Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Help getting Primary Teaching Jobs in Sydney

Help getting Primary Teaching Jobs in Sydney

Old Jan 4th 2010, 4:06 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help getting Primary Teaching Jobs in Sydney

Originally Posted by TheLark

Of all the people who have responded how many of you have been to Oz on a WHV? I asked for people who were in similar situations to respond but it seems the people that have given opinions have all applied for perm res visas so totally diff situation and obviously biased towards anyone on a WHV.

Horse thanks for the backup.
Just a thought to bear in mind - the majority of WHV holders will visit Aus and then go home. Although some will later apply to emigrate, the vast majority don't, therefore they don't frequent forums like this, which are aimed more at long-term temporary visas, or permanent migration.
I think there are other forums - maybe Lonely Planet/Gumtree? - which are aimed more at the backpacker/WHV market, so you might find people on there in your position.
Old Jan 4th 2010, 4:57 am
BE Enthusiast

Rosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to behold

All the teachers I know here (Sydney) who came from the UK/Ireland and work in public schools had to do some kind of re-training here to be eligible to teach. I'm also pretty sure there is some kind of strange system in the public school sector whereby people looking for permanent jobs (very hard to come by) join a list and schools have to take the person at the top of the list - they cannot recruit direct - but there is plenty of supply work. With that in mind I don't think a NSW public school would be able to sponsor anyone for a 457 - it's not like there aren't enough Australians/people with PR visas to do the job. Obviously that doesn't apply to the Catholic system or private schools, but I would still have thought that it is one of the professions least likely to sponsor - how on earth can they argue that they can't find anyone else to do the job when there are so many unemployed teachers?

You also need to be aware that Australians are often a lot less impressed by overseas experience than you may be led to believe when at home. Yes, they love the Irish (and I'm one!), but if they have to choose between an Irish person who needs sponsorship and has never taught in Australia and a local who knows the system and requires no paperwork you can't really blame them for not being interested. If on the other hand you manage to come in on a proper working visa, rather than one where you are only supposed to be working to fund your holiday, I would imagine that there would be plenty of work available, even if it is supply rather than permanent.
Old Jun 18th 2010, 5:22 am
Just Joined

TheLark has a brilliant futureTheLark has a brilliant futureTheLark has a brilliant futureTheLark has a brilliant futureTheLark has a brilliant futureTheLark has a brilliant future

Hi All,

Just a quick update to let you know that my OH got sponsored by a catholic primary school and we have just received a 4 year 457 visa.

Thanks to all those who offered advice and support. Look forward to hopefully being able to give advice to people in a similar situation on this site.
Old Jun 18th 2010, 6:23 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi All,

Just a quick update to let you know that my OH got sponsored by a catholic primary school and we have just received a 4 year 457 visa.

Thanks to all those who offered advice and support. Look forward to hopefully being able to give advice to people in a similar situation on this site.
Many congrats.
Old Jun 18th 2010, 7:30 am
Forum Regular

SRDL is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi All,

Good stuff I'm heading over after xmas on a WHV, (to Brisbane though) hoping for the same Although I'm secondary and don't mind doing supply for as long as it takes. Is that what your OH ended up doing? Best of luck
Old Jun 18th 2010, 12:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

man_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to behold

Hi All,

Thats great news, see I told you to hang in and not let the begrudger's get you down.

For all you Teachers out there WHV Rock!!
Old Jun 18th 2010, 4:25 pm
Just Joined

joandeliot is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi All,

So glad to hear your good news! Missed this thread the first time or I'd have contributed then as I am in the same situation- well almost. Have applied for 175 but we are going to Oz on a WHV to travel, see the country, and also hopefully find a job for sponsorship to reduce the wait for PR! I am a Primary Teacher too and I'm sure there is no chance of being sponsored without actually being interviewed (ie, without being in the country!). So even if it is more difficult to get a job than if you had PR or were Australian, its still got to be worth a try!! And your case is proof!!
Congratulations and good luck!!
Jo
Old Jun 18th 2010, 4:26 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by man_called_Horse
Thats great news, see I told you to hang in and not let the begrudger's get you down.

