Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Help - Does my telly etc. work in Oz.

Help - Does my telly etc. work in Oz.

Old May 5th 2005, 7:38 am
Just Joined

mcarton is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Help - Does my telly etc. work in Oz.

I'm just sorting out the final details for my wife (I fly to Sydney tomorrow -Friday 5th May) and someone questioned if my telly will work in Oz.

I have loads of techie bits (bit of a gadget freak) and am now worried they'll be useless out there. :scared:

Quickly does a telly work (it does have scart and composite inputs)
Same with DVD (region 2)
Same with ADSL modems...
Same with normal modems.

Totally slipped my mind all this bit.....

All help etc appreciated.

Mark
Old May 5th 2005, 7:49 am
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help - Does my telly etc. work in Oz.

Originally Posted by mcarton
I'm just sorting out the final details for my wife (I fly to Sydney tomorrow -Friday 5th May) and someone questioned if my telly will work in Oz.

I have loads of techie bits (bit of a gadget freak) and am now worried they'll be useless out there. :scared:

Same with DVD (region 2)
Same with ADSL modems...
Same with normal modems.
Nothing like leaving it late .....

TVs - Australia broadcasts its TV in a different PAL format that that of the UK. Some TVs work and some get pictures but don't pick up sound correctly. If you get cable TV or even just buy a cheap video in Oz and tune your telly through that - no problem.
DVD - Oz is region 4. Have a look at www.vcdhelp.com and look for DVD hacks to see if your player can be converted to multi-region.
ADSL modems - I think they will work but not 100% sure.
56k modems - They will work.
Old May 5th 2005, 7:56 am
Just Joined

mcarton is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by wmoore
Nothing like leaving it late .....
Thanks for that - stopped turning blue...
Old May 5th 2005, 7:56 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, but you need a digibox whether Foxtel or Aus terrestrial type http://www.dba.org.au/index.asp?sectionID=18. Will not work using aerial as we use different PAL so get picture but no sound.
Same with DVD (region 2)
Yes, if you can hack it to multi-region, look on http://www.videohelp.com/dvdhacks
Same with ADSL modems...
Should do as standard technology.
Same with normal modems.
Yes

By the way the DVD player in your computer is zoned as well. You may be able to change firmware. http://tdb.rpc1.org/, read this http://forum.rpc1.org/viewtopic.php?t=239
Old May 5th 2005, 8:18 am
Superfreak!!

Stormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to all

Isn`t there a way all faq`s could be collated into a post and stickeyed???

Wayne???
Old May 5th 2005, 8:27 am
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stormz
Isn`t there a way all faq`s could be collated into a post and stickeyed???

Wayne???
Jeremy already has the Useful Links thread at the top but a quick scan didn't find this info in there. I'll have a think about one for these kind of questions.
Old May 5th 2005, 10:06 am
Superfreak!!

Stormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to all

Just need to make a post with all the VERY frequently asked questions (even if some of them you just ask them to search the forum (like with schools/area`s) first. Then sticky and LOCK the post down.