Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Help! I need to know all about the SIR visa…

Wikiposts

Help! I need to know all about the SIR visa…

Old Jan 12th 2006, 10:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

Gravyman has a reputation beyond reputeGravyman has a reputation beyond reputeGravyman has a reputation beyond reputeGravyman has a reputation beyond reputeGravyman has a reputation beyond reputeGravyman has a reputation beyond reputeGravyman has a reputation beyond reputeGravyman has a reputation beyond reputeGravyman has a reputation beyond reputeGravyman has a reputation beyond reputeGravyman has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help! I need to know all about the SIR visa…

Originally Posted by wannabe-wallaby
No, I haven't had my skills assessed yet, although I have just got in touch with VETASSESS to try to find out how much it costs and what it entails. What's the deal with assessment? Do they look at your work history and employers and assess that way, or is there an actual test that you have to sit? I would class as an editor, so how on earth do they test that?
Also, and this might be a really stupid question, but is there a medical group I have to book my medical through, or do you know a link to more info on the medical? We'd like to front-load (see, I am down with all the jargon now).
It'll be fab to go back to Adelaide – I went to school there for a couple of years and it's a great place.

Hiya

I was assessed by th TRA so I don't know exactly what happens with VETASSESS but I'm sure if you get onto their website it will give you all the info you need with regards requirements and costings etc. Or post a question on the Immigration Forum. I can't imagine you having to sit a test but you will need to show proof of qualifications etc.

On the DIMIA website it lists the places recognised to do the medicals. We went to Nottingham and they were great.

With regards frontloading the SIR is pretty quick and we had our meds requested almost straight away.

Although I wouldn't really be thinking about meds etc yet until you have your skills assessment.

What do you edit and where are you based?

Graham
Old Jan 12th 2006, 11:11 pm
Migration Agent

Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute

VETASSESS simply assesses your qualifications - if you have a degree (ANY degree) that is considered to be the equivalent of an Australian degree you can seek a skills assessment in ANY 50 point occupation that is shown on the Skilled Occupations List as assessable by VETASSESS.

Furthermore work experience doesn't come into the equation for such occupations (at least insofar as the skills assessment is concerned).

Bizarre I know, but that's the way VETASSESS assessed occupations work.

Best regards.

No, I haven't had my skills assessed yet, although I have just got in touch with VETASSESS to try to find out how much it costs and what it entails. What's the deal with assessment? Do they look at your work history and employers and assess that way, or is there an actual test that you have to sit? I would class as an editor, so how on earth do they test that?
Also, and this might be a really stupid question, but is there a medical group I have to book my medical through, or do you know a link to more info on the medical? We'd like to front-load (see, I am down with all the jargon now).
It'll be fab to go back to Adelaide – I went to school there for a couple of years and it's a great place.
Old Jan 13th 2006, 1:58 am
Just Joined

wannabe-wallaby is an unknown quantity at this point

Oh I see – well, that does seem a bit strange. The thing is, I don't have a degree, only A-Levels (4), GCSEs (9) and an NCTJ (National Council for the Training of Journalism) short course combined with work experience, so where do I stand with that? How will they – if indeed they will – rate my ability?
(By the way, many thanks for your help and advice, Alan!)
Old Jan 18th 2006, 2:55 am
BE Forum Addict

Tableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond repute

WW

I believe that you do not have to work in your specified field under the SA SIR, but other states might be different.

T.

Oh I see – well, that does seem a bit strange. The thing is, I don't have a degree, only A-Levels (4), GCSEs (9) and an NCTJ (National Council for the Training of Journalism) short course combined with work experience, so where do I stand with that? How will they – if indeed they will – rate my ability?
(By the way, many thanks for your help and advice, Alan!)
Old Jan 18th 2006, 8:07 am
Forum Regular

g-man is a name known to allg-man is a name known to allg-man is a name known to allg-man is a name known to allg-man is a name known to allg-man is a name known to allg-man is a name known to allg-man is a name known to allg-man is a name known to allg-man is a name known to allg-man is a name known to all

Hi everyone!
I'm hoping to get in with my hubby on SA's SIR visa, and I have a million questions that the small print doesn't cover. Is there anyone out there who has gone through or is going through the SIR visa application process who can help? How long does it take from applying to actually getting the visa? Is the process very strict or is it simply a case of providing the right bits of information?
I hope there's a visa whizz out there who can help!

x
hi
we are off to oz three weeks today on a sir visa, the visa is for 3years and we ahve been told that s long as we dont buy a house in melbourne or work inmelbourne we can apply for pr, when your visa has been granted the gouv sends you a check list to follow( which isnt bad at all) it will cost very little for your pr our agents has told about thirty pounds which in the great schemes of things is nowt. It took us about ten months. if you have any more question dont hesitate to contact

good luck toni