Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Help........... does the dog go or does he go?

Help........... does the dog go or does he go?

Old Mar 16th 2007, 1:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

esperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help........... does the dog go or does he go?

For anyone who is planning to return to the UK, or even if you think returning might be a possibility, I would say don't take the dog until you are sure. It's a fairly crazy amount of money just to ship them one way, and imo completely unjustifiable to pay it twice! We know we are staying in Oz at least 3 years, whatever happens, and seeing as the dog is three now & we're very happy with him it seems like a good idea to take him. (Although if money was really tight then he would not be coming, but luckily we have some left-over house sale money and we're using that).
If we decide to return to the UK after three years then I think we might well decide to leave the dog with someone in Australia. It just seems like such an insane amount of money to spend on a dog!
Old Mar 16th 2007, 2:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

marvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by pomgrrl
does anyone know how huskies fair in Oz? they are thick coated dogs so worried the heat will be bad for them
also does anyone know if Oz has a kennel club? can you transfer their papers to OZ?
Pomgrrl and the kids(huskies)
Yes, just as big show scene as in UK only not the numbers that we get here, make sure your UK Kennel Club papers haven't got 'not for export' on (if they have just write and get it taken off with a covering letter or better still ask your dogs breeder to remove it as they will have put it on). Then register your Husky when you arrive in Oz with the Australian Kennel Club, you'll need her UK Kennel Club registration papers.

Heat is just about adapting times you walk, ensuring there is always water available. It would seem Oz has a culture of outside dogs which is totally alien to keeping a dog as a companion, they are part of the family and want companionship not 'happier outside' - I'm sure your dog will be fine especially if you have air con in the house!
Old Mar 16th 2007, 2:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

esperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by marvinc
It would seem Oz has a culture of outside dogs which is totally alien to keeping a dog as a companion, they are part of the family and want companionship not 'happier outside'
I don't know... if we leave the doors open the dog will usually choose to lie outside as long as he's happy that he's not missing anything going on inside.
The thing he hates is being put in one place where he can't see exactly what's going on elsewhere - put him out and he wants to come in, leave him in and he wants to come out! (Well tough, he just has to deal with it - he is a DOG after all and it is MY house!)
Old Mar 16th 2007, 2:47 pm
mmmmmm duff

MarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of light

Cooper is like that, he's always at the patio door, either looking in or out, grass is greener syndrome....

Kymba is different, she will happily play outside on her own. She would much rather dig up the flowers than see what we are up to, much more independant.
Old Mar 16th 2007, 2:53 pm
Hot and sweaty member!!

yvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarkMC
We have 2 boxers (Cooper and Kymba) NO WAY are they staying behind.
Dont leave him behind....

My next advise is get another Boxer, they play wicked together!!!!!!!!
I have a boxer (Bella) who is almost 2 years old now and we adore her. We have never owned a boxer before and now I wouldnt own any other kind of dog.
We still have a very old Jack Russell (Maisie) - over 16 years old now. She came with us from England. They both cope very well in the heat and get on really well togerther, although my boxer is a bit boistrous!!
I have said to my hubby, as and when my Jack Russell 'goes' I would like to think about another Boxer but I think my house would be a mad house- it is already haha
Do you think a 2 year old bitch would get on well with a puppy- and who would lead who astray?
Old Mar 16th 2007, 8:29 pm
Happy migrant

Kapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=sj oldfield;4519827]
Originally Posted by ormrod7
Hi there,

Why are Boxers not allowed on BA flights???
Bit strange, as BA and Quantas are partners. You usually fly BA from UK to one of the Asian countries, then Quantas takes over from there?????????
There was a thread on this recently. Apparently certain breeds of dog can't fly now due to potential breathing difficulties. Several other airlines have followed suit.
Old Mar 16th 2007, 9:14 pm
Forum Regular

UK_2_OZ is a jewel in the roughUK_2_OZ is a jewel in the roughUK_2_OZ is a jewel in the roughUK_2_OZ is a jewel in the rough

We have a Golden Retriever and we are hoping to move to oz (Brisbane) next year and we would take our 2 yr old goldie out there. I asked the same question on the ChatGoldens forum were I am a member and I regularly talk to a lady who lives just on the outskirts of Brisbane has and she has 3 goldies and this was her reply to heat and ticks.

We live just on the outskirts of brisbane country like. No we dont have ticks here. maybe its more like farming areas e.t.c mine dont get any ticks and never had here in 18 years. except when we lived near any area that did have cattle & the dogs got out one day & caught a tick. Which we just found it time. they are dangerous if left on your dog but you can get front line e.t.c. You dont have to check everyday if there not in the area.

As for heat yes it does get hot if you have shady trees, pegolia which is a must out here & air con or swimming pools to keep cool.

Hope this helps. I know it is a difficult decision and if our dog was old I would probably try to find her a new home but because she is not quite 2 we didn't hesitate to say we are taking her as she is part of our family and we all love her. Although it is a lot of money (£2300) plus vet and quarantine fees we will take it off the house proceeds when we sell.

Good luck Tracey
Old Mar 17th 2007, 3:56 am
Forum Regular

Willij has a spectacular aura aboutWillij has a spectacular aura aboutWillij has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by breezeboylan
She was like always trying to escape. Dont know about anyone else's dog but mine has managed great and has even improved. I thing 30 days in quarantine was just what she needed to realise what a good home she has
Tracie

Yes,

We've had the same experience with our springer spaniel - he was quite a nervous dog at home (he's a rescue dog) but is much better over here. Plus he loves the garden now - must be all those different smells in it !
Old Mar 23rd 2007, 8:52 pm
Just Joined

cars68 is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Help........... does the dog go or does he go?

hi does anyone know if there is a cheaper way to transport your dog to oz,melbourne, from uk can you do it yourself or do you hhave to use a company, please i need some advice,caroline