Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

HELP !!!i need to get to OZ

HELP !!!i need to get to OZ

Old Dec 13th 2004, 1:23 pm
Just Joined

Kevin Dunne is an unknown quantity at this point
Angry HELP !!!i need to get to OZ

I have been trying to get some information on what i need to do to enable me to buy a house and move to OZ. It seems that no matter where i go they want vast amounts of money up front before they will give me a definate answer as to wether i am eligable or not. I am 33 and am the manager of an electrical company here in the UK. Does that stand for anything in Australia????????
It would seem that my age goes against me which in turn means i only seem to be able to generate 115 points out of the 120 that is required to allow me to get a work visa. Does this seem right????????
I have also been told by one agency that i will have to invest $100,000 if i wish to move there. Is this correct ???????

Can anybody offer me some welcome advise on anything i need to do to get myself over to OZ.

Kev
Old Dec 13th 2004, 1:36 pm
She's Diddy, He's Not

diddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: HELP !!!i need to get to OZ

Originally Posted by Kevin Dunne
I have been trying to get some information on what i need to do to enable me to buy a house and move to OZ. It seems that no matter where i go they want vast amounts of money up front before they will give me a definate answer as to wether i am eligable or not. I am 33 and am the manager of an electrical company here in the UK. Does that stand for anything in Australia????????
It would seem that my age goes against me which in turn means i only seem to be able to generate 115 points out of the 120 that is required to allow me to get a work visa. Does this seem right????????
I have also been told by one agency that i will have to invest $100,000 if i wish to move there. Is this correct ???????

Can anybody offer me some welcome advise on anything i need to do to get myself over to OZ.

Kev

Kev,

Have a look at the DIMIA website and download Booklet 6. This is where it all begins. You should be able to calculate your points from there.

Paul.
Old Dec 13th 2004, 1:36 pm
She's Diddy, He's Not

diddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond repute

And try the immigration site on here as well.
Old Dec 13th 2004, 1:46 pm
Forum Regular

Nancy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by diddy
Kev,

Have a look at the DIMIA website and download Booklet 6. This is where it all begins. You should be able to calculate your points from there.

Paul.

Hi Kevin,

You don't have to invest $100,000 but this way enables you to get 5 extra points and if you are struggling for points it is a good but expensive (for a year) way of getting what you want. But as Paul rightly said check out booklet 6 after you have digested it I am sure it will become clear.

Nancy
Old Dec 13th 2004, 1:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

cadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of light

You are aware that you get the 100k back after a year? It's £40k which is a lot but if you have capital in your property you could rent for a year until you get the money back.

Andy.
Old Dec 13th 2004, 2:16 pm
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

Kev
Most agents will offer you a half hour or so initial consultation
Old Dec 13th 2004, 11:47 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cadman
You are aware that you get the 100k back after a year? It's £40k which is a lot but if you have capital in your property you could rent for a year until you get the money back.

Andy.
Some people take out an extra mortgage on the equity in the property. It normally works provided you arrange flexible finance and fully understand the tax/fx issues involved.

Jeremy
Old Dec 14th 2004, 12:17 pm
Just Joined

Kevin Dunne is an unknown quantity at this point
Red face Re: HELP !!!i need to get to OZ

Originally Posted by JAJ
Some people take out an extra mortgage on the equity in the property. It normally works provided you arrange flexible finance and fully understand the tax/fx issues involved.

Jeremy
If i was to invest $100,000 what return would i get after 12 months or is it variable depending on how/where they invest it.

Kev
Old Dec 14th 2004, 6:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

YFitz has a brilliant futureYFitz has a brilliant futureYFitz has a brilliant futureYFitz has a brilliant futureYFitz has a brilliant futureYFitz has a brilliant future

If i was to invest $100,000 what return would i get after 12 months or is it variable depending on how/where they invest it.

Kev
When you get asked to post the bond (close to the end of the application process) you can email all the different state treasuries and they will tell you their interest rates. In the summer we got 5.25% with W.A. although they were all pretty much the same. You don't need to invest with the treasury of the state you are going to- any of them will do. There is loads of stuff here on bonds- try a search for "investment bond" or "100k bond" that should make things clearer.
HTH
Yv