Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Help! I need to know all about the SIR visa…

Help! I need to know all about the SIR visa…

Old Jan 9th 2006, 12:54 pm
Just Joined

wannabe-wallaby is an unknown quantity at this point
Arrow Help! I need to know all about the SIR visa…

Hi everyone!
I'm hoping to get in with my hubby on SA's SIR visa, and I have a million questions that the small print doesn't cover. Is there anyone out there who has gone through or is going through the SIR visa application process who can help? How long does it take from applying to actually getting the visa? Is the process very strict or is it simply a case of providing the right bits of information?
I hope there's a visa whizz out there who can help!

x
Old Jan 9th 2006, 12:55 pm
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

DunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help! I need to know all about the SIR visa…

Originally Posted by wannabe-wallaby
Hi everyone!
I'm hoping to get in with my hubby on SA's SIR visa, and I have a million questions that the small print doesn't cover. Is there anyone out there who has gone through or is going through the SIR visa application process who can help? How long does it take from applying to actually getting the visa? Is the process very strict or is it simply a case of providing the right bits of information?

x
Hi. Good luck with it all.

I think that the Australian Immigration forum might be better suited for your request?

Cheers.
Old Jan 9th 2006, 1:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond repute

Hi everyone!

x
WW

My wife and I are thinking about doing the same thing. The SIR is a temporary visa, with strings attached. You must live in the relevant region for 2 years, and work in the relevant field for 1 year in order to qualify for permanent residency.

Regards

T.
Old Jan 9th 2006, 1:11 pm
Just Joined

Default Oh yeah…

Originally Posted by DunRoaminTheUK
Hi. Good luck with it all.

I think that the Australian Immigration forum might be better suited for your request?

Cheers.
Sorry – I'm new to this forum and didn't scroll down on the first page…what a doofus.
x
Old Jan 9th 2006, 1:15 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by tableland
WW

My wife and I are thinking about doing the same thing. The SIR is a temporary visa, with strings attached. You must live in the relevant region for 2 years, and work in the relevant field for 1 year in order to qualify for permanent residency.

Regards

T.

Thanks for that, Mr T. I didn't realise that you have to work in the relevant field for one year - I have not seen that mentioned before and it's useful to know! Good luck, and I hope you get in soon!
Old Jan 9th 2006, 1:27 pm

lucyb is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

We have a SIR Visa. What would you like to know?
Old Jan 9th 2006, 1:44 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by lucyb
Hi

We have a SIR Visa. What would you like to know?
Congrats! I am brimming with jealousy! How long did it take from start to end? Was it really painful or was it pretty much straightforward? I have contacted an Adelaide solicitor to deal with the application as that seemed to be a good idea, but what do you think? Did you have any problems along the way?
(NB You might regret offering up your help but I am very grateful for your generosity, and will buy you a cold beer when we get there!)

x
Old Jan 11th 2006, 12:22 pm
Sunny Sydney

herrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for that, Mr T. I didn't realise that you have to work in the relevant field for one year - I have not seen that mentioned before and it's useful to know! Good luck, and I hope you get in soon!
From what I know, I think you can work anywhere you like so long as it's on the SOL, not just in the field in which you were assessed to gain the visa.

Last edited by herrchook; Jan 11th 2006 at 12:45 pm.
Old Jan 11th 2006, 1:41 pm

lucyb is an unknown quantity at this point

Congrats! I am brimming with jealousy! How long did it take from start to end? Was it really painful or was it pretty much straightforward? I have contacted an Adelaide solicitor to deal with the application as that seemed to be a good idea, but what do you think? Did you have any problems along the way?
(NB You might regret offering up your help but I am very grateful for your generosity, and will buy you a cold beer when we get there!)

x

Hi

I think from date of lodging our application to receiving the email to say we were successful, it took 2 months and 13 days! Very, very quick indeed. Now if only we could sell this house, we'd be on our way!

Lucy
Old Jan 11th 2006, 7:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

Gravyman has a reputation beyond reputeGravyman has a reputation beyond reputeGravyman has a reputation beyond reputeGravyman has a reputation beyond reputeGravyman has a reputation beyond reputeGravyman has a reputation beyond reputeGravyman has a reputation beyond reputeGravyman has a reputation beyond reputeGravyman has a reputation beyond reputeGravyman has a reputation beyond reputeGravyman has a reputation beyond repute

Hi everyone!

x

Hiya

Our timescales are similair to Lucyb's. Although we got our sponsorship from SA back in April we didn't send off our visa application until August 9th. We had meds on Sept 27th and got our visa grant on Nov 8th.

