Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Help........... does the dog go or does he go?

Help........... does the dog go or does he go?

Old Mar 15th 2007, 3:07 am
BE Forum Addict

breezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Help........... does the dog go or does he go?

Originally Posted by claireg
Thanks Sarah

Its such a hard decision, when we got our boxer he was so distributive - i know boxers are worse than kids ive had them all my life! im worried moving him over there will put us back to square one and how he;s going to cope with the heat etc!! i think im just a born worrier - i keep telling hubby to clean the garage, we've not had the house valued yet!!!

cx
My girl is a German Shepard but like yours was so destructive!! She is 6 now and up until we came over here was still likely to damage the odd thing or to if left alone even for an hour!! She was dreadful for the first two years and cost us literally thousands of pounds worth of damage to the house and garden, noting worked. Since she came over here she has been great. She is a bit quieter due to the heat but thats no bad thing as she was wild before!! She hasn't touched anything not even the garden plants and we leave her alone while we are all out during the day. I think she is happier as she can stay out the back all day if she wants due to the good weather or come into the house via the dog flap to cool down. We can even open the front door and take her out now without a lead and this was something we could never have dreamed of in the U.K. She was like always trying to escape. Dont know about anyone else's dog but mine has managed great and has even improved. I thing 30 days in quarantine was just what she needed to realise what a good home she has
Tracie
Old Mar 15th 2007, 3:36 am
BE Enthusiast

shears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond repute

Hi - just be aware you may need to apply for an import permit 5 months in advance! You need this to book your dog's place in quarantine. Check the aqis website for info:

http://www.daff.gov.au/content/outpu...ntType=outputs
Old Mar 15th 2007, 3:58 am
Never going back

Sleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by claireg
Hi All

We are moving to Brisbane in the very near future and our failmy would'nt be complete without taking our 2 year old boxer dog 'Bailey'
Just a few questions has anyone transported their dog / how much did it cost and how are they managing in the heat.

Thanks look forward to hearing from you
cx
we came out last august with our boxer bitch (turned 4 in november). she has settled great including the heat etc. now an outside dog (although we sneak her in sometimes at night). we too used golden arrow, although i dont think it was that much, she is a smallish boxer. she was poorly in quarantine and they nearly got the vet out to her. i think she was just upset.

she loves the life out here now.
Old Mar 15th 2007, 4:42 am
BE Enthusiast

matt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Claire
We also have a boxer (5yo, Barney), although he's an aussie dog (we got him from the RSCPA).
I'd bring him if I were you. He's only 2 years old, and will adjust to his surroundings.
Lots of crazy dog people on this forum, you'll get lots of advice!
J.
Old Mar 15th 2007, 7:37 am
BE Enthusiast

pomgrrl is a jewel in the roughpomgrrl is a jewel in the roughpomgrrl is a jewel in the roughpomgrrl is a jewel in the roughpomgrrl is a jewel in the rough

does anyone know how huskies fair in Oz? they are thick coated dogs so worried the heat will be bad for them
also does anyone know if Oz has a kennel club? can you transfer their papers to OZ?
Pomgrrl and the kids(huskies)
Old Mar 15th 2007, 7:50 am
Forum Regular

ormrod7 is just really niceormrod7 is just really niceormrod7 is just really niceormrod7 is just really niceormrod7 is just really niceormrod7 is just really niceormrod7 is just really niceormrod7 is just really niceormrod7 is just really niceormrod7 is just really niceormrod7 is just really nice

[QUOTE=sj oldfield;4519827]
Originally Posted by ormrod7
Hi there,

We are leaving in 19 days for Brisbane, and our 4 year old red and white boxer Sammy is leaving on the 3rd April had a bit of trouble with flights as British Airways have just decided they are not allowing Boxers on their flights so he is going with Quantas.

Why are Boxers not allowed on BA flights???
Bit strange, as BA and Quantas are partners. You usually fly BA from UK to one of the Asian countries, then Quantas takes over from there?????????
Not sure why they arn't allowed its just come into force over the last 2 weeks. Golden Arrow rang me with the news.

As for the permit most agencies like Golden Arrow do all that for you the only thing you have to do is take to the vets for blood (that they arrange) and get them to the Shippers and thats it everything else is done for you.

Sarah
Old Mar 15th 2007, 8:09 am
BE Enthusiast

shabee is a glorious beacon of lightshabee is a glorious beacon of lightshabee is a glorious beacon of lightshabee is a glorious beacon of lightshabee is a glorious beacon of lightshabee is a glorious beacon of lightshabee is a glorious beacon of lightshabee is a glorious beacon of lightshabee is a glorious beacon of lightshabee is a glorious beacon of lightshabee is a glorious beacon of light

[QUOTE=ormrod7;4518698]Hi there,

It cost with Golden Arrow £2300.00 thats not including blood tests or Quarantine or flight to Brisbane from Sydney as you probably know there is no quarantine in Brisbane.

Hi There, Mabey a stupid question, but why is there no quarantine in Brisbane.
This may throw a spanner in the works regarding when my Westie leaves Aberdeen.

Sharon
x
Old Mar 15th 2007, 8:12 am
BE Enthusiast

matt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pomgrrl
does anyone know how huskies fair in Oz? they are thick coated dogs so worried the heat will be bad for them
also does anyone know if Oz has a kennel club? can you transfer their papers to OZ?
I've heard they fair pretty well, as the coat acts as insulation and actually keeps them cool in Summer! Someone at work entioned it, as their mum just got one. Don't know if it's true tho.
J.
Old Mar 15th 2007, 8:25 am
Forum Regular

Womat is just really niceWomat is just really niceWomat is just really niceWomat is just really niceWomat is just really niceWomat is just really niceWomat is just really niceWomat is just really niceWomat is just really nice

Originally Posted by pomgrrl
The Siberian Husky Club of NSW:-
http://www.shcnsw.org.au/shcnsw/inde...nsw.id.A000003

From their FAQ page:
It's so hot - should I clip my Siberian?

The short answer is NO, definitely not!! Many people think that because they have so much fur that the Siberian must get very hot. In fact the opposite is true! The undercoat actually acts as insulation, helping to keep your dog warm as well as cool. Most Siberians cope better in the heat than a short coated dog does. Most important is to remember to leave plenty of cool water out and ensure ample shade.

More information on Huskies in Australia and links to other clubs:-
http://www.dogzonline.com.au/breeds/...rian-husky.asp
Old Mar 15th 2007, 8:34 am
BE Enthusiast

pomgrrl is a jewel in the roughpomgrrl is a jewel in the roughpomgrrl is a jewel in the roughpomgrrl is a jewel in the roughpomgrrl is a jewel in the rough

yay!!! my kids are coming!!! thanks guys, all we need to do now is get a visa
Old Mar 15th 2007, 9:43 am
BE Forum Addict

esperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=sj oldfield;4519827]
Originally Posted by ormrod7
We are leaving in 19 days for Brisbane, and our 4 year old red and white boxer Sammy is leaving on the 3rd April had a bit of trouble with flights as British Airways have just decided they are not allowing Boxers on their flights so he is going with Quantas.
Our dog is flying on 3rd April too! Maybe they can be cabin buddies!
Old Mar 15th 2007, 10:40 am
mmmmmm duff

MarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of light

We have 2 boxers (Cooper and Kymba) NO WAY are they staying behind.
Dont leave him behind....

My next advise is get another Boxer, they play wicked together!!!!!!!!

Last edited by MarkMC; Mar 15th 2007 at 10:52 am.
Old Mar 16th 2007, 7:53 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Lal Lal a rural community outside Ballarat VIC, previously Kent England
oliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarkMC
We have 2 boxers (Cooper and Kymