Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Help with forms to import a vehicle

Help with forms to import a vehicle

Old Jul 19th 2006, 4:52 am
BE Enthusiast

woody1cruiser has a brilliant futurewoody1cruiser has a brilliant futurewoody1cruiser has a brilliant futurewoody1cruiser has a brilliant futurewoody1cruiser has a brilliant futurewoody1cruiser has a brilliant futurewoody1cruiser has a brilliant futurewoody1cruiser has a brilliant future
Default Help with forms to import a vehicle

Hi

I am going to have my car shipped to Australia but having a few problems with the 'Approval to Import a Vehicle form'

I am coming out on a 457 and applying for PR when we get there. The information (page 9) says I am eligible but having problems with number 8 on the application form.

Date of arrival in overseas country where vehicle was first registered. I was born in the UK.

Date you are returning to Australia - what do I put here?

This is a last minute decision and shippers are arriving tomorrow for my furniture. We fly on 29th July so now panicking.

Debs
Old Jul 19th 2006, 5:07 am
BE Forum Addict

ianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help with forms to import a vehicle

Originally Posted by woody1cruiser
Hi

I am going to have my car shipped to Australia but having a few problems with the 'Approval to Import a Vehicle form'

I am coming out on a 457 and applying for PR when we get there. The information (page 9) says I am eligible but having problems with number 8 on the application form.

Date of arrival in overseas country where vehicle was first registered. I was born in the UK.

Date you are returning to Australia - what do I put here?

This is a last minute decision and shippers are arriving tomorrow for my furniture. We fly on 29th July so now panicking.

Debs
sorry i can't help with your problem but on page 11 of the brochure there is a phone number and an email address to contact-have you tried these?
Old Jul 19th 2006, 5:09 am
BE Enthusiast

woody1cruiser has a brilliant futurewoody1cruiser has a brilliant futurewoody1cruiser has a brilliant futurewoody1cruiser has a brilliant futurewoody1cruiser has a brilliant futurewoody1cruiser has a brilliant futurewoody1cruiser has a brilliant futurewoody1cruiser has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by ianandhelena
sorry i can't help with your problem but on page 11 of the brochure there is a phone number and an email address to contact-have you tried these?
Yes just tried that but he didn't understand what I was trying to ask. Said I could only import if PR but the information pack definitely states 457 visa holdes are eligible. I am totally confused.

Debs
Old Jul 19th 2006, 5:48 am
BE Forum Addict

ianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond repute

Yes just tried that but he didn't understand what I was trying to ask. Said I could only import if PR but the information pack definitely states 457 visa holdes are eligible. I am totally confused.

Debs
how about phoning customs in whatever state you're headed for-contact details are at the end of the brochure?
Old Jul 19th 2006, 6:21 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ianandhelena
how about phoning customs in whatever state you're headed for-contact details are at the end of the brochure?
Thanks for that. Just phoned them and the form is now completed. Good news is I only have to pay 5% customs duty as it is a 4x4 and not the 10% quoted but the shipper.

The only problem I have now is the evidence I have to provide. There is a long list and most I can't get until we arrive.

Debs
Old Jul 19th 2006, 8:19 am
Melbourne Australia

thebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for that. Just phoned them and the form is now completed. Good news is I only have to pay 5% customs duty as it is a 4x4 and not the 10% quoted but the shipper.

The only problem I have now is the evidence I have to provide. There is a long list and most I can't get until we arrive.

Debs
Are you sure Debs? There is no distinguishment on the Customs website between 4x4 and normal cars. Have you got the Approval before you ship? Friends from Hong Kong got this wrong and they sent the container back so they paid (or the company paid) for a 3 leg trip.
Old Jul 19th 2006, 8:39 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by thebears
Are you sure Debs? There is no distinguishment on the Customs website between 4x4 and normal cars. Have you got the Approval before you ship? Friends from Hong Kong got this wrong and they sent the container back so they paid (or the company paid) for a 3 leg trip.
Yes, I have just spoken to customs in WA and they confirmed it. It is also stated on Karman's website that 4x4's have to pay 10% GST but only 5% customs tax.

Looks like I am going to have to get to Oz, get a place to live and then ship the car over.

Debs