Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

help Hervey Bay or Sydney?????????

help Hervey Bay or Sydney?????????

Old Jun 19th 2008, 7:11 pm
Forum Regular

goosefat is just really nicegoosefat is just really nicegoosefat is just really nicegoosefat is just really nicegoosefat is just really nicegoosefat is just really nicegoosefat is just really nicegoosefat is just really nice
Default help Hervey Bay or Sydney?????????

Hi

Can any one help please?

We have set our hearts on Hervey Bay as we have 2 little girls age 4 & 5 . And would like the way of life . But Ive been offered my dream job in Sydney . I would need to go to Crows Nest , twice a week only . The rest of the time I would be on the road . I would have a salary of approx 75,000 dollars p.a plus bonus. But hubby no job yet . He drives a fork truck at the minute. We are heading to oz , Jan 09 . I have looked at some nice child friendly areas out side Sydney , but the rentals seem to be sooo ! expensive . To buy also seems near on impossible . Will have about 100k to put down on a new house . But it all seems to expensive for the child friendly areas. Does any one have any ideas on areas that would be nice for us ? Or shall we stick to the plan of Hervey bay ? I just dont want to be working just to pay bills and be worse off than now .

Any information or ideas would be much loved .

Thanks

Tam
Old Jun 20th 2008, 1:17 am
NO 8 THE LEGEND

Lerop Pekill has a reputation beyond reputeLerop Pekill has a reputation beyond reputeLerop Pekill has a reputation beyond reputeLerop Pekill has a reputation beyond reputeLerop Pekill has a reputation beyond reputeLerop Pekill has a reputation beyond reputeLerop Pekill has a reputation beyond reputeLerop Pekill has a reputation beyond reputeLerop Pekill has a reputation beyond reputeLerop Pekill has a reputation beyond reputeLerop Pekill has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: help Hervey Bay or Sydney?????????

Originally Posted by goosefat
Hi

Can any one help please?

We have set our hearts on Hervey Bay as we have 2 little girls age 4 & 5 . And would like the way of life . But Ive been offered my dream job in Sydney . I would need to go to Crows Nest , twice a week only . The rest of the time I would be on the road . I would have a salary of approx 75,000 dollars p.a plus bonus. But hubby no job yet . He drives a fork truck at the minute. We are heading to oz , Jan 09 . I have looked at some nice child friendly areas out side Sydney , but the rentals seem to be sooo ! expensive . To buy also seems near on impossible . Will have about 100k to put down on a new house . But it all seems to expensive for the child friendly areas. Does any one have any ideas on areas that would be nice for us ? Or shall we stick to the plan of Hervey bay ? I just dont want to be working just to pay bills and be worse off than now .

Any information or ideas would be much loved .

Thanks

Tam

have you been to Hervey Bay? it is about as opposite to Sydney as you can get, it is a fairly remote area, so i think it really all depends on what you are looking for.
Old Jun 20th 2008, 2:28 am
Forum Regular

PC Pom is just really nicePC Pom is just really nicePC Pom is just really nicePC Pom is just really nicePC Pom is just really nicePC Pom is just really nicePC Pom is just really nicePC Pom is just really nice

Go with Sydney, Tam. Dream jobs don't come up that often and the chances of your husband finding employment will probably be better in Sydney.

Don't get me wrong, there's nothing wrong with Hervey Bay. We visit the area frequently and have even bought a property to let just minutes from the beach up there, but it is a town that has a lot of elderly residents and the pace of life is very slow. Perhaps that is what you want?

It's a difficult one. Your wages, whatever you decide to do should you move to HB will be about 1/3 or more less than Syd. But house prices are so good in HB it's hard not to overlook that.

You know, even I'm confused now!

Paul.
Old Jun 20th 2008, 2:54 am
Forum Regular

SurferBoy will become famous soon enoughSurferBoy will become famous soon enough

same as above really. My friend lives there and theres not much work about at all. He has to work in Maryborough.

and there are no waves at HB !!

and like the above post says its quite remote ie. 5 hours ish to Brisbane!