We decided in the end to do the visa application ourselves. You can apply online and even email scanned copies of your docs. We sent our paperwork over by courier but did scan our police checks and emailed them to our case officer.

Once we got our visas we sent our passports off and got them back 1 week later.

We have now put our house on the market and hope to leave the UK at the end of June.

If you need anymore help or advice then feel free to PM me or email.

Graham
Old Jan 11th 2006, 10:15 pm
Migration Agent

Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute

I think you may find that (in some States at least) the work doesn't even have to be skilled ...

Best regards.

Originally Posted by herrchook
From what I know, I think you can work anywhere you like so long as it's on the SOL, not just in the field in which you were assessed to gain the visa.
Old Jan 12th 2006, 12:17 am
Forum Regular

nickos12 is a jewel in the roughnickos12 is a jewel in the roughnickos12 is a jewel in the roughnickos12 is a jewel in the rough

Hi,
we have been here nearly a year now on SIR so ask away.
My husband is in a skilled job but not the one he had assessed by TRA
Liz
Old Jan 12th 2006, 3:49 pm
Just Joined

Hi Graham

What do you mean when you say that you got your sponsorship back? Are you being sponsored by an employer out there? I thought that you basically send the forms in, get a case worker and it trundles on from there.
Did you have any problems doing the forms yourself? I know of an Adelaide solicitor who will deal with it for us (we thought it would be better to get a local agent), but it's obviously tempting not to pay the extra :P
I need to stay in my current job for another 5 months to get the 36 months of work experience neccessary, which is torturous enough, but it lets me do this sort of research, I suppose.
Thanks for being so helpful!

Originally Posted by Gravyman
Hiya

Our timescales are similair to Lucyb's. Although we got our sponsorship from SA back in April we didn't send off our visa application until August 9th. We had meds on Sept 27th and got our visa grant on Nov 8th.

We decided in the end to do the visa application ourselves. You can apply online and even email scanned copies of your docs. We sent our paperwork over by courier but did scan our police checks and emailed them to our case officer.

Once we got our visas we sent our passports off and got them back 1 week later.

We have now put our house on the market and hope to leave the UK at the end of June.

If you need anymore help or advice then feel free to PM me or email.

Graham
Old Jan 12th 2006, 6:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

Gravyman has a reputation beyond reputeGravyman has a reputation beyond reputeGravyman has a reputation beyond reputeGravyman has a reputation beyond reputeGravyman has a reputation beyond reputeGravyman has a reputation beyond reputeGravyman has a reputation beyond reputeGravyman has a reputation beyond reputeGravyman has a reputation beyond reputeGravyman has a reputation beyond reputeGravyman has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Graham

What do you mean when you say that you got your sponsorship back? Are you being sponsored by an employer out there? I thought that you basically send the forms in, get a case worker and it trundles on from there.
Did you have any problems doing the forms yourself? I know of an Adelaide solicitor who will deal with it for us (we thought it would be better to get a local agent), but it's obviously tempting not to pay the extra :P
I need to stay in my current job for another 5 months to get the 36 months of work experience neccessary, which is torturous enough, but it lets me do this sort of research, I suppose.
Thanks for being so helpful!

Hiya
The sponsorship was from the South Australian Govt for SIR. Once you have your positive skills assessment you can apply for the SIR sponsorship.

We decided to do it ourselves after looking through the forms and realising our application was very straightforward.

If you are going down the agent route then you are doing the right thing by using on in Oz. They have to be registered by MARA so there is some come back if God forbid anything goes wrong. You only have to do a search to hear some of the horror stories from some UK based agents.

How far are you, have you have your skills assessed yet?

Graham
Old Jan 13th 2006, 9:08 am
Just Joined

Smile Re: Help! I need to know all about the SIR visa…

No, I haven't had my skills assessed yet, although I have just got in touch with VETASSESS to try to find out how much it costs and what it entails. What's the deal with assessment? Do they look at your work history and employers and assess that way, or is there an actual test that you have to sit? I would class as an editor, so how on earth do they test that?
Also, and this might be a really stupid question, but is there a medical group I have to book my medical through, or do you know a link to more info on the medical? We'd like to front-load (see, I am down with all the jargon now).
It'll be fab to go back to Adelaide – I went to school there for a couple of years and it's a great place.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.