Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Help, I'm a Mobile Phone Dunce!!

Help, I'm a Mobile Phone Dunce!!

Old Dec 23rd 2004, 8:34 am
She's Diddy, He's Not

diddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Help, I'm a Mobile Phone Dunce!!

Ignoring all the stuff about unlocking phones ect. I take it if I buy a mobile phone with no Sim card in the UK and take it to Oz and buy a Sim Card there, the phone will work OK?

Plus, is there any reason why I wouldn't find a SIM card in OZ to fit a UK purchased phone?

With the exception of the work Mobile, I've avoided owning one as much as possible, although rellies keep buying them for me and the other half as they can never get hold of us. They usually end up in a drawer after a couple of weeks. Hence I'm pretty clueless about mobiles.

Paul.
Old Dec 23rd 2004, 9:16 am
life begins again...

scutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to all
Default Re: Help, I'm a Mobile Phone Dunce!!

Originally Posted by diddy
Ignoring all the stuff about unlocking phones ect. I take it if I buy a mobile phone with no Sim card in the UK and take it to Oz and buy a Sim Card there, the phone will work OK?

Plus, is there any reason why I wouldn't find a SIM card in OZ to fit a UK purchased phone?

With the exception of the work Mobile, I've avoided owning one as much as possible, although rellies keep buying them for me and the other half as they can never get hold of us. They usually end up in a drawer after a couple of weeks. Hence I'm pretty clueless about mobiles.

Paul.
hi paul.

as far as i know if you buy a phone with no sim then it will work in oz as it wont already be locked to a provider. but why would you want to? you'd be better off buying one here with a sim wouldn't you? it'll cost less. If you need one before you leave then buy one with a sim, again saving money and just get it unlocked. it's a doddle really.

but apart from that the sim cards are standard (again as far as i know) so you shouldn't have a problem.

hope this helps.

leigh
Old Dec 23rd 2004, 9:36 am
She's Diddy, He's Not

diddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scutterUK
hi paul.

as far as i know if you buy a phone with no sim then it will work in oz as it wont already be locked to a provider. but why would you want to? you'd be better off buying one here with a sim wouldn't you? it'll cost less. If you need one before you leave then buy one with a sim, again saving money and just get it unlocked. it's a doddle really.

but apart from that the sim cards are standard (again as far as i know) so you shouldn't have a problem.

hope this helps.

leigh
Thanks Leigh,

The boss is auctioning his old mobile for charity. It's really fancy, not that I have a clue and the biggest bidder is a tenner.

Paul.
Old Dec 24th 2004, 5:33 am
life begins again...

scutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to all

Originally Posted by diddy
Thanks Leigh,

The boss is auctioning his old mobile for charity. It's really fancy, not that I have a clue and the biggest bidder is a tenner.

Paul.

it sounds like a bargain!! if your boss was anything like mine it wont be a duffer either. only the best will do for these bosses!!

all the best.

Leigh
Old Dec 24th 2004, 6:11 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by scutterUK
it sounds like a bargain!! if your boss was anything like mine it wont be a duffer either. only the best will do for these bosses!!

all the best.

Leigh
Don't bank on that
I used to be a boss, and had a really basic mobile phone. All it did was enable me to make and receive phone calls, and sms.

I've now upgraded and got one with an alarm clock function !!