation beyond reputesamnsam has a reputation beyond reputesamnsam has a reputation beyond reputesamnsam has a reputation beyond reputesamnsam has a reputation beyond reputesamnsam has a reputation beyond reputesamnsam has a reputation beyond reputesamnsam has a reputation beyond reputesamnsam has a reputation beyond reputesamnsam has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all,

Me again, forgot to mention if you have any proof of employment in this job eg, P60, old wage slips these will need to be certified also. As for the 2 short references these probably wont be of any use unless you can track the person down and get him to sign new references for you which I would suggest you write out yourself as he or she is more likely to agree to doing so.
Sam x.
Old Oct 17th 2006, 1:39 pm
Migration Agent

Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute

Hello Timy.

My initial thoughts in relation to the skills assessment are that you should be able to secure a positive classification based on what you have said (so long as it can be demonstrated with appropriate paperwork).

However, you haven't said what work you have been doing recently - you should be aware that you must have skilled RECENT work experience if you are intending to apply for a general skilled visa.

As previous persons have said, maybe telephone two or three migration agents for a chat - most should give you 10 or 15 minutes as a freebie. If you are interested, feel able to call my colleague Marina Towner on UK number 023 80 488 777.

Best regards.
Old Oct 17th 2006, 1:57 pm
Banned

Hey guys,
Thanks for all of your comments and feedback, it is very much appreciated, believe me.

Regarding what i have been doing recently, well this is probably a step up the ladder, but whether it will be of any use, not in the UK.

The Last six Years

3 year passed first class honours degree in manufacturing engineering

3 year failed to write up PhD in Mechanical engineering, carried out research, passed all stages, but will never write up, so never get the PhD qualification.

So as you can see, i have not been sitting on my bum, but no use to my visa application
Old Oct 17th 2006, 2:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

TeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud of

It might be worth speaking to an agent to get some advice. Most will give you a free assessment. We did this and it was very useful. My husband is a first class sheet metal worker too so we are applying under him and are currently getting everything sorted out for the TRA. We are hoping to get a 136 modl independent and although it seems relatively straightforward we are using an agent to help us.

We are under the impression that you need to have worked recently in this occupation but we haven't looked into this a great deal as Paul has been doing this since he finished his apprenticeship and still does it now.

Good luck.