Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Help with flights please.

Help with flights please.

Old Apr 13th 2007, 8:54 pm
Lisa

LisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to all
Default Help with flights please.

Hi all
As some of you may have seen my Mum has booked her flight out to Oz to spend Christmas with us even though we aren't there yet. My question is this, who shall we book our flights with? I would like to fly with Malaysia airlines again as I thought they were fab but this time I would love to stop over for a few days. Any help with hotels or places to stay in KL. I have looked on a few web sites but not been able to see any stop over flight prices, will I have to call travel agent?
We are thinking of going mid August.
Anyone gone at this time of year and how have kids settled in to schools mid year.
Lots of questions all in one thread, sorry to bombard everyone.
Thanks.
Old Apr 13th 2007, 9:21 pm
Forum Regular

cra1gm is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Help with flights please.

book direct with them you can price up a stop online. I have found booking direct for our July flights back out here are cheaper direct with both malaysian and signapore
Old Apr 13th 2007, 9:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

nessyp is on a distinguished road

Been to both KL and singapore if you havnt been to singapore before my preferance would be for there, I liked KL but prefer singapore.
Old Apr 14th 2007, 3:18 am
BE Enthusiast

galba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by nessyp
Been to both KL and singapore if you havnt been to singapore before my preferance would be for there, I liked KL but prefer singapore.
Malaysia Airlines have a stopover booklet that you can choose hotels from which include a free side trip (by air), breakfast and transfers - say to Penang, Langkawi or Kuantan. Look at the website:

http://hq.malaysiaairlines.com/mh/en...a_stopover.asp

If you need any further info about KL let me know as I live there!

Galba
Old Apr 14th 2007, 3:24 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute

I recommend www.travelmood.com - consistently beat airline prices and have always sorted me out favourably if there's been any problems.

Buzzy
Old Apr 14th 2007, 3:25 am
BE Forum Addict

ali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by LisaD_uk
Hi all
As some of you may have seen my Mum has booked her flight out to Oz to spend Christmas with us even though we aren't there yet. My question is this, who shall we book our flights with? I would like to fly with Malaysia airlines again as I thought they were fab but this time I would love to stop over for a few days. Any help with hotels or places to stay in KL. I have looked on a few web sites but not been able to see any stop over flight prices, will I have to call travel agent?
Anyone gone at this time of year and how have kids settled in to schools mid year.
Thanks.
Hi
re schools, we moved in Nov, terrible time as schools were clsoing soon and my kids are seniors, Auguss sounds good. My kids were bored and lonely until 29.01 when school reopened
good luck
Tara
Old Apr 14th 2007, 3:42 am
Hillarys, Perth

h2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all
Thanks.
Think about where the flight will leave from.....
Living in Nottingham, it might be a long trip to Heathrow at peak hour traffic etc.
We always fly Emirates as they fly from Birmingham (closer to our home town) and we have rellies here from Leeds at the moment who flew Emirates from Manchester.

Neil.
Old Apr 14th 2007, 4:37 am
BE Enthusiast

galba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by h2oskineil
Think about where the flight will leave from.....
Living in Nottingham, it might be a long trip to Heathrow at peak hour traffic etc.
We always fly Emirates as they fly from Birmingham (closer to our home town) and we have rellies here from Leeds at the moment who flew Emirates from Manchester.

Neil.
We normally book our flights with klm so that we can fly from a regional airport (Aberdeen - Amsterdam - KL) but opt for the Malaysia Airlines long-haul flights. If you use the klm.co.uk website you can spot the code share flights (KL4102 and KL4103). Amsterdam airport is great - no need to transfer between terminals and the facilities for children are very good.

We used to fly down to Heathrow but with the baggage change (having to pick up your luggage and re-check in) and with 4 small children it was a complete nightmare!

Singapore Airlines are also excellent if you have children.

Best of luck

Galba
Old Apr 14th 2007, 4:50 am
Karoola!!!!!!

GaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to all

Just a little tip for all you people who are flying just to validate your visa. Get a reward card for whichever airline you choose.
I have stopped with same airling and by doing this have ended up with enough miles for a night in a hotel on my way out and a upgrade on one of the legs. I allways stick with Emirates. They have been really good.
Another little tip if you are flying without kids or well behaved kids maybe consider going into a airport lounge before fligh. Cost is usually around £17:50 each, and you get free drinks and snack depending on the lounge. But they are a lot more relaxing and £17-50 if you are there 3 hours before won't buy you much at the airport.
Good look everyone,
Gary and Vikky
Old Apr 14th 2007, 7:52 am
Account Closed

louise is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all
Thanks.
Sorry I can't help, but esperanza has just flown malaysia via KL it may be worth asking her once she arrives, think she is doing 2nd leg today, she posted a thread "We're off" in the Barbie.

Sorry I don't know how to attach the link
Old Apr 14th 2007, 8:01 am

Vanessa is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all
Thanks.
I have stayed at the Mandarin Oriental in KL which is a fabulous hotel. This time I am staying at the Shangri-la - I believe that Malaysian let you stop over at no extra charge. We booked our flights and accommodation with Trailfinder but you could try someone like expedia.com.au but they are coming in a lot more than what we paid. We got 2 nights at the Shangri-la for $280 for two (bargain)
Old Apr 14th 2007, 8:54 am
BE Enthusiast

sambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of light

Hi all
I would like to fly with Malaysia airlines again as I thought they were fab but this time I would love to stop over for a few days. Any help with hotels or places to stay in KL. :
We have just finished searching for the same thing, stopping in either Malaysia or Thailand for a couple of weeks. Trailfinders offered us the cheapest package on both routes, cheaper than even going direct to the Airlines. We will probably go with Qantas via Bangkok as we love it there, but Air Malaysia are a much better airline, loads more legspace etc.
Hope this helps.
Sam & Est
Old Apr 14th 2007, 7:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

mum01753 is a name known to allmum01753 is a name known to allmum01753 is a name known to allmum01753 is a name known to allmum01753 is a name known to allmum01753 is a name known to allmum01753 is a name known to allmum01753 is a name known to allmum01753 is a name known to allmum01753 is a name known to allmum01753 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by GaryVFR8
Just a little tip for all you people who are flying just to validate your visa. Get a reward card for whichever airline you choose.
I have stopped with same airling and by doing this have ended up with enough miles for a night in a hotel on my way out and a upgrade on one of the legs. I allways stick with Emirates. They have been really good.
Another little tip if you are flying without kids or well behaved kids maybe consider going into a airport lounge before fligh. Cost is usually around £17:50 each, and you get free drinks and snack depending on the lounge. But they are a lot more relaxing and £17-50 if you are there 3 hours before won't buy you much at the airport.
Good look everyone,
Gary and Vikky
Hi you mention upgrading with emirates could you please let me know how many skywards it took for the upgrade, we are looking to travel one way hopefully in feb 08 and already have 33000 skywards would really like to upgrade but there is no info on the amount it would take and do not want to actually book yet.

many thanks for any help given.
Old Apr 15th 2007, 8:39 pm
Lisa

LisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to all

Thank-you to all that have replied. I will have a good look at all the links and reccomended web sites.
Thanks again everyone.