Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

HELP how do I stop mozzies biting me

HELP how do I stop mozzies biting me

Old Nov 22nd 2005, 11:25 am
Just Joined

Sizeyuk1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default HELP how do I stop mozzies biting me

Anyone got any advice to stop me being bitten by mozzies, I am coming to Oz on Christmas Eve for 6 weeks, I will be on the Sunshine Coast where I believe the mozzies are bad at that time of year, I have allergic reaction when bitten and will try most things to stop the little b......... biting. :scared: :scared: :scared:
Old Nov 22nd 2005, 11:29 am
Forum Regular

Dinnie is just really niceDinnie is just really niceDinnie is just really niceDinnie is just really niceDinnie is just really niceDinnie is just really niceDinnie is just really niceDinnie is just really niceDinnie is just really nice
Default Re: HELP how do I stop mozzies biting me

Originally Posted by Sizeyuk1
Anyone got any advice to stop me being bitten by mozzies, I am coming to Oz on Christmas Eve for 6 weeks, I will be on the Sunshine Coast where I believe the mozzies are bad at that time of year, I have allergic reaction when bitten and will try most things to stop the little b......... biting. :scared: :scared: :scared:
My English hubby has pretty bad reactions to them when we go back for holidays. Lord knows how he'll cope when we live there.

I guess you have to do what any self-respecting Aussie does and that's invest in a bottle or 2 of Aeroguard (heavy-duty strength) and use liberally. Avoid being outdoors at twilight and wear light clothes with long sleeves.

Long sleeves don't necessarily mean you won't get bitten but it may reduce the amount of bites.

Seriously, when you get to Australia go to a pharmacy and ask a pharmacist what the best anti-mozzie spray will work for you.

Good luck and enjoy!

Dinnie
Old Nov 22nd 2005, 11:31 am
Account Closed

CasG is an unknown quantity at this point

I find Rid - 'tropical strength' works for me.....and I seem a target for the little bastards
Old Nov 22nd 2005, 11:34 am
Suzy's Mummy too!

Jonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond repute

Get some Spike Lavender Oil - not Essential Oil - you should be able to get it from a Chemist. Put it behind your ears, inside elbows, back of knees.... I have used that for years & it works for me!
Old Nov 22nd 2005, 11:37 am
Account Closed

suzy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Jonahs_mummy
Get some Spike Lavender Oil - not Essential Oil - you should be able to get it from a Chemist. Put it behind your ears, inside elbows, back of knees.... I have used that for years & it works for me!
Is Spike the brand name Claire. And does it stop them altogether or minimise it. The little buggers have a welcome committee for me at the airport every time I got Oz.
Old Nov 22nd 2005, 11:40 am
Forum Regular

ken.rooney is a jewel in the roughken.rooney is a jewel in the roughken.rooney is a jewel in the roughken.rooney is a jewel in the roughken.rooney is a jewel in the rough

best option would be to stay here in the UK but seriously aeroguard works well i only got 4 bites on my hols recently and the buy some stingose if you get bitten it relieves the itching.
Old Nov 22nd 2005, 11:41 am
Just Joined

Sizeyuk1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Dinnie
My English hubby has pretty bad reactions to them when we go back for holidays. Lord knows how he'll cope when we live there.

I guess you have to do what any self-respecting Aussie does and that's invest in a bottle or 2 of Aeroguard (heavy-duty strength) and use liberally. Avoid being outdoors at twilight and wear light clothes with long sleeves.

Long sleeves don't necessarily mean you won't get bitten but it may reduce the amount of bites.

Seriously, when you get to Australia go to a pharmacy and ask a pharmacist what the best anti-mozzie spray will work for you.

Good luck and enjoy!

Dinnie
Thanks Dinnie, My daughter who moved there in January takes vitamin B6, a friend has also told me to try AVON dry oil body spray in the fresh green, will take your advice as well.
Old Nov 22nd 2005, 11:46 am
Account Closed

Can you get Rid and Aeroguard in supermarkets or do you have to go to a chemist.?
Old Nov 22nd 2005, 11:52 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Vitamin B1 = Thiamin is supposed to put the blighters off your scent.
Marmite is an ideal source.
Old Nov 22nd 2005, 11:58 am
Account Closed

CasG is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by suzy
Can you get Rid and Aeroguard in supermarkets or do you have to go to a chemist.?
Both
Old Nov 22nd 2005, 11:58 am
BE Enthusiast

john_w has a reputation beyond reputejohn_w has a reputation beyond reputejohn_w has a reputation beyond reputejohn_w has a reputation beyond reputejohn_w has a reputation beyond reputejohn_w has a reputation beyond reputejohn_w has a reputation beyond reputejohn_w has a reputation beyond reputejohn_w has a reputation beyond reputejohn_w has a reputation beyond reputejohn_w has a reputation beyond repute

We went to the school of tropical medicine and bought some moziguard, it worked well....even on small animals upto 10m away!!!!
Old Nov 22nd 2005, 12:02 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by carolinegorka
Both
Thanks.
Old Nov 22nd 2005, 12:03 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Bix
Vitamin B1 = Thiamin is supposed to put the blighters off your scent.
Marmite is an ideal source.

Is that in vegemite too? 'Cos if it is it doesn't work for me.
Old Nov 22nd 2005, 12:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

Madhouse! is a jewel in the roughMadhouse! is a jewel in the roughMadhouse! is a jewel in the roughMadhouse! is a jewel in the roughMadhouse! is a jewel in the rough

Mozzie Free you can get it in most chemists, It has the B1 in it that the mozzies dont like... taken daily certainly has done the trick for my son he just looks like he has abit of teenage achne rather than chicken pox now We also spray him with aeroguard too, just for good measure

Claire
Old Nov 22nd 2005, 12:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

cranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dinnie

Good luck and enjoy!

Dinnie
You know my son suffered terribly when we first came, well for the first 6 months. Had really bad reacton to mozzies, but he seems to be ok now ,still gets bitten but does not swell up as much. we use avon skin so soft mozzie reppellent. Denise

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.