Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Help!! GP has LOST our medicals!!!

Help!! GP has LOST our medicals!!!

Old Mar 31st 2003, 11:11 am
BE Enthusiast

jajpe is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Help!! GP has LOST our medicals!!!

OK never mind the jet lag i feel sick now!! Sorry i do appreciate all the replies honest, just that i have something else to worry about today!! Had the old medicals done on the 12th of March along with the blood tests and GP promised to post them when results came back within the week or so. Didn't appear! so last week i phoned to check and was told he was on holiday and to try again on monday (today) Did that! only to find out that his secretary had definately posted them ages ago except on further enquiry it transpired she had actually posted them to NZ. no idea where she got the address, (appears incomplete into the bargain!) certainly not on the medical form and we had clearly explained that it was to come back to us!!

In fairness he did try to phone London and came back to me to say that the best advice would be to redo everything!!
I sooooo don't have time for this. we leave on Friday and this GP is about 40 miles away!!

We thought we were so organised and have even booked a flight to London to submit our application on the Thursday after we come back!!

Anyone have any flashes of inspiration i will be very willing to listen! At the minute my stress levels are so high i don't think i will sleep all this week never mind on the blessed plane!!
Old Mar 31st 2003, 11:33 am
BE Enthusiast

Sindy is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi shirley,

Deepest sympathies on what must be a living nightmare :scared:

I find the actions of the secretary peculiar in the extreme. Why did she post them off to NZ?. The medical form is strewn with references to Australia (heading, small print etc) and once complete and sealed the form should have displayed the name of the processing office dealing with your case. What is going on?

I think it unlikely that the secretary in question could have produced an address just from the top of her head. Perhaps it would be worth it to try and locate the address she used and see if the forms can be found and sent on.

If you are reading this and saying "But I have done that already!" then apologies. It's just the thought of having to do those medicals again made me think that any advice might help.

One final point, the page containing the destination address also displays your name and address, so maybe, just maybe, some kind hearted soul will post it back to you.

Best of luck

Sindy
Old Mar 31st 2003, 11:50 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by Sindy
Hi shirley,

Deepest sympathies on what must be a living nightmare :scared:

I find the actions of the secretary peculiar in the extreme. Why did she post them off to NZ?. The medical form is strewn with references to Australia (heading, small print etc) and once complete and sealed the form should have displayed the name of the processing office dealing with your case. What is going on?

I think it unlikely that the secretary in question could have produced an address just from the top of her head. Perhaps it would be worth it to try and locate the address she used and see if the forms can be found and sent on.

If you are reading this and saying "But I have done that already!" then apologies. It's just the thought of having to do those medicals again made me think that any advice might help.

One final point, the page containing the destination address also displays your name and address, so maybe, just maybe, some kind hearted soul will post it back to you.

Best of luck

Sindy
hi sindy,
our destination is nz, but we are supposed to submit the medicals with the application for residence so there was no actual address on the form except my home address! also i got the impression from the gp that the adress that she had put on it was not sufficient to take it anywhere therefore best to cut our losses and do them again!!

thanks for the sympathy though - to be honest i felt a lot better just getting it all of my chest there, although my mother in law is just off the phone to say that it was on the lunch time news that there is a new outbreak of the sars virus in singapore and tourists are being discouraged from going there at all!! of course our stop over on friday night is in singapore!! i'm not having the best of days today!! these things are sent to try us i suppose!! here's hoping that's my lot for today!!

thanks again anyway
Old Mar 31st 2003, 12:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

karawara88 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello Shirley,

Can't be of much help.

But deep breaths, calm down, then kill somthing. !!!!

And remember - if it can go wrong, it will go wrong.

But soon you will be sat on a beach in NZ an it will all be a distant memory.

Chris
Old Mar 31st 2003, 12:25 pm
too busy to work members

yafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really nice

Go in person to the local SORTING OFFICE for the post NEAREST to the doctors place. Cry on their shoulder explaining everything and you may find that it is still in their office trying to find somewhere to send it?
Old Mar 31st 2003, 3:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

Roger is a jewel in the roughRoger is a jewel in the roughRoger is a jewel in the roughRoger is a jewel in the rough

Commiserations Shirley. Pretty typical though when you're trying to put together a complicated visa application.

Roger

P.S. Take some cassettes to play in the car for the kids. The radio reception is very poor on the move with the hills. Are you going to take your mobile and buy a vodaphone sim card ($35) - phoning home is as cheap as local!
Old Apr 1st 2003, 7:40 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by Roger
Commiserations Shirley. Pretty typical though when you're trying to put together a complicated visa application.

Roger

P.S. Take some cassettes to play in the car for the kids. The radio reception is very poor on the move with the hills. Are you going to take your mobile and buy a vodaphone sim card ($35) - phoning home is as cheap as local!

Thanks for the sympathy all, and the travel tips Roger!!

just as we were going to bed last night hubby rememberd that the GP had also got the x-ray form and reports from the radiologist so they would be somewhere between here and nz too - got those done at a separate private clinic - means more running around if that needs redone. so, in desperation we tried to phone NZIS wellington direct, and were very pleasantly surprised (no they hadn't got them) but the first girl was able to identify that the address that had been used was for their head office and put me through to a very friendly Bob the mailman!! he was really lovely and very patiently took all the detail and my telephone number, email address etc. and promised to let me know if anything turned up!! also had a further email from someone else this morning at NZIS wanting more detail to see if they could sort it out. we were really surprised since it is not their fault at all, and they seemed really obliging!!

we're going to leave it another day or two to see if they do arrive and i am also trying to get through to royal mail to see if they can track the letter as it was sent by recorded delivery. not so much joy there it has to be said!!!

it's going to be a mad rush if it has to be all redone but it's not the worst that could have happened i suppose!! see, i have calmed down chris, and i haven't even killed anything......yet!!

thanks again
Old Apr 1st 2003, 8:04 am
BE Forum Addict

karawara88 is an unknown quantity at this point

Not killed anything yet. !!

Thats before you try and get any joy from Royal Mail.

Had a doings with them a couple of times. Only yesterday I went to sorting office to ask why so much of my post is going missing, and being delivered to wrong address.

Answer, what do you want us to do about it.? !!!!

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

3 months to go and counting.
Old Apr 3rd 2003, 5:28 am
BE Enthusiast

just a quick update - had the medicals redone yesterday - GP so aplogetic i almost forgave him!!
did manage to track them down by the way with the reference number for the recorded delivery all the way to someone receiving them at wellington (date and time included). turned out that person, was friendly 'Bob the mailman' who when i spoke to him again the next night denied all knowledge of ever seeing them. says it's quite likely that the courier man signed it himself if he wasn't in the sorting office - happens all the time apparently!!

just makes us determined that when we submit the application we will take it there in person!!

anyway they're redone now and waiting for the x-rays to be reported on again today! now all i have to worry about is the SARS virus on the plane and when we stop in Singapore airport tomorrow night. honestly i feel so stressed before this holiday that i dread to think what i would be like if we were going for good!!

still very excited too though - promise to report back when we get home - that's assuming we're not held in quaranteen (?spelling) somewhere!!
Old Apr 3rd 2003, 5:39 am
Ex Mod (2002-2005)

ptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by jajpe
still very excited too though - promise to report back when we get home - that's assuming we're not held in quaranteen (?spelling) somewhere!!

It's quarantine - I couldn't spell it so quickly before this SARS business though :P

You should not be held in quarantine in Singapore. NZ might have something to say about that, and so might the UK, but Singapore won't do much to you.

Regards
Peter