Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Help getting Primary Teaching Jobs in Sydney

Help getting Primary Teaching Jobs in Sydney

Old Jan 2nd 2010, 1:52 am
Just Joined

TheLark has a brilliant futureTheLark has a brilliant futureTheLark has a brilliant futureTheLark has a brilliant futureTheLark has a brilliant futureTheLark has a brilliant future
Default Help getting Primary Teaching Jobs in Sydney

Hi All,

My OH is a qualified primary teacher from the Rep. of Ireland and we are over on the WHV.

She is finding it hard to even get interviews for jobs that she has applied for. I am thinking its because of the Visa we are on.

I am trying to get her to change tack and get her to contact schools and tell them we are on a whv but she would like to be sponsored and explain that she can work for them on a temp basis, kind of try before you buy.

She is registered with the Catholic Eduction Office in Sydney and is just waiting on one from to be completed to register with the NSW Public Schools.

Has anyone been in this position before or can someone offer advice on the best route to go down to get a) teaching job and b) sponsored.

We are going to apply for the gen skilled visa if we cant get sponsored but it would be great if we didnt have to leave the country in order to get a Visa.

Any advice and tips would be greatly appreciated.

Mods if this is in the wrong place, please move.
Old Jan 2nd 2010, 6:07 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help getting Primary Teaching Jobs in Sydney

Originally Posted by TheLark
Hi All,

My OH is a qualified primary teacher from the Rep. of Ireland and we are over on the WHV.

She is finding it hard to even get interviews for jobs that she has applied for. I am thinking its because of the Visa we are on.

I am trying to get her to change tack and get her to contact schools and tell them we are on a whv but she would like to be sponsored and explain that she can work for them on a temp basis, kind of try before you buy.

She is registered with the Catholic Eduction Office in Sydney and is just waiting on one from to be completed to register with the NSW Public Schools.

Has anyone been in this position before or can someone offer advice on the best route to go down to get a) teaching job and b) sponsored.

We are going to apply for the gen skilled visa if we cant get sponsored but it would be great if we didnt have to leave the country in order to get a Visa.

Any advice and tips would be greatly appreciated.

Mods if this is in the wrong place, please move.
Since it's school holidays it's unlikely that she would be finding jobs teaching at this point in time anyway. Also, on a working holiday visa schools are unlikely to want to employ her.

Is she registered to teach with the relevant board in NSW, not just with the Sydney education offices? She needs to be registered with NSW education department I would think in order to teach, which would include police clearances, medical clearances, etc.
Old Jan 2nd 2010, 7:29 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

I wouldn't give her a teaching job on a WHV. First off she can only work there for six months at the most and she's qualified in Ireland not Aus and has no Australian experience and presumably no Australian licences or registration. WHV are generally meant for kids to come out for a year and have fun travelling around the country fruit picking, jackarooing etc. It's not meant as a lead in to a PR visa.
Old Jan 2nd 2010, 7:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Hi All,

Of course it is because of the visa you are on. I agree with above post, I would not even consider her for a teaching role. I would not consider anyone on a WHV for any professional position. If you wanted to come over pemanently and have a profession, the WHV is not the way to do it. A change in tack definiltey required IMHO.
Old Jan 2nd 2010, 8:27 am
Living in the mountains

earlybird is a name known to allearlybird is a name known to allearlybird is a name known to allearlybird is a name known to allearlybird is a name known to allearlybird is a name known to allearlybird is a name known to allearlybird is a name known to allearlybird is a name known to allearlybird is a name known to allearlybird is a name known to all

Have a look at this site. It is the NSW Department of Education and Training information for OS teachers.
https://www.det.nsw.edu.au/employmen...w/overseas.htm
Old Jan 2nd 2010, 9:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Probably the visa she is on but also every man and his dog wants a teaching position in Sydney and it isnt as if there is a shortage of locally trained and experienced people. NSW has a placement policy for its teachers - unless the govt got its proposed changes passed recently - whereby you get placed, usually in some out of the way place and earn points towards being appointed in one of the plum positions that everyone wants in nice suburban Sydney.

WHVs are for getting around the place and for casual work not career building as the others have said.
Old Jan 2nd 2010, 9:11 am
BE Forum Addict

Gibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond repute

The Sydney offices are the offices of NSW DET. As everyone else has said you will have buckleys chance of work in Sydney even as a casual. Schools have lists of preferred people they call. You might stand a chance in the outer western suburbs where no one wants to go - even on a casual basis.
Old Jan 2nd 2010, 1:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

man_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
Of course it is because of the visa you are on. I agree with above post, I would not even consider her for a teaching role. I would not consider anyone on a WHV for any professional position. If you wanted to come over pemanently and have a profession, the WHV is not the way to do it. A change in tack definiltey required IMHO.

I know someone who did get sponsored from a WHV as a Private High School teacher... she was working as a sub covering for someone who was ill...after 2 months the permanent postion became available and she applied for it providing they sponsored.

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
I would not consider anyone on a WHV for any professional position. If you wanted to come over pemanently and have a profession, the WHV is not the way to do it.
Why not.....???

I am a professional Engineer and came through WHV> 457 > 175 route easy enough .... I interviewed a man from Germany last month who is on a WHV and who we are going to sponsor him... he is looking at the same route as myself.

If you got the minerals..... go for it.
Old Jan 2nd 2010, 3:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by man_called_Horse

Why not.....???