For all you Teachers out there WHV Rock!!
Yay! There is hope for us after all!!!

Jo
Old Jun 18th 2010, 9:24 pm
Forum Regular

SRDL is an unknown quantity at this point

[I]
Originally Posted by joandeliot
Yay! There is hope for us after all!!!

Jo
Yep, forget the cynics I say - What part of Eire you from Lark? I'm from Waterford - hoping the Irish charm swayed it for her in the end
Old Jun 20th 2010, 2:53 am
Just Joined

TheLark has a brilliant futureTheLark has a brilliant futureTheLark has a brilliant futureTheLark has a brilliant futureTheLark has a brilliant futureTheLark has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by joandeliot
So glad to hear your good news! Missed this thread the first time or I'd have contributed then as I am in the same situation- well almost. Have applied for 175 but we are going to Oz on a WHV to travel, see the country, and also hopefully find a job for sponsorship to reduce the wait for PR! I am a Primary Teacher too and I'm sure there is no chance of being sponsored without actually being interviewed (ie, without being in the country!). So even if it is more difficult to get a job than if you had PR or were Australian, its still got to be worth a try!! And your case is proof!!
Congratulations and good luck!!
Jo
Yep its same situation as us but we hadnt appplied for PR visa before we left as my OH wasnt sure if she would like it out here. We travelled around Africa and then East coast of Oz before we settled in Sydney and started looking for jobs.

It was very hard initially for my OH as she had one really bad interview that ended up being an interrogation about the visa situation and knocked her confidence. She didnt think she would get a chance but then she got the interview with her current school which was supposed to be for one term and within a few weeks of starting they wanted her to stay full year and the rest is history.

Do as much research on schools as you can before you leave and if possible send speculative cv's and cover letters to try set up meetings with principals etc for when you know you will be finished travelling. Be upfront with them and tell them you have applied for PR but are also seeking sponsorship as its a quicker process.

I will ask my OH what wesbites she recommends and will post these up here or put them in an email for you. If you can, do all your registration with the teaching bodies before you arrive as that will save you time.
Old Jun 20th 2010, 3:00 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by SRDL
[I]

Yep, forget the cynics I say - What part of Eire you from Lark? I'm from Waterford - hoping the Irish charm swayed it for her in the end
We are both from Wexford, so we are neighbours!!! The school were looking for cover for 1 term and that how it started, when they asked her to stay full year she explained she needed to be sponsored and they said no problem.

Secondary teachers are more sought after over here so you should get work no problem.

Good luck in Brisbane its a great place.
Old Jun 20th 2010, 7:36 am
Just Joined

Yep its same situation as us but we hadnt appplied for PR visa before we left as my OH wasnt sure if she would like it out here. We travelled around Africa and then East coast of Oz before we settled in Sydney and started looking for jobs.

It was very hard initially for my OH as she had one really bad interview that ended up being an interrogation about the visa situation and knocked her confidence. She didnt think she would get a chance but then she got the interview with her current school which was supposed to be for one term and within a few weeks of starting they wanted her to stay full year and the rest is history.

Do as much research on schools as you can before you leave and if possible send speculative cv's and cover letters to try set up meetings with principals etc for when you know you will be finished travelling. Be upfront with them and tell them you have applied for PR but are also seeking sponsorship as its a quicker process.

I will ask my OH what wesbites she recommends and will post these up here or put them in an email for you. If you can, do all your registration with the teaching bodies before you arrive as that will save you time.
Thats really great to hear. I would imagine that in schools that would be the best way to get sponsored- to go in short term and let them see what you can do!
I looked into applying to the states but at the moment we have no idea where we will settle so I will put off applying until we decide where we want to be. I am aware that it takes a long time and you cannot apply for jobs until you are registered but any help or tips from your wife would be hugely appreciated!
We plan to travel for the first year and do harvesting and odd jobs then start looking for 'proper' jobs in the 2nd year. Hopefully we wil follow in your footsteps! Thanks!
Jo