Reload this Page >

Help with housing and schools melbourne

Help with housing and schools melbourne

Old Apr 26th 2008, 10:26 am
Forum Regular

jamesjack is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Help with housing and schools melbourne

Hi

Can anyone help. We are hoping to move to Melbourne. OH got a job offer on the St Kilda Road. We are needing to be near a primary and Secondary school. The secondary school hopefully offering the International Baccalaurette Diploma. Also where abouts is a quietish place to live nearby with a hint of countryside to it?? may sound stupid but just seeing what my options are. We will be renting a house to start for a few years. Thanks for any help and advice you can give.
Old Apr 27th 2008, 5:39 am
Just Joined

Kat71 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Help with housing and schools melbourne

Originally Posted by jamesjack
Hi

Can anyone help. We are hoping to move to Melbourne. OH got a job offer on the St Kilda Road. We are needing to be near a primary and Secondary school. The secondary school hopefully offering the International Baccalaurette Diploma. Also where abouts is a quietish place to live nearby with a hint of countryside to it?? may sound stupid but just seeing what my options are. We will be renting a house to start for a few years. Thanks for any help and advice you can give.
Try Dingley, Cheltenham etc. Cheltenham High School has an excellent reputation and is countryish and near the beach. Also about 35 minutes from st kilda road
Old Apr 27th 2008, 6:19 am
Forum Regular

melbournegirl has much to be proud ofmelbournegirl has much to be proud ofmelbournegirl has much to be proud ofmelbournegirl has much to be proud ofmelbournegirl has much to be proud ofmelbournegirl has much to be proud ofmelbournegirl has much to be proud ofmelbournegirl has much to be proud ofmelbournegirl has much to be proud ofmelbournegirl has much to be proud ofmelbournegirl has much to be proud of

http://www.ibo.org/school/search/ind...d_schools=Find

The above should give you a list of International Bacc. in Melbourne. There are primary school programes, middle school and Diploma.

Brighton Primary School offers International Bacc. program and it has a good reputation and is a lovely bayside area but very $$$ to live in.

Most of the secondary schools that offer IBS are private schools. Are you intending to use private or state run schools? There are girls schools, boys school and co-education schools as well as many Catholic schools.

When you say country atmosphere do you mean a rural setting or just a leafy suburb? If you want to be in a semi rural area you would have to live quite a long way out of the city. There are also beautiful, leafy suburbs close to the city such as Kew, Malvern, Canterbury, Armadale that are quiet and lovely with all the amenities you could want but are expensive. It all depends on your budget and whether you want to buy or rent.

If you give us more info we may be able to narrow it down a bit for you.

Last edited by melbournegirl; Apr 27th 2008 at 6:22 am.
Old Apr 27th 2008, 6:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by melbournegirl
http://www.ibo.org/school/search/ind...d_schools=Find

The above should give you a list of International Bacc. in Melbourne. There are primary school programes, middle school and Diploma.

Brighton Primary School offers International Bacc. program and it has a good reputation and is a lovely bayside area but very $$$ to live in.

Most of the secondary schools that offer IBS are private schools. Are you intending to use private or state run schools? There are girls schools, boys school and co-education schools as well as many Catholic schools.

When you say country atmosphere do you mean a rural setting or just a leafy suburb? If you want to be in a semi rural area you would have to live quite a long way out of the city. There are also beautiful, leafy suburbs close to the city such as Kew, Malvern, Canterbury, Armadale that are quiet and lovely with all the amenities you could want but are expensive. It all depends on your budget and whether you want to buy or rent.

If you give us more info we may be able to narrow it down a bit for you.
Not always private.... the local Muslim school has this program.

Australian International Academy of Education School Type:Pri/Sec.Education Sector:Independent. Address:56 Bakers Road
NORTH COBURG.Denomination:Islamic. Phone Number:9350 4533. Fax Number:9354 4731.
Old Apr 27th 2008, 8:42 am
Forum Regular

jamesjack is an unknown quantity at this point

I think we have similar ideas (Kat71). We already tooked at Cheltenham and it sounds like what we are looking for.
You are right about there being no IBD for government run schools - we sort of guessed this would be the case anyway, and therefore expensive!

I agree that Brighton looks very expensive (I supose you get what you pay for), but will check out Kew, Malvern, Canterbury and Armadale areas.
We will be renting for the forseeable future ($400-$450pw?) whilst on 457, but hopefully will get PR asap.

I'd rather have the kids closer to their schools than have me closer to St Kilda for work. We did see that Wesley College does IB, so maybe we can kill 2 birds with one stone. Does anyone have experiece of Wesley?

Cheers,
jamesjack
Old Apr 27th 2008, 9:11 am
Just Joined

Kat71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jamesjack
I think we have similar ideas (Kat71). We already tooked at Cheltenham and it sounds like what we are looking for.
You are right about there being no IBD for government run schools - we sort of guessed this would be the case anyway, and therefore expensive!

I agree that Brighton looks very expensive (I supose you get what you pay for), but will check out Kew, Malvern, Canterbury and Armadale areas.
We will be renting for the forseeable future ($400-$450pw?) whilst on 457, but hopefully will get PR asap.

I'd rather have the kids closer to their schools than have me closer to St Kilda for work. We did see that Wesley College does IB, so maybe we can kill 2 birds with one stone. Does anyone have experiece of Wesley?

Cheers,
jamesjack
Hi Cheltenham is my old stomping ground. I lived there for 16 years before moving to the country and know the schools and areas very well. If your looking at private schools look at St Leonards, it has two campuses one in brighton and one out in Patterson River about 20 minutes from Cheltenham and about 10 from Dingley Village. Also Haiylebury (can never spell it correctly) does the courses you are looking for and is 5 minutes from Dingley and has high school and primary school. Wesley is a good school but more expensive than others and nearer the city so you would end up living that way. Realestate.com.au has a great range of rentals in various areas.

County/Village atmosphere you cant go past Dingley and Bangholme in some areas which again is near st leonards and Hailybury. If your looking at state schools then Cheltenham as a good primary school so does dingley or beaumaris although that area is almost as pricey as Brighton. Aspendale Gardens is also a nice area although can be dodgy in parts.
Let me know if i can be of any further help as i have quite a few friends still down in that area. We are now 1.5 hours from Melbourne in Bendigo.
Old Apr 27th 2008, 10:30 am
Forum Regular

melbournegirl has much to be proud ofmelbournegirl has much to be proud ofmelbournegirl has much to be proud ofmelbournegirl has much to be proud ofmelbournegirl has much to be proud ofmelbournegirl has much to be proud ofmelbournegirl has much to be proud ofmelbournegirl has much to be proud ofmelbournegirl has much to be proud ofmelbournegirl has much to be proud ofmelbournegirl has much to be proud of

My Mum lives in Cheltenham and is a good, convenient location though the housing stock is generally 50 years or older. It might be a good place to rent though. Kew, Malvern, Armadale etc. are expensive and you are not going to find much to rent at $400 per week except for flats. Houses would be alot more. Not sure what the going rate for rentals in Cheltenham is but you could look at www.realestate.com.au for some idea. A British friend of mine lives at the Epsom Estate in Mordialloc which is a new area but close to beach, train etc. and not too far from the city. I suggest you look up the websites of those schools that offer the IB to get idea of fees etc.