I am a professional Engineer and came through WHV> 457 > 175 route easy enough .... I interviewed a man from Germany last month who is on a WHV and who we are going to sponsor him... he is looking at the same route as myself.
Why not? Well if I were recruiting for a professional position, I would be thinking about the long term and the stability within my team. I would be put off by somebody on a WHV because they might not have commitment or be serious about the role. I would assume that they were just looking to save up a bit of cash for the next adventure ... after all that is what the WHV is intended for.

This is just what I think, I am not saying everybody would think this way. But I reckon a fair few would, particularly in the economic downturn when there is a surplus of possible candidates and that probably goes a long way to explaining what the OP has found.
Old Jan 2nd 2010, 11:42 pm
Just Joined

TheLark has a brilliant futureTheLark has a brilliant futureTheLark has a brilliant futureTheLark has a brilliant futureTheLark has a brilliant futureTheLark has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by man_called_Horse
I know someone who did get sponsored from a WHV as a Private High School teacher... she was working as a sub covering for someone who was ill...after 2 months the permanent postion became available and she applied for it providing they sponsored.

Why not.....???

If you got the minerals..... go for it.
I agree with Horse. I have a strong chance of getting sponsored myself for a role that I was interviewed for, they told me it didnt matter what nationality I was or Visa I was on (they sponsor 2 people currently). My experience level and education is what they were most interested in. I didnt bring up sponsorship in the interview, the company did. Now waiting for 2nd interview with company MD in mid Jan when everyone is back from hols.

I have heard of plenty of people who got sponsored while on a WHV (my cousin included) so I dont entirely agree with your opinions. As I said we will apply for the gen skilled visa if needs be but if we get sponsored while we are out here its a bonus. Under no illusions how difficult it can be to get a job while on a whv, but if you dont try you dont know.

Of all the people who have responded how many of you have been to Oz on a WHV? I asked for people who were in similar situations to respond but it seems the people that have given opinions have all applied for perm res visas so totally diff situation and obviously biased towards anyone on a WHV.

Horse thanks for the backup.
Old Jan 3rd 2010, 1:01 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

I think the difference may be that government schools are overwhelmed with applicants for their positions and have no need to sponsor anyone unless it be to fill vacancies in places where Aussie teachers wont go. So unless they have an ongoing merit based application process for sponsorship then I doubt they would bend the rules for a one off. I guess private schools have the option to sponsor if they want to but they, too, are generally well able to fill vacancies from within the pool of permanent residents.

So it is probably the field of employment which makes the difference as well.
Old Jan 3rd 2010, 1:18 am
BE Forum Addict

Gems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with Quoll teaching jobs are not as easy to come by now. Even WA has stopped its rural sponsorship programme.

Also city teaching positions are well known for being difficult to obtain. As all the Aussies want them. So your likely to find it hard no matter what visa your on because you want to work in Sydney.

Gems
Old Jan 3rd 2010, 3:57 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

I asked for people who were in similar situations to respond but it seems the people that have given opinions have all applied for perm res visas so totally diff situation and obviously biased towards anyone on a WHV.

Horse thanks for the backup.
See, the thing with an open internet forum is that you don't get to choose who replies to your questions. Sorry if what people are telling is not what you want to hear, but it is unfortunately the reality of teaching in Australia - particularly in Sydney. Now, if you were to be in someplace like Fitzroy Crossing you might have a better chance of your partner finding work as a teacher. Not so many people want to teach in remote places like that.
Old Jan 3rd 2010, 9:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I have heard of plenty of people who got sponsored while on a WHV (my cousin included) so I dont entirely agree with your opinions. As I said we will apply for the gen skilled visa if needs be but if we get sponsored while we are out here its a bonus. Under no illusions how difficult it can be to get a job while on a whv, but if you dont try you dont know.

Of all the people who have responded how many of you have been to Oz on a WHV? I asked for people who were in similar situations to respond but it seems the people that have given opinions have all applied for perm res visas so totally diff situation and obviously biased towards anyone on a WHV.
How can you not agree with my opinion as to whether I would take an application from a WHV holder seriously? I have done a great deal of recruiting and such a CV would go in the bin. End of.

And a WHV IS designed for young people to backpack around and earn a bit of money as they go whether you chose to do soemthing different with it or not.

So there really is no point throwing your toys out of the pram at us because of the situation you find yourselves in. And as Dorothy says, if you want to post on an internet forum you may get answers you don't like and from people you didn't expect to answer. I find it incredibly rude and childish to tell us we were not supposed to answer this thread. If you want to ask private opinions then go and ask friends on a WHV by PM.
Old Jan 4th 2010, 3:48 am
BE Enthusiast

man_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to behold

Doesn't really matter what peoples opinion are... Especially those of people who don't actually live in Australia, bottom line is there are a lot of people who have Progressed from a WHV to Sponsored Temporary to PR and thats a fact..... its a pretty useful route at the moment.

Anyone who is on a WHV could easily be sponsored for a 457 for less than $800 and without much of a hassle providing that the applicant has skills that would be difficult to find in the local workforce. Some employers make the mistake that sponsoring someone is a very difficult process but if they take 10 minutes and phone a good migration agent and get the facts there would be no need to bin someones CV just because they are on a WHV. The fact that they are lawfully present in Australia for interviews and lawfully able to work for 6 months is a huge benefit.....

No need to go out to the sticks..... Sydney has a growing population and there are plenty of Schools, its probably the case of a famine of feast.... once you actually get a job there will be dozens of employers pulling the shirt of your back to come to work for them....

TheLark OH should try Private Catholic PS schools rather than public and also having a skill such as Knowledge of music and playing Piano etc is very useful... hang in there... or as he said try to get sponsorship himself. Hope it works out for you.

Last edited by man_called_Horse; Jan 4th 2010 at 3:52 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.