Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Help with flight times needed please

Help with flight times needed please

Old May 22nd 2006, 1:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

sparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Help with flight times needed please

Ok, I am having a nightmare trying to get my head around the time difference and trying to work out how long in total flights from London to Brisbane will take me. Can anyone please help!!

First flight -
It leaves London on 20 Sep at 14.55pm
It arrives in Brisbane on 22 Sep at 11.00am local time

2nd flight
Leaves London on 21 Sep at 21.35pm
Arrives Brisbane on 23 Sep at 08.50am

How long would I be travelling for in total on each flight!?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by sparkley23; May 22nd 2006 at 1:21 pm.
Old May 22nd 2006, 1:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help with flight times needed please

Originally Posted by sparkley23
Ok, I am having a nightmare trying to get my head around the time difference and trying to work out how long in total flights from London to Brisbane will take me. Can anyone please help!!

First flight -

2nd flight

Thanks in advance!

Oh, I've no idea

I can tell you that it's 22 hrs from Heathrow to Brisbane via Singapore with a 1 and half hour stop over.
Old May 22nd 2006, 1:32 pm
I'm now an Aussie too!!!

shiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond repute

First flight -

2nd flight

Thanks in advance!

Are you having a stop over? we are as follows;
Our flights are Heathrow 2200hrs to Kuala Lumpur 1725hrs following day but flight actually last 12 1/2 hrs. Kuala Lumpa 0940hrs to Brisbane 1925hrs flight lasts 7 3/4 hrs.
Hope thats helped?
C X
Old May 22nd 2006, 1:43 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

First flight -

2nd flight

Thanks in advance!
Ok, lets see if the beer helps or hinders my maths! The way to do it is to convert it all to UTC/GMT - that is, normal winter time in the UK.

1st flight - leave LHR 20/9 at 14.55 BST = 20/9 13.55 GMT
arrive BNE 22/9 11am Qld time (thats GMT + 10) = 22/9 1.00 GMT

total time = 10 hours on 20/9, 24 hours on 21/9, and 1 hour on 22/9 = 35 hours. I would guess there is a transit stop in the middle, though with that long a gap (normal flying time 24hours in the air) you might be going Emirates, with 2 stops??

2nd flight -
leave LHR 21/9 21.35 BST = 21/9 20.35 GMT
Arrive BNE 23/9 8.50 Qld time = GMT + 10 = 22/9 22.50 GMT
Total time - 26 hrs 15 mins (sounds more like Qantas?!) - short refuel stop somewhere like Singapore.

Hope that helps - the way to do it always is convert everything to GMT, then you are working in a standard time zone.

(I apologise for any errors, its 23.45 Qld time!!)
Old May 22nd 2006, 1:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

sparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Ok, lets see if the beer helps or hinders my maths! The way to do it is to convert it all to UTC/GMT - that is, normal winter time in the UK.

1st flight - leave LHR 20/9 at 14.55 BST = 20/9 13.55 GMT
arrive BNE 22/9 11am Qld time (thats GMT + 10) = 22/9 1.00 GMT

total time = 10 hours on 20/9, 24 hours on 21/9, and 1 hour on 22/9 = 35 hours. I would guess there is a transit stop in the middle, though with that long a gap (normal flying time 24hours in the air) you might be going Emirates, with 2 stops??

2nd flight -
leave LHR 21/9 21.35 BST = 21/9 20.35 GMT
Arrive BNE 23/9 8.50 Qld time = GMT + 10 = 22/9 22.50 GMT
Total time - 26 hrs 15 mins (sounds more like Qantas?!) - short refuel stop somewhere like Singapore.

Hope that helps - the way to do it always is convert everything to GMT, then you are working in a standard time zone.

(I apologise for any errors, its 23.45 Qld time!!)
:scared: 35 hours!! Crikey, no wonder its so cheap!! First flight was with Virgin Atlantic/NZ with stop in LA and Auckland. I thought it might be worthwhile going that-a-way to get the extra luggage allowance (Had a look at what i can fit in my case for it to be 20kg last night and decided drastic action was needed!! The other flight was with EVA air. I'm now thinking I might go Malaysia which is only 22hours in total (but an extra £20) and ship the bags!! Thanks for helping me work it out, I'l remember that method for the other flights. Don't understand why a lot of the flight search engines don't work it out for you!
Old May 22nd 2006, 1:55 pm
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

:scared: 35 hours!! Crikey, no wonder its so cheap!! First flight was with Virgin Atlantic/NZ with stop in LA and Auckland. I thought it might be worthwhile going that-a-way to get the extra luggage allowance (Had a look at what i can fit in my case for it to be 20kg last night and decided drastic action was needed!! The other flight was with EVA air. I'm now thinking I might go Malaysia which is only 22hours in total (but an extra £20) and ship the bags!! Thanks for helping me work it out, I'l remember that method for the other flights. Don't understand why a lot of the flight search engines don't work it out for you!
Ah!!! 2 stops with Air NZ, also beware - you need to be eligible for the visa waiver to enter the USA, and you need to have machine readable passports, AND you need to reclaim your luggage, go through immigration and check in all over again. Lots of people like going that way - too much hassle for me!

Eva are as good as Malaysian I reckon from what I've heard, not much in the flight time.
I'd send the extra baggage over by sea, or air if you need it quickly, and avoid the hassle and the extra time.

There used to be a site that did the times ,but its now restricted to travel agents - may be another one somewhere, but in the meantime just remember to change it all to GMT and work from there. Easy if coming to Qld, no summer time so its always GMT + 10.
Old May 22nd 2006, 1:59 pm
The Brains

ray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to all

I thought if you contacted the airlines and could prove you were emigrating they would up the allowance to 40kgs of luggage!

Flight time is approx 24hrs plus any transit/stopover time

Gillian

Old May 22nd 2006, 2:06 pm
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by ray2gill
I thought if you contacted the airlines and could prove you were emigrating they would up the allowance to 40kgs of luggage!

Flight time is approx 24hrs plus any transit/stopover time

Gillian
Depends on the visa and the airline
Old May 22nd 2006, 2:10 pm
Forum Regular

woodring is just really nicewoodring is just really nicewoodring is just really nicewoodring is just really nicewoodring is just really nicewoodring is just really nicewoodring is just really nicewoodring is just really nicewoodring is just really nicewoodring is just really nice

I make it 35hr 5mins flight1
26hrs 5 mins flight 2
just convert Brisbane time to uk -9hrs and work out the elapsed time
Old May 22nd 2006, 2:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Depends on the visa and the airline
Yes- my problem (which is really not a problem at all and I am extremley lucky and grateful) is I am going out on an Australian passport rather than a visa as I have dual nationality. I am therefore not strictly emigrating (even tho I have lived in the UK all my life) so I get zero extra luggage allowance.

Didn't know that about the US - how do I know if I have a readable passport? I got my UK one in 2003 and my Aus one in 2002, assuming I can enter the US on either?). You have to do all that even if you dont actually leave the airport? They can't just put you bags all the way through to your final destination? very strange
Old May 22nd 2006, 2:28 pm
Home and Happy

Yes- my problem (which is really not a problem at all and I am extremley lucky and grateful) is I am going out on an Australian passport rather than a visa as I have dual nationality. I am therefore not strictly emigrating (even tho I have lived in the UK all my life) so I get zero extra luggage allowance.

Didn't know that about the US - how do I know if I have a readable passport? I got my UK one in 2003 and my Aus one in 2002, assuming I can enter the US on either?). You have to do all that even if you dont actually leave the airport? They can't just put you bags all the way through to your final destination? very strange
Most of them are machine readable now - the barcode strip on the biodata page. Its also a pain if your kids are in your passport - they have to have their own.
And yes, even if you just get off, queue up and get back on, you need a visa to enter the US (or the Visa Waiver thing) and you have to collect your bags and recheck them.
Some people have no hassles, others spend hours in queues and miss their onward flights.
Old May 22nd 2006, 2:38 pm
Forum Regular

ScottDavis has much to be proud ofScottDavis has much to be proud ofScottDavis has much to be proud ofScottDavis has much to be proud ofScottDavis has much to be proud ofScottDavis has much to be proud ofScottDavis has much to be proud ofScottDavis has much to be proud ofScottDavis has much to be proud ofScottDavis has much to be proud ofScottDavis has much to be proud of

I am in the same position, but I spoke to Singapore airlines today and explained I am still emigrating and asked nicely and they gave me an extra 10kg.
Old May 22nd 2006, 2:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ScottDavis
I am in the same position, but I spoke to Singapore airlines today and explained I am still emigrating and asked nicely and they gave me an extra 10kg.
Oooh that's good to know. Did you ask before you booked or after?

Anybody had any luck getting extra allowance with Malaysia?
Old May 22nd 2006, 2:52 pm
Forum Regular

ScottDavis has much to be proud ofScottDavis has much to be proud ofScottDavis has much to be proud ofScottDavis has much to be proud ofScottDavis has much to be proud ofScottDavis has much to be proud ofScottDavis has much to be proud ofScottDavis has much to be proud ofScottDavis has much to be proud ofScottDavis has much to be proud ofScottDavis has much to be proud of

Oooh that's good to know. Did you ask before you booked or after?

Anybody had any luck getting extra allowance with Malaysia?
After. I booked 2 weeks ago but thought today I would double check the allowances. Singapore would only let my wife take 30kg, but said they would let me take the same even though it is normally visa holders only. As I said in another post we're no better off than if I'd been allowed nothing and my wife allowed 40kg, but the lady on the phone said allowances were being reduced due to rising costs, so my wife would have only been allowed 30kg anyway.

I'd call and ask your airline.
Old May 22nd 2006, 2:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Luma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond repute

Are you not travelling on your wife's visa then? Do you have a Oz passport?

Originally Posted by ScottDavis
After. I booked 2 weeks ago but thought today I would double check the allowances. Singapore would only let my wife take 30kg, but said they would let me take the same even though it is normally visa holders only. As I said in another post we're no better off than if I'd been allowed nothing and my wife allowed 40kg, but the lady on the phone said allowances were being reduced due to rising costs, so my wife would have only been allowed 30kg anyway.

I'd call and ask your airline.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.