Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Help I'm Considering Melbourne

Help I'm Considering Melbourne

Old Feb 13th 2008, 2:44 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help I'm Considering Melbourne

The areas you mentioned would be too far to commute to Notting hill, There are heaps of new estates around the S/E if thats your bag.

Melbourne is certainly a lively city and for long term I would rather live here than W/A. Saying that I adore W/A and now Tiger are flying there for $100 I'll be visiting a lot more

The winters are not that bad, although it does depend upon where you live. Up in the Dandenongs or by the bay it will seem colder, but it rarely drops to single figures during the day. Personally I prefer this type of weather to the heat of a Perth summer, its the pay off for 9 months of great weather

Good luck with whatever you decide.
Old Feb 13th 2008, 8:28 am
Forum Regular

ulpul has a brilliant futureulpul has a brilliant futureulpul has a brilliant futureulpul has a brilliant futureulpul has a brilliant futureulpul has a brilliant futureulpul has a brilliant future

So what did you decide then...............
Old Feb 13th 2008, 8:34 am

Sheff_Sparky is an unknown quantity at this point

melbourne cant be THAT bad surely?
Old Feb 13th 2008, 8:51 am
BE Enthusiast

Wigan Warrior is just really niceWigan Warrior is just really niceWigan Warrior is just really niceWigan Warrior is just really niceWigan Warrior is just really niceWigan Warrior is just really niceWigan Warrior is just really niceWigan Warrior is just really niceWigan Warrior is just really nice

I've just returned from a trip to Melbourne this morning.

My opinion is that Melbourne is a nicer city than Sydney and the people are very friendly. When we had the map out people were stopping to ask if we needed any help and one friendly old chap even gave my daughter $2 to get some sweets.

There does seem to be a bit of a graffiti problem in the centre of some of the areas we visited and around the train lines, but once into the housing estates it wasn't as bad.
Old Feb 13th 2008, 9:07 am
BE Enthusiast

talbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Pomster
we have lived in Mlebourne for 7 years (gulp) and it is a very easy place to live. Lots going on:
-Beaches - ocean and bay- not too far.
-Wineries close by.
-Parks galore
-Theatres, art galleries and museums galore
-Lots of great festivals- around Easter there is an international comedy fest which runs for 3 weeks with loads of acts from Edinburgh fest. Also international film fest.
-Grand Prix- well this year at least

If your company are offering you a transfer and you are not mad on Perth- what have you got to lose? Well apart from the stress of moving!
You forgot to mention the Australian Open!! Love me tennis.

Billy Connelly said Melbourne is the CLASSY sister to BRASSY Sydney - so that should answer your question!

Perth Sucks!!
Old Feb 13th 2008, 9:11 am
BE Enthusiast

talbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Potato_potato
Everyone in Melbourne wears dark clothes to match their personality.
That was in the wee GOTH commune you were in that occupies only an inch of the MELWAY mate.
Old Feb 13th 2008, 9:25 am
Just Joined

slingshot69 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Everyone

Thanks for all the advice, I have actually been given another day or so to decide.

It's not my companies fault, I travel to work between 1 -1.30 hrs each way a day, this finally got to me so on Monday I handed my notice in.

We had considered Melbourne for a while so when they offered me a position over there we started to think more about it.

The job in Melbourne will be different because over in Perth we do a lot for the mining industry, so I either spend time in the office or in the Mines. Over in Melbourne my company look after all industries so it would be a lot more interesting.

We are just finding it hard because we don't know the areas, we would rent for probably 6 months, but we want to rent in an area where our son can go to a good school and we can buy within the 6 months.

I would like to live within about 30 mins drive to work, about 30 - 45 mins from the City, we would like the area to have a good high school and be near a train station. We would be looking at around $480000 - $500000 at the maximum.

I don't know if we have any chance of that above but the move will be hard enough, stressed already.

Thanks Daz
Old Feb 13th 2008, 9:56 am
Forum Regular

Melchels is on a distinguished road

Hi Slingshot,

Have a look at Vermont, Forest Hill, Mitcham and Nunawading. These are in north of the Glen Waverley area and near a good trainline (Belgrave/Lilydale). There are also good schools in the area. You should be able to find something around the $480K and it is not far from your work!
Old Feb 13th 2008, 10:27 am
Just Joined

slingshot69 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Melchels
Hi Slingshot,

Have a look at Vermont, Forest Hill, Mitcham and Nunawading. These are in north of the Glen Waverley area and near a good trainline (Belgrave/Lilydale). There are also good schools in the area. You should be able to find something around the $480K and it is not far from your work!
Thanks Melchels I will doing my searches now