Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Help I Can't Get the DVD to Work

Wikiposts

Help I Can't Get the DVD to Work

Old Nov 28th 2005, 1:39 pm
NO 8 THE LEGEND

Lerop Pekill has a reputation beyond reputeLerop Pekill has a reputation beyond reputeLerop Pekill has a reputation beyond reputeLerop Pekill has a reputation beyond reputeLerop Pekill has a reputation beyond reputeLerop Pekill has a reputation beyond reputeLerop Pekill has a reputation beyond reputeLerop Pekill has a reputation beyond reputeLerop Pekill has a reputation beyond reputeLerop Pekill has a reputation beyond reputeLerop Pekill has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help I Can't Get the DVD to Work

Originally Posted by diddy
Thanks.

Paul.
Dude, go and by a new telly.
Old Nov 28th 2005, 1:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

Trevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Bob
Problem with feeding a DVD player through a VCR is macro protection, could scramble the output signal, so might need to have the player...the RF modulator in that case would be the better bet...
Good point, but I am not sure if macrovision will kick in if you are just feeding through the VCR. Recording using the VCR will definitely run into macrovision problems.

Still, the OP should give the VCR option a try and see if they have macrovision issues (ie not being able to see a picture at all, just very snowy images jumping around). Should talke about 5-10 min to set up.

I didnt see any problems with macrovision, but then again, my VCR was ancient!
Old Nov 28th 2005, 2:12 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Trevglas
Good point, but I am not sure if macrovision will kick in if you are just feeding through the VCR. Recording using the VCR will definitely run into macrovision problems.
The macro protection usually covers a feed regardless of recording or not on the VCR, though that some what depends on the DVD player, but your right, only takes a few seconds to give it a try to find out, so nothing lost and all that
Old Nov 28th 2005, 4:32 pm
Forum Regular

jwatsonoz will become famous soon enough

You can get a lead that "modulates" the composite video output of your dvd (about $20). I believe you can get them from JAY CAR electronics.

However... if you TV is british... throw it in the bin (if it only has an ariel input then it is completely useless here).

Personally I would buy another TV anyway... a widescreen one... as most DVD films are widescreen and you need a widescreen tv to get the best effect. Your old tv will show black bands on the top & bottom of the screen when playing a film from DVD

I've finally joined the human race and bought a DVD player. However, I can't get the bl**dy thing to work. It's got something to do with me having an old TV that only has the aerial output.

Does anyone know if this should work, or what lead I need to get?

Thanks,

Paul.
Old Nov 28th 2005, 7:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

NedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond repute

I've finally joined the human race and bought a DVD player. However, I can't get the bl**dy thing to work. It's got something to do with me having an old TV that only has the aerial output.

Does anyone know if this should work, or what lead I need to get?

Thanks,

Paul.
If your TV has valves in it then it won't work with a DVD Player. It has something to do with the dipthong oscillator which works on a different radial frequency on valve TV's. Get a new TV you cheapskate.