British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Help I'm Considering Melbourne (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/help-im-considering-melbourne-513728/)

slingshot69 Feb 12th 2008 7:54 am

Help I'm Considering Melbourne

Hi All

I am looking for a little advice, I know there are plenty of searches I could do but I just need to bounce my ideas of you.

We have been living in Perth for just under 12 months, to be honest we are finding it not to our taste. We find it rather boring, but this is only us and I know plenty of people who love it.

I have been offered a job with my company in Melbourne, I need to make a decision for tomorrow.

Could anybody tell me the pro's and the con's of Melbourne, I have visited but only for a week and I liked it. I do know living and working there is a different story.

I do like how much closer it is to everything, we have friends in Brisabane and NZ.

Please help :(

Daz

ulpul Feb 12th 2008 8:20 am

Re: Help I'm Considering Melbourne

Definately come to Melbourne. Perth is like a large country town and if coming from a fairly busy UK town/city, it can seem a bit dormant.

Melbourne is much busier and nicer than Sydney (IMO!), say Yes, book a weekend over and come see for yourself.

Is awesome, fun and has the beaches, weather and proximity to the other capital cities :thumbup:

gidxg03 Feb 12th 2008 8:23 am

We've only been here 2 months...

We love it. Great weather, really nice beaches, loads to do. Loads of work here (in my experience). The city of Melbourne is lovely. One of the nicest cities we have ever been in. Melbourne is leafy, green and very European like. You also have the great ocean road on your door step an loads more I'm sure which we have yet to come accross.

Negatives? I have to think really hard on this. We get a good few hoons but I think thats standard across Oz. House prices are getting higher but I'd say not compared to Perth.

I'm sure someone with more time spent here could answer your question better but thats my 2 cent :)

andrewb Feb 12th 2008 9:02 am

Pros - Lots

Cons - Can't think of any!!!

I have now lived here for 2 years and there is always something going on and if you don't fancy going to an event, there will always be another one coming along shortly!!

Pomster Feb 12th 2008 9:05 am

we have lived in Mlebourne for 7 years (gulp) and it is a very easy place to live. Lots going on:
-Beaches - ocean and bay- not too far.
-Wineries close by.
-Parks galore
-Theatres, art galleries and museums galore
-Lots of great festivals- around Easter there is an international comedy fest which runs for 3 weeks with loads of acts from Edinburgh fest. Also international film fest.
-Grand Prix- well this year at least

If your company are offering you a transfer and you are not mad on Perth- what have you got to lose? Well apart from the stress of moving!:lol:

Ozzidoc Feb 12th 2008 9:06 am

Originally Posted by slingshot69 (Post 5920576)
Hi All

I am looking for a little advice, I know there are plenty of searches I could do but I just need to bounce my ideas of you.

We have been living in Perth for just under 12 months, to be honest we are finding it not to our taste. We find it rather boring, but this is only us and I know plenty of people who love it.

I have been offered a job with my company in Melbourne, I need to make a decision for tomorrow.

Could anybody tell me the pro's and the con's of Melbourne, I have visited but only for a week and I liked it. I do know living and working there is a different story.

I do like how much closer it is to everything, we have friends in Brisabane and NZ.

Please help :(

Daz

Great sporting events, galleries, wines, shopping, restaurants, beaches, nightlife if you want it, close to the ski fields. The inner cities of Melbourne are pretty vibrant.

Cons. Winter is winter. Some might find that to be a plus though ;) The wind can be bitterly cold.

Where's the job located?

I'v

Ozzidoc Feb 12th 2008 9:07 am

Forgot to mention good public transport (at least I think so - I'm from the country originally.)

Cycle paths.

bcworld Feb 12th 2008 9:10 am

Go for it Daz......you're not alone.....I think a lot of people find Perth (and Brisbane for that matter) boring. Maybe boring isn't the right word, just very very bland.

Melbourne is a whole different kettle of fish....and as far as I'm concerned has it all, nice suburbs, seaside suburbs, funky suburbs. For me its probably the latter that I think some of the other cities lack most.

Gonna make more Melbourne soon myself.

slingshot69 Feb 12th 2008 10:24 am

Well I must admit you have all made me feel a whole lot better tonight, thank you all very much for the post's you have made.

The job has been offered in Notting Hill, which I think is South of the City, are there any areas worth looking at for housing and Senior schools around that area. Notting Hill seems to be close to Bornia, Belgrave Heights, Heatherton and Glen Waverly.

Thanks Daz

slingshot69 Feb 12th 2008 12:22 pm

Doing some very quick searches can anybody tell me what Sanctuary Lakes, Point Cook and Hoppers Crossing areas are like.

I am also interested in the High Schools in this area.

Thanks again, Daz

moonstaruk Feb 12th 2008 12:35 pm

Originally Posted by slingshot69 (Post 5921539)
Doing some very quick searches can anybody tell me what Sanctuary Lakes, Point Cook and Hoppers Crossing areas are like.

Thanks again, Daz

hey, saw this post and just wanted to pitch in. at the mo i'm toying between melbourne or sydney and alot is taking me over to melb over syd! Like everyone says above really... plus house prices are very reasonable considering....

Ozzidoc Feb 12th 2008 1:37 pm

Thanks again, Daz

All OK areas. Sanctuary Lakes is quite new (15 yrs or less), the others are a bit more established (40 yrs or so).

Not sure about trains - I think that Hoppers Crossing is on the Werribee to Melb route.

Johnsyweb Feb 12th 2008 7:15 pm

Originally Posted by slingshot69 (Post 5920576)

Nice company(!) Do they always ask you to make life-changing decisions overnight?

All I can tell you is that I prefer staying in Melbourne to any of the other cities that I have visited in Australia for many of the reasons that other people have mentioned.

You've already moved from Britain to Australia, the move from Perth to Melbourne should be a doddle!

Good luck!

--paj

MartinLuther Feb 12th 2008 8:18 pm

Thanks again, Daz

I would have thought there were more suitable places to look at if you are going to work in Notting Hill. The places you've mentioned are good if you want affordable housing which is in commuting distance of the CBD.

If you're looking for affordability I would have thought Pakenham or Berwick would have been better (for working in Notting Hill). Maybe Chelsea, Carrum, Frankston or Langwarrin for something closer to the beach. The Mornington peninsula will be more accessible once the toll road is completed this year. There are also some cheap and cheerful areas around Monash Uni but be careful as there are also some cheap and not so cheerful areas.

Potato_potato Feb 13th 2008 2:24 am

Everyone in Melbourne wears dark clothes to match their personality.