Sydney everytime for me...no contest.
Old Jun 22nd 2008, 7:10 pm
Forum Regular

goosefat is just really nicegoosefat is just really nicegoosefat is just really nicegoosefat is just really nicegoosefat is just really nicegoosefat is just really nicegoosefat is just really nicegoosefat is just really nice

Originally Posted by SurferBoy
same as above really. My friend lives there and theres not much work about at all. He has to work in Maryborough.

and there are no waves at HB !!

and like the above post says its quite remote ie. 5 hours ish to Brisbane!

Sydney everytime for me...no contest.
Thanks so much , for all your info. I think its going to be a chicken and egg situation what ever we go for . What about any nice places to live with kids pls . Any ideas ?

Thanks Again in advance .

Tam
Old Jun 23rd 2008, 1:23 am
Forum Regular

SurferBoy will become famous soon enoughSurferBoy will become famous soon enough

we have found ( we belive ) Paradise on earth here on the sunshine coast. Perfect climate ...absolutely fantastic for children/families, beutiful scenery etc etc..

But its each to their own isnt it! Maybe a few months ( if possible ) driving around and staying in a few places...see what you think....thats what we did and it seemed to have worked...

If you have to stay around Sydney i belive the Northern beaches are pretty good but im not to sure. maybe someone who is down there could help more.

Good luck with your search.
Old Jun 23rd 2008, 7:24 am
Forum Regular

PC Pom is just really nicePC Pom is just really nicePC Pom is just really nicePC Pom is just really nicePC Pom is just really nicePC Pom is just really nicePC Pom is just really nicePC Pom is just really nice

Just a follow-up post to the cost of Hervey Bay. We've got a place up there which we rent out. This is not a holiday home, it's a real rental so from this you'll get an idea what it costs up there relative to Sydney.

It's a 4 bed 2 bath new place about 10 - 20 minutes from Hervey Bay centre. A real two minute stroll to the beach and sits on a modest 600 quaremetre corner block. In other words, typical of the new style of build. For this we are asking typical rent of $285/week. Rentals in the area are freely available.

SurferBoy - I'll second your description of the Sunshine Coast. I live here too. But it's nigh impossible to rent and when it is it's really expensive. Pity. Great area for kids though.
Old Jun 23rd 2008, 8:15 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by PC Pom
Just a follow-up post to the cost of Hervey Bay. We've got a place up there which we rent out. This is not a holiday home, it's a real rental so from this you'll get an idea what it costs up there relative to Sydney.

It's a 4 bed 2 bath new place about 10 - 20 minutes from Hervey Bay centre. A real two minute stroll to the beach and sits on a modest 600 quaremetre corner block. In other words, typical of the new style of build. For this we are asking typical rent of $285/week. Rentals in the area are freely available.

SurferBoy - I'll second your description of the Sunshine Coast. I live here too. But it's nigh impossible to rent and when it is it's really expensive. Pity. Great area for kids though.
i was up in Hervey Bay for a christening at the weekend. We stayed with friends in err..Urangan i think its called. Nice big house on a big block..think they paid $280k for it. And like you say.....you may be lucky to get a v.small unit here for that.

The cost of paradise eh!
Old Jun 23rd 2008, 9:00 am
Forum Regular

emigratingherberts will become famous soon enoughemigratingherberts will become famous soon enough

Crows Nest is nice and all the surrounding areas. However, it is very expensive. The further north or west you go, the cheaper the houses due to the longer commutes to the city. Also, if you stay away from the train lines it gets cheaper. The commute to Crows Nest is a nightmare from the northern beaches ie. Dee Why, Avalon, Manly so I would stick to the western side Chatswood, Willoughby, Artarmon. It depends how long you want to spend in the car. All of the suburbs up the train line, Roseville, Pymble, Turramurra are also lovely but again expensive. I live on the North Shore, although have only been here for 6 months, so if you want any more info on suburbs just ask. I might be able to help a bit. (Don't know anything about Hervey bay though)
Old Jun 23rd 2008, 9:36 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by SurferBoy
we have found ( we belive ) Paradise on earth here on the sunshine coast. Perfect climate ...absolutely fantastic for children/families, beutiful scenery etc etc..

But its each to their own isnt it! Maybe a few months ( if possible ) driving around and staying in a few places...see what you think....thats what we did and it seemed to have worked...

If you have to stay around Sydney i belive the Northern beaches are pretty good but im not to sure. maybe someone who is down there could help more.

Good luck with your search.
Hi

I looked at the sunshine coast also ,it looks fab ! But was drawn to the property prices in Hervey bay. And the slow life for the kids. They say its up and coming though ? Do you know any thing about the development there? But the work situation my be a stumbling block . We dont care we will wash boats as long as we are happy .!! lol!
Just feel torn with my job offer , dont want to make the wrong choice about living in Sydney or NSW . The kids would have to move schools again .
I am a hairdresser / Beauty Therapist . There seems to be quite a few shops in and around Hervey Bay . Still dont know . Maybe like you said need to visit both places .

Thanks again for you help Surferboy and pc pom. And every one else.

Tam
Old Jun 23rd 2008, 9:43 am
Where traffic lights rule

themerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond repute

Normally if property is cheaper then jobs are harder to find and/or are lower paid.
Catch 22 really !

Hi

I looked at the sunshine coast also ,it looks fab ! But was drawn to the property prices in Hervey bay.
Old Jun 23rd 2008, 10:17 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by themerlin
Normally if property is cheaper then jobs are harder to find and/or are lower paid.
Catch 22 really !
Hi

Yes this is the problem , but if we have less out lay and small mortgage might be ok . Nightmare !!!! lol

Tam
Old Jun 23rd 2008, 10:19 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by emigratingherberts
Crows Nest is nice and all the surrounding areas. However, it is very expensive. The further north or west you go, the cheaper the houses due to the longer commutes to the city. Also, if you stay away from the train lines it gets cheaper. The commute to Crows Nest is a nightmare from the northern beaches ie. Dee Why, Avalon, Manly so I would stick to the western side Chatswood, Willoughby, Artarmon. It depends how long you want to spend in the car. All of the suburbs up the train line, Roseville, Pymble, Turramurra are also lovely but again expensive. I live on the North Shore, although have only been here for 6 months, so if you want any more info on suburbs just ask. I might be able to help a bit. (Don't know anything about Hervey bay though)
Hi

Thanks for the info, Where do you pls , if you dont mind me asking ?

Tam
Old Jun 23rd 2008, 11:49 pm
Forum Regular

emigratingherberts will become famous soon enoughemigratingherberts will become famous soon enough

Hi

Thanks for the info, Where do you pls , if you dont mind me asking ?

Tam
We live in Mosman right now but are planning to move asap because of the cost here. It sounds very different to Hervey Bay. Everyone works very long hours here and the traffic is horrendous. You also get very little house for your money. It is a very safe area though with lots of beaches to chose from and very kid friendly. If you are after a quiet life, Sydney may not be for you. What are you used to at the moment - quiet or hectic?
Old Jun 24th 2008, 3:56 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by emigratingherberts
We live in Mosman right now but are planning to move asap because of the cost here. It sounds very different to Hervey Bay. Everyone works very long hours here and the traffic is horrendous. You also get very little house for your money. It is a very safe area though with lots of beaches to chose from and very kid friendly. If you are after a quiet life, Sydney may not be for you. What are you used to at the moment - quiet or hectic?
Hi
Thanks again , We live 26 milies from London which I love but only go twice a year ! We live in a villiage in Essex at the moment , really quite . But its just the job in Sydney I would love proberbly . Not the traffic etc .... I think we will stay skint and go to Hervey Bay ! lol! Had a look where you live it looks nice , but lots of pennys . Shame . Never get 2 things at once .

Tam

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.