Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

HELP! How do I get a carseat from the UK to Brisbane cheaply?

HELP! How do I get a carseat from the UK to Brisbane cheaply?

Old Oct 24th 2009, 11:51 pm
Account Closed

kporte is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: HELP! How do I get a carseat from the UK to Brisbane cheaply?

Top tip for mothers worried about the deadly Australian baby car seat.
Let your husband drive and you won't bump into anything in the first place.....
Old Oct 25th 2009, 12:30 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: UK 2 Singapore 2 Sydney 2 Brisbane.....here to stay!
Rudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kporte
I see the Aus v UK debate has reached a new low. Which has the most advanced car seats.
I wait with bated breath for the inevitable "Toilet paper is better in Uk/Aus" thread.
Ps Isn't it odd that we have Ipods, space travel etc, but still wipe our arses with wadded up bits of paper?
Oh definitely Aussie toilet paper - it's FAR more advanced

Love

Rudi
x
Old Oct 25th 2009, 1:07 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

I see the Aus v UK debate has reached a new low. Which has the most advanced car seats.
I wait with bated breath for the inevitable "Toilet paper is better in Uk/Aus" thread.
Ps Isn't it odd that we have Ipods, space travel etc, but still wipe our arses with wadded up bits of paper?
Toilet paper has been done several times, though its time we had another thread on the subject I guess, its been a while
Old Oct 25th 2009, 10:18 am
Forum Regular

Effie1970 has a brilliant futureEffie1970 has a brilliant futureEffie1970 has a brilliant futureEffie1970 has a brilliant futureEffie1970 has a brilliant futureEffie1970 has a brilliant futureEffie1970 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Rudi
Tragic story, but at least the baby survived with very few injuries in one of those "unsafe" Aussie car seats.

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,27574...97-421,00.html

Love

Rudi
x
I dont think that the Aus seats are "unsafe", they are definitely better than the alternative (ie nothing) but there is a heap of research and testing that says that ISOFIX is safer than the Aus standard, particularly for a toddler in a booster seat (especially when a lot of the toddler seats sold in Aus have no harness).

Its something that a lot of parents (not just expats) are concerned about and more so those with cars that have ISOFIX fittings that the Aus seats cant be fitted onto.

Personally I would love to see it changed.
Old Oct 27th 2009, 6:49 am
BE Enthusiast

slipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Effie1970
I dont think that the Aus seats are "unsafe", they are definitely better than the alternative (ie nothing) but there is a heap of research and testing that says that ISOFIX is safer than the Aus standard, particularly for a toddler in a booster seat (especially when a lot of the toddler seats sold in Aus have no harness).

Its something that a lot of parents (not just expats) are concerned about and more so those with cars that have ISOFIX fittings that the Aus seats cant be fitted onto.

Personally I would love to see it changed.
Exactly - this is not about Aus seats being unsafe and on-one has said that (although why let the truth get in the way of some comments...). They are safer than many countries regulations and have been for a good number of years.

Just that ISOFIX is not allowed in Australia, and I (and others) would hope that is would be and should be, IN ADDITION TO the current regulations. Not replacing...

The simple fact is that those of us with ISOFIX seats wish to use them as they are safer, yet we risk being prosecuted for using them. That is crazy...

Every other car manufacturer was able to adopt the policy so why should Ford Aus and Holden Aus be any different? It's a cost, but arguably, so is fitting ESP to every car as Aus manufactuers will soon be required to do. It will help the average driver but if no-one checks their tyres year on year out, ESP will not save you sliding on bald tyres on wet and greasy roads....

Like the fact that Australia only recently (compared to many other countries) made a lap and sash belt a requirement in the middle seat. That saves lives.

Or that even BRAND NEW cars do not have to have a drivers air bag (as in the case of some new Chinese-built models from Great Wall).

It just seems strange that some regulations are pushed through while others, adopted by many other countries, are not...

Not complaining, just confused...
Old Oct 29th 2009, 1:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by slipshot

It just seems strange that some regulations are pushed through while others, adopted by many other countries, are not...

Not complaining, just confused...
All sounds reasonable, except the "confused" part It seems normal to me as it happens in all countries....in all countries some widespread regulations are accepted straight away, some are not. Sometimes a country is ahead, sometimes behind. Sometimes more complicated reasons for these things than we know...we might have made the same decision if we knew all the facts...
Old Oct 29th 2009, 2:34 am
ABCDiamond

You still use paper ?
You haven't gone electronic in your toilet yet ?

http://hyundaibidet.com.au/sub07.htm

It cleans you, rinses you and dries you.... and
Another great feature is the hot and cold water massage function that provides great relief and easier bowel movements
Attached Thumbnails HELP! How do I get a carseat from the UK to Brisbane cheaply?-hdbr-550.jpg  

Old Oct 29th 2009, 3:01 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
You still use paper ?
You haven't gone electronic in your toilet yet ?

http://hyundaibidet.com.au/sub07.htm

It cleans you, rinses you and dries you.... and
I had one of those spray me in the face once in the Hilton Kuala Lumpur when I decided to have a play with the buttons!
Old Oct 29th 2009, 4:47 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bcworld
I had one of those spray me in the face once in the Hilton Kuala Lumpur when I decided to have a play with the buttons!
Eeeeewwwww gross.
Old Oct 29th 2009, 6:55 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: UK 2 Singapore 2 Sydney 2 Brisbane.....here to stay!
Rudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bcworld

BWHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

Love

Rudi
x