Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Help, hubby has changed his mind!¬

Wikiposts

Help, hubby has changed his mind!¬

Old Aug 10th 2003, 1:20 pm
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help, hubby has changed his mind!¬

Originally posted by Linda Spilman
Hello everyone, I am new to this site. My problem is that my husband and I (& 2 kids) have our visas, the house is up for sale, we're suppossed to be moving to Melbourne early next year but hubby has now had a change of heart! His reasons for this are varied and I do understand them but if we don't go I'll always have that "what if?" factor.
often as him!

Help, what can I say to change his mind?!
Unbeliever cast him from your home and let him wonder the planet alone , how dare he care for his family so much as to not want to up root it to the arse end of the planet , shame on him.

Old Aug 10th 2003, 1:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road

One of my kids had health problems here and we had no family even tho Oz relatives here they deemed themselves too old to help!

We got bailed out by Macdonalds, they have houses built near most kids hospitals and you can get a family room for a nominal charge. Advntage was we could take shifts staying with one kid at the hospital and one at the Mac House. Masses of toys etc for other child and family type cooking facilities. Wonderful people there, very humbling, to see some of the kids problems people were trying to face. If you ever see a Macdonal house box stick something in they are really helping some tragic situations.
Old Aug 10th 2003, 1:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Wilf is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by dotty
One of my kids had health problems here and we had no family even tho Oz relatives here they deemed themselves too old to help!

We got bailed out by Macdonalds, they have houses built near most kids hospitals and you can get a family room for a nominal charge. Advntage was we could take shifts staying with one kid at the hospital and one at the Mac House. Masses of toys etc for other child and family type cooking facilities. Wonderful people there, very humbling, to see some of the kids problems people were trying to face. If you ever see a Macdonal house box stick something in they are really helping some tragic situations.

I have never heard of or seen these places and I am very surprised that this company is helping anyone. Well, credit where credit is due and this is a good scheme. You have taught me something.
Old Aug 10th 2003, 2:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Wilf is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Linda Spilman
Hello everyone, I am new to this site. My problem is that my husband and I (& 2 kids) have our visas, the house is up for sale, we're suppossed to be moving to Melbourne early next year but hubby has now had a change of heart! His reasons for this are varied and I do understand them but if we don't go I'll always have that "what if?" factor.
I'll briefly explain his reasons and would appreciate any reply comments.
1) Education - not happy about the fact that our 4 yr old daughter can apparently only get 3 max kindergarten sessions p/w when come Sept here she will be going to school 5 full days p/w. Likewise son, aged nearly 2 will not even be able to start kindergarten until he is 4 & 1/2.
2) Health care / family support - our son is diabetic & it is a worrying unknown quantity about level of health care. Also, although we don't have much family support here, we do have a little and it would appear that he will probably be in & out of hospital on a regular basis which makes it difficult to cover care for daughter.
3) Financial / lifestyle - hubby hates job as printer & was hoping to get out of it, but we will loose son's disability allowance & rate of exchange isn't as good as it was in Nov when we started process, so we will probably still have a mortgage & he will still probably have to do printing.
4) I don't think all the negative comments from PB etc have helped although I do try to tell him that people who are enjoying it are probably too busy to come onto the forum as often as him!

Help, what can I say to change his mind?!

To hate a job is not good. To not have enough work is much worse. There are many in Oz that would be grateful to have a full time permanent job that they could do, let alone hate.

If your husband is not keen, he is a wise man.
Old Aug 10th 2003, 8:15 pm
Came Back 2003

heading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really nice

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Linda Spilman
1) Education - not happy about the fact that our 4 yr old daughter can apparently only get 3 max kindergarten sessions p/w when come Sept here she will be going to school 5 full days p/w. Likewise son, aged nearly 2 will not even be able to start kindergarten until he is 4 & 1/2.

Hi Linda,

One of the reasons we came back from Brisbane was because of our little girl (now 4). We could only get one day pw at kindy for her and she was going up the walls with frustration. Also at kindy they insisted that they have a sleep in the afternoon (usually a couple of hours) and our little girl had gone there to play not to sleep and got into awful strife with the playleaders because she disturbed the others. in the end she totally refused to go!!!!!

Also she would have been old enough to start pre-school in January 2004 but because it is not compulsory there is a severe shortage of places and most have their kids names down from when they are born (some before!!!) and it looked as if we would really struggle to get her a place.

We came back in March and she started at the school nusery every afternoon straight away. She starts school there in September and to be honest she has never looked back, she is a much happier contented child.

I agree with the others, why don't you validate your visas, you can always go in a few years time by which time your children will be in the school system here and old enough to start school in Oz straight away and so not miss out.

Hope it all works out for you, I know what it is like I would have always wondered if I hadn't gone whereas after years (and I mean years) of wanting to live in Oz it is now well and truly out of my system.

Susan
Old Aug 10th 2003, 9:00 pm
Forum Regular

malx is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there, sounds like you've gone through all the hard application stuff, I can understand how you feel as everyone does get nervous at some point about going.

I have good friends that went to melbourne 3 yrs ago, a couple and their 6 kids aged 13 to 2 years,they really seem to be enjoying it.

As for education,my girlfriend works with a lass who used to be a primary teacher in OZ and compares education over here as not very good (shit in other words) and they sport oppertunites for kids are alot more than in the UK.

And then theres the "what if " factor!, if you dont do it, it will be in the back of your mind if you dont go, and the finger will start gettng pointed and if you've already spent alot of money applying!

We have never been to OZ before and hope to head out in April, just could do with some sunshine in our lives for a change, makes you feel healthier, instead of dull, cold days up here in Scotland.

I guess we're just a bit Scunnered with the UK nowadays, weather, fuel prices, weather, NHS, weather, house prices, weather and alot of other things,lol.

Try and find out from this site about the issues that your hubby is worried about, people are really helpful in here and I've only been coming in for a week and have learnt so much about all those little questions that you need to know about Australia.

Good luck now
Malx+Isla