Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Help!!!! have received police checks!!! not good!

Help!!!! have received police checks!!! not good!

Old Dec 17th 2004, 9:19 am
Forum Regular

griffinfamily is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Help!! police checks back not good!!!

Hi all

Ok we sent our police checks off weeks ago received mine back within 2 wks, but hubby's has arrived today with a caution recorded on it, wasn't sure whether it would show up! I am a little worried is this going to cause any problems in getting a visa! Any advice would be helpful,

Many Thanks in advance

Nicky
Old Dec 17th 2004, 9:24 am
Forum Regular

Question Help!!!! have received police checks!!! not good!

Morning all

Ok a little worried we've had our police checks back mine is ok but hubby's shows a caution which was recorded in 2000, is this going to cause any problems getting a visa? Does it depend what it was for? other than that one thing everything else is ok! Any advice would be gratefully received,

Many thanks in advance

Nicky
Old Dec 17th 2004, 9:27 am
Forum Regular

Default Re: Help!!!! have received police checks!!! not good!

Originally Posted by griffinfamily
Morning all

Ok a little worried we've had our police checks back mine is ok but hubby's shows a caution which was recorded in 2000, is this going to cause any problems getting a visa? Does it depend what it was for? other than that one thing everything else is ok! Any advice would be gratefully received,

Many thanks in advance

Nicky
Sorry for the duplicate problems with computer operator i think!!!!

ME whoops!!!
Old Dec 17th 2004, 9:35 am
Birds of a feather . . .

binbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help!!!! have received police checks!!! not good!

Morning all

Many thanks in advance

Nicky
No advice but.....

Do you know what the caution was for? Just checking coz my hubby got his police record back and it had 5 convictions on it within the last 10 years. Fortunately it was a case of mistaken identity but it did have me worrying for a mo that he was leading a double existence and I was concerned when I was going to be on the end of his domestic violence!

So would the real Andrew Hall please step forward! Very poor that the police department sent out information about someone else in the first place, don't you think?! And they weren't at all apologetic about their error either.

Hoping it is a minor detail for you. Good luck.

Binbird
Old Dec 17th 2004, 10:03 am
Dancing Queen

Lucyemma5 is a jewel in the roughLucyemma5 is a jewel in the roughLucyemma5 is a jewel in the roughLucyemma5 is a jewel in the roughLucyemma5 is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Help!! police checks back not good!!!

Hi all

Ok we sent our police checks off weeks ago received mine back within 2 wks, but hubby's has arrived today with a caution recorded on it, wasn't sure whether it would show up! I am a little worried is this going to cause any problems in getting a visa! Any advice would be helpful,

Many Thanks in advance

Nicky
Nicky

A caution is nothing to worry about. There are plenty of people who have got in, after serving prison sentences of less than 12 months. A caution is given to a non-serious offence, like being drunk and dissordley or disturbing the peace.

A person will fail the character test when:

the person has a substantial criminal record, defined as where the person has been:
sentenced to a term of imprisonment for 12 months or more, or
sentenced to either death or life imprisonment, or
sentenced to two or more terms of imprisonment (whether on one or more occasions), where the total of those terms is two years or more, or
acquitted of an offence on the grounds of either unsoundness of mind or insanity and, as a result, the person has been detained in a facility or institution,
the person either has, or has had, an association with an individual, group or organisation suspected of having been, or being, involved in criminal conduct,
there is a significant risk that the person will engage in criminal conduct in Australia; harass, molest, intimidate or stalk another person in Australia; vilify a segment of the Australian community; or incite discord in the Australian community or in a segment of that community,
having regard to the person's past and present criminal conduct, the person is found not to be of good character, and
having regard to the person's past and present general conduct, the person is found to be not of good character.
A person whose visa is cancelled on criminal grounds is permanently excluded from Australia.

This information is directly off the DIMIA website, so don't panic.

Lucy