British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   HELP! Have a 5kg Parcel that I need to get from UK to Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/help-have-5kg-parcel-i-need-get-uk-australia-562193/)

zenamethyst Sep 17th 2008 11:31 pm

HELP! Have a 5kg Parcel that I need to get from UK to Australia

Hi all

I have done a big order of essentials that you can't get over here in Oz and got them sent to my friends house. The 2 boxes come to 5kg in total and I need them asap but couriers are quoting a fortune and i found one online courier broker who uses DHL and would only charge around 45 pounds but i have to be in the uk to register to use this service! My friend is doing me a favour so I don't want to have to put her out really of having to register etc and especially as I need to pay for it! :curse:
What's my best solution? Get her to divide them into 5 boxes of 1kg so the bloody royal mail will accept them? :confused:
ANy help most gratefully appreciated:thumbsup:

Blossom Sep 18th 2008 12:05 am

Re: HELP! Have a 5kg Parcel that I need to get from UK to Australia

I use royal mail for parcels upto 2kg and they have gone through fairly quickly.
I posted one last Friday and my daughter received it yesterday (Wednesday morning)!

Their charges are online, I think up to 2kg they are classed as small packets.

zenamethyst Sep 18th 2008 12:29 am

Hi
I don't want to really have to use royal mail as that means that my friend has to pay for it upfront. If I can find a courier that's reasonable then all she needs to do is re-address the parcels and hand them to the courier. Royal mail will also charge 21 pounds for 2kg so thats over 50 pounds for all 5kg plus extra padded jiffy bags or boxes

quoll Sep 18th 2008 12:45 am

My DH posted two 5kg parcels by surface mail to Aus while we were in UK on holiday and I think they cost L25 each. That is probably still cheaper than a courier service. Surface mail can take aeons though.

zenamethyst Sep 18th 2008 12:52 am

Surface mail took 4 and a half months the last few parcels! Xmas presents arrived in may!!!!!! The stuff I need posting is face care stuff and herbal medicine so will go off/deteriorate and won't see it until 2009! God knows where it goes and why it takes so long. I think the blinin royal mail is the only way to go as keep getting quotes for 127, 150, 196 pounds!

hitchcock71 Sep 18th 2008 1:02 am

i dont know if staples still do this but they use to do a courier service they used dhl but was not as expensive as dhl maybe worth a try if there is a staples shop near to your friend

uk it cost £10.00 for anything upto 15kilos that was anywhere in the uk to delivered - they also did international

Pollyana Sep 18th 2008 5:48 am

Originally Posted by zenamethyst (Post 6794772)
Surface mail took 4 and a half months the last few parcels! Xmas presents arrived in may!!!!!! The stuff I need posting is face care stuff and herbal medicine so will go off/deteriorate and won't see it until 2009! God knows where it goes and why it takes so long. I think the blinin royal mail is the only way to go as keep getting quotes for 127, 150, 196 pounds!

Use a shipping company like SevenSeas or Excess Baggage Co but get them to do Air freight rather than Surface. Not much slower than a courier and should be a lot cheaper. :)

philnorris Sep 18th 2008 7:43 am

Excess baggage quoted me around £200 for 2 bikes, 2 large boxes, my TV and computer. So not bad if you ask me.

Bharat Sep 18th 2008 7:49 am

Have you tried Parcel2Go ?

Jarvl Sep 18th 2008 7:52 am

Originally Posted by zenamethyst (Post 6794603)
Hi all

I have done a big order of essentials that you can't get over here in Oz and got them sent to my friends house. The 2 boxes come to 5kg in total and I need them asap but couriers are quoting a fortune and i found one online courier broker who uses DHL and would only charge around 45 pounds but i have to be in the uk to register to use this service! My friend is doing me a favour so I don't want to have to put her out really of having to register etc and especially as I need to pay for it! :curse:
What's my best solution? Get her to divide them into 5 boxes of 1kg so the bloody royal mail will accept them? :confused:
ANy help most gratefully appreciated:thumbsup:

We have used http://www.wedelivertheworld.co.uk/index.php,

Blossom Sep 18th 2008 11:23 am

Even Couriers charge upfront! Better off with Royal Mail IMO.

Pollyana Sep 18th 2008 11:32 am

Originally Posted by philnorris (Post 6795409)
Excess baggage quoted me around £200 for 2 bikes, 2 large boxes, my TV and computer. So not bad if you ask me.

I can't remember prices cos its been a while, but I sent some boxes out by air freight 5 years ago, took about 4 days door to door, and it was quite a reasonable price. That was with Excess Baggage too :)

lapin_windstar Sep 18th 2008 6:11 pm

Originally Posted by zenamethyst (Post 6794772)
I think the blinin royal mail is the only way to go as keep getting quotes for 127, 150, 196 pounds!

Try ParcelForce instead of Royal Mail.

ridds Sep 18th 2008 10:51 pm

Originally Posted by Jarvl (Post 6795431)

We used these guys as well this week - 78GBP for a 10kg box, picked up on Monday UK time and delivered Thursday in Oz. You will need to email the paperwork to your friend for him / her to print out, but you can do all the payment online yourself.

Pollyana Sep 19th 2008 3:20 am

Originally Posted by ridds (Post 6798235)
We used these guys as well this week - 78GBP for a 10kg box, picked up on Monday UK time and delivered Thursday in Oz. You will need to email the paperwork to your friend for him / her to print out, but you can do all the payment online yourself.

They look quite good actually, may come in handy for my next shopping trip home! I take it you were happy with the service?