British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   help in finding a job (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/help-finding-job-625205/)

1jemma1 Aug 12th 2009 4:23 pm

help in finding a job

Hi,
We are currently looking for a job for my husband over in Brisbane and the Gold Coast area. He works within managment in the gas industry. Does anyone know of any good job websites for us to go on or have any advise on hows best to look for a job in Australia as we are struggling to find him one at the moment?

Many thanks

helloshivahere Aug 12th 2009 4:35 pm

Re: help in finding a job

Originally Posted by 1jemma1 (Post 7836569)
Hi,
We are currently looking for a job for my husband over in Brisbane and the Gold Coast area. He works within managment in the gas industry. Does anyone know of any good job websites for us to go on or have any advise on hows best to look for a job in Australia as we are struggling to find him one at the moment?

Many thanks

www.seek.com.au
www.careerone.com.au
www.hays.com.au
www.michaelpage.com.au
au.hudson.com
www.jobsearch.com.au
www.workplace.gov.au

Lot to go - Use google - U have list of atleast min 100. First 4 is most famous

chilliman Aug 12th 2009 6:56 pm

seek is a great one

After 6 interviews I have the last interview for a role in Melbourne next week :thumbup: found the job via seek!!

helloshivahere Aug 13th 2009 6:15 am

Originally Posted by chilliman (Post 7837078)
seek is a great one

After 6 interviews I have the last interview for a role in Melbourne next week :thumbup: found the job via seek!!

Congrats mate . BTW whats ur occupation?. I loved your reply gives a good hope

shafanm Aug 13th 2009 5:21 pm

Originally Posted by helloshivahere (Post 7838682)

The negative side is,most of them insist on having a PR or living is OZ as a prerequsit,

helloshivahere Aug 14th 2009 6:29 am

Originally Posted by shafanm (Post 7840482)
The negative side is,most of them insist on having a PR or living is OZ as a prerequsit,

Thanks mate .

BTW Is not a negative aspects I hope

U need valid permit to work so - PR necessary
Living in oz- its quite right as employer point of view

dhama Aug 14th 2009 1:57 pm

Hi Every one,
Is it possible to get a job before i move to oz.I have applied
for few jobs but hardly any response.. It looks like they want that we should physically present there. Any suggestions. Any way i am moving brisbane on 26th of this august. I am holding a PR and looking for IT jobs. dhama

Originally Posted by helloshivahere (Post 7842410)
Thanks mate .

BTW Is not a negative aspects I hope

U need valid permit to work so - PR necessary
Living in oz- its quite right as employer point of view

shafanm Aug 14th 2009 4:47 pm

Originally Posted by dhama (Post 7843242)
Hi Every one,
for few jobs but hardly any response.. It looks like they want that we should physically present there. Any suggestions. Any way i am moving brisbane on 26th of this august. I am holding a PR and looking for IT jobs. dhama

That is what I have been telling,
Unless you are in a very very highly skilled occupation, most OZ employers would'nt even read no further of your application as soon as they realize your PR is pending.

I have sent many applications but only one responded, by saying to contact them if and when my PR has is granted, the rest not even an acknowledgement:thumbdown:

ronan_in_Oz Aug 14th 2009 5:58 pm

Hi Every one,

Very difficult I would say.

dhama Aug 15th 2009 2:52 am

Yeah. I have PR and moving to brisbane on this 26th. Still no calls. Looks like they need local telephone number. Thanks and regards. Dhama

Originally Posted by ronan_in_Oz (Post 7843868)
Very difficult I would say.

moneypenny20 Aug 15th 2009 4:02 am

Hi Every one,

It's very difficult to get employment in any country if you are not residing there when applying. Let's face it, why would any company be interested in an overseas applicant when there are stacks of qualified people already on the ground. Not saying it can't be done, but it's hard, especially in the current climate.

chilliman Aug 19th 2009 3:24 pm

Originally Posted by helloshivahere (Post 7838682)

Sorry for the delay, just back online following the, hopefully final, interview in London.

My occupation is Supply Chain Manager (Food / Drink industry). I have applied for a number of jobs via seek my key learnings:

1. It really is just a case of keeping on plugging away until eventually a job crops up that is a fit for your experience

2. Having an address in Australia seemed to helped (my step father lives out there)

3. Being prepared to fly out for an interview at short notice also helped

4. Be prepared for alot of interviews (I am on 7 now!)

5. Doing the rounds of consultants really helped with ensuring my CV was right for the Australian job market

6. Already having a PR visa was pretty much essential

Whether this has meant that I have bagged the job or not - I should find out in the next few days!? :fingerscrossed:

mecheng Aug 30th 2009 5:31 pm

Originally Posted by chilliman (Post 7857175)

4. Be prepared for alot of interviews (I am on 7 now!)

You have had 7 interviews so far, bugger me! I hope you got it in the end.

chilliman Sep 1st 2009 10:39 am

Originally Posted by mecheng (Post 7889202)
You have had 7 interviews so far, bugger me! I hope you got it in the end.

Yup its in the bag!! :thumbsup: