Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Help!! Fear of dentists and need a filling!

Help!! Fear of dentists and need a filling!

Old Feb 5th 2008, 12:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

sambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Help!! Fear of dentists and need a filling!

Hey there!

I have had toothache for 3 days now and have finally admitting I might need a filling..............I am on the Gold Coast and am terrified of Dentists. I have also heard they are really expensive. Does anyone have any nice stories of dentists who don't hurt too much and don't charge an arm and a leg. We have private health care, but unfortunately no private dental. I think I can hold out a few more days due to great painkillers.

Any help would be great

Cheers

Est
Old Feb 5th 2008, 1:09 pm
Feeling A Million Pesetas

Scuba Steve has much to be proud ofScuba Steve has much to be proud ofScuba Steve has much to be proud ofScuba Steve has much to be proud ofScuba Steve has much to be proud ofScuba Steve has much to be proud ofScuba Steve has much to be proud ofScuba Steve has much to be proud ofScuba Steve has much to be proud ofScuba Steve has much to be proud ofScuba Steve has much to be proud of
Default Re: Help!! Fear of dentists and need a filling!

Think of blokes in Iraq getting limbs blown off and stuff and stop being such a nancy!
Old Feb 5th 2008, 3:44 pm
Make it happen!!!!

BethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond repute

I find a stiff glass of sherry calms me before I sit in that chair!!!!
I hate the dentist too......eeeewwwwwww
Beth x x
Old Feb 5th 2008, 8:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

sassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sambo76
Hey there!

I have had toothache for 3 days now and have finally admitting I might need a filling..............I am on the Gold Coast and am terrified of Dentists. I have also heard they are really expensive. Does anyone have any nice stories of dentists who don't hurt too much and don't charge an arm and a leg. We have private health care, but unfortunately no private dental. I think I can hold out a few more days due to great painkillers.

Any help would be great

Cheers

Est
Hi there. I can recommend a dentist in Nerang on the Gold Coast. Dr Dale Kim from Hinterland medical practice. He's very very good. In fact i recommended him to all my work colleagues, and they all swear by him. Very reasonable as well.
Old Feb 5th 2008, 8:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

sambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by sassie
Hi there. I can recommend a dentist in Nerang on the Gold Coast. Dr Dale Kim from Hinterland medical practice. He's very very good. In fact i recommended him to all my work colleagues, and they all swear by him. Very reasonable as well.
Cheers loads for that, will have to look him up. Does it take long to get an appointment with him or can you more or less walk in?
Old Feb 5th 2008, 8:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

mad city fan is a splendid one to beholdmad city fan is a splendid one to beholdmad city fan is a splendid one to beholdmad city fan is a splendid one to beholdmad city fan is a splendid one to beholdmad city fan is a splendid one to beholdmad city fan is a splendid one to beholdmad city fan is a splendid one to beholdmad city fan is a splendid one to beholdmad city fan is a splendid one to beholdmad city fan is a splendid one to behold

Hey there!

Any help would be great

Cheers

Est
AWWW I know just how you are feeling I have had toothache since xmas and just kept putting off going i am terrible with dentists but i can no longer suffer in silence my appointment is 22nd feb
sending you some karma
Old Feb 5th 2008, 8:58 pm
you lucky, lucky b'stard!

tomy2tums has much to be proud oftomy2tums has much to be proud oftomy2tums has much to be proud oftomy2tums has much to be proud oftomy2tums has much to be proud oftomy2tums has much to be proud oftomy2tums has much to be proud oftomy2tums has much to be proud oftomy2tums has much to be proud oftomy2tums has much to be proud oftomy2tums has much to be proud of

try 3mg of Dmarzipan (bad spelling), it worked a treat for me.

now I dont use anything at all, I've gotten over the GBH I got off a female dentist.
Old Feb 5th 2008, 10:06 pm
DownUnder

datamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond repute

Be afraid of the bill not the dentist
Old Feb 5th 2008, 10:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond repute

Ask for sedation.

It works, your not completly out but you dont really remember anything.
Hubby said I spoke to them during the fillings but I cant remember.
All I remember is the start and when they say, right all finished!

It works a treat, you need someone else with you. In case your groggy on way home(you cant drive home).

Im not sure of price here as this was in the UK.

Anyway I have real phobia of dentists and after years found a dentist who suggested this. It works a treat.

GEMS
Old Feb 6th 2008, 2:01 am
BE Forum Addict

hoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond repute

Hey there!

Any help would be great

Cheers

Est
Bite the bullet and get it seen to. I had a wisdom tooth last year that really flared up on and off. I managed with it for a couple of months until the pain was unbearable.

I finally went to a dentist to get it fixed, but it was so far gone that it had to be removed and because of the tooth's position, I ended up having it removed in hospital under a general anaesthetic. Even though the operation was done within 2 weeks of seeing the dentist, I was in agony a lot of the time as the painkillers just wouldn't do it.

With no health insurance it cost me $2500 for the surgeon/anesthetist/hospital - and this is for an op that lasted 20 mins tops. Needless to say, I now have private health insurance WITH dental cover.....

Dentists here are expensive, no two ways about it. At least it's not the terrors of NHS Dentists years ago. Please get it sorted - I can guarantee it will get a lot worse at two in the morning on a day when you have no pain killers.
Old Feb 6th 2008, 2:36 am
BE Forum Addict

sassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers loads for that, will have to look him up. Does it take long to get an appointment with him or can you more or less walk in?
Hi. It's a fairly busy practice, so I imagine you would need an appointment. I think they are open Thursday evenings as well, and they also do saturday mornings. If you just say you are in a lot of pain, I'm sure they will try and squeeze you in sooner rather than later.
Old Feb 6th 2008, 3:30 am
Forum Regular

Wade Wrench is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by hoofie2002

Dentists here are expensive, no two ways about it. At least it's not the terrors of NHS Dentists years ago. Please get it sorted - I can guarantee it will get a lot worse at two in the morning on a day when you have no pain killers.

How much does your dental insurance cover? And how much does it cost? I've seen some policies cover dental crowns etc but does it cover the full cost?
Old Feb 6th 2008, 3:32 am
Forum Regular

Wade Wrench is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by datamile
Be afraid of the bill not the dentist
So true. Maybe that's why lots of peeps travel to countries such as Thailand for dental treatment. It's a lot cheaper there but dunno about the quality. Then again, I've been to expensive dentists who don't do such a great job either.
Old Feb 6th 2008, 9:59 am
Loving Perth!

TheHallidays has a brilliant futureTheHallidays has a brilliant futureTheHallidays has a brilliant futureTheHallidays has a brilliant futureTheHallidays has a brilliant futureTheHallidays has a brilliant future
Smile Re: Help!! Fear of dentists and need a filling!

Hey there!

Any help would be great

Cheers

Est
Search for laser dental treatment in your area - our local dentist (Perth so a bit of a distance!) 'drills' for fillings using a laser - no pain and no pain relief required!!
Old Feb 7th 2008, 8:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud of

I can second the suggestion about sedation - it works a treat. Other option is to ask for a Penthrox inhaler which will administer pain relief and take the edge off your nervousness as well. It's a green whistle looking device which some dentists use for particularly phobic patients.
Best of luck with the filling- but remember the longer you leave it, the bigger the bill is likely to be!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.