Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Help- Everyone is very negative on this site

Help- Everyone is very negative on this site

Old Aug 23rd 2002, 10:25 am
Just Joined

LauraF is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Help- Everyone is very negative on this site

I have just returned from a months travelling in OZ & have stayed with my Aunt for a week in Penrith. My husbnd & I are thinking about moving to OZ but only have 110 points, so are considering going via state nomination with either SA or Victoria. What do you think? Also I am a Science teacher - are there are other teachers out there, who have made the move - as I have lots of questions about curriculum, salary etc. Thanks for reading this, I will be even more grateful if you reply.
Old Aug 23rd 2002, 10:37 am
FOX
Forum Regular

FOX is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Help- Everyone is very negative on this site

Hi Laura,

Please don't be put off by recent responses, on the whole everybody here is positive, enthusiastic and supportive, there are also some really knowledgeable people knocking around this site if you need some advice.

Trywww.flyingcompass.com this is also a useful site with lots of info.

Good luck, if you do your homework you will be fine!!

Sarah
Old Aug 23rd 2002, 10:40 am
BE Enthusiast

SuzeM is an unknown quantity at this point

Can't give any constructive advice/info, but I say go for it, you only live once!
Sue
Old Aug 23rd 2002, 11:20 am
Forum Regular

dpr21 is an unknown quantity at this point

Laura

We have recently left Reading and are now living in Perth and loving it. Don't be put off by the perceived negativity - if you count the number of negative comments you'll see that most of them come from a small number of people who repeat the same whinge ad nauseum. Nonetheless, do your homework and remember no matter how great this place, you're leaving home so it'll take a while to adjust.

Good luck - go for it!

DPR
Old Aug 23rd 2002, 2:01 pm
Retired *********

pread is an unknown quantity at this point

Laura,

This forum seems to go in phases - when I first started, there were very few negative posts. In the recent weeks, there have been a LOT more posts extolling Australias downsides rather than it's virtues. Bear in mind that opinions are like assholes - everyone has their own. And people's opinions are often slanted by good/bad experiences, rather than being 100% subjective. Read the good and the bad - make you own informed opinion rather than making a decision based one 1 opinion.

Good luck, might see you in Victoria should you decide to go there!

Cheers,
Paul.

Originally posted by dpr21:
Laura

We have recently left Reading and are now living in Perth and loving it. Don't be put off by the perceived negativity - if you count the number of negative comments you'll see that most of them come from a small number of people who repeat the same whinge ad nauseum. Nonetheless, do your homework and remember no matter how great this place, you're leaving home so it'll take a while to adjust.

Good luck - go for it!

DPR
Old Aug 23rd 2002, 9:19 pm
Jaj

If your aunt sponsors you and you can make 110 points with the 15 points you get from
that, you should be ok, as the skilled sponsored pass mark is 110 (not 115).

Jeremy

>On Fri, 23 Aug 2002 10:25:16 +0000, LauraF <[email protected]> wrote:
    >I have just returned from a months travelling in OZ & have stayed with my Aunt for a
    >week in Penrith. My husbnd & I are thinking about moving to OZ but only have 110
    >points, so are considering going via state nomination with either SA or Victoria.
    >What do you think? Also I am a Science teacher - are there are other teachers out
    >there, who have made the move - as I have lots of questions about curriculum, salary
    >etc. Thanks for reading this, I will be even more grateful if you reply.
    >--
    >Posted via http://britishexpats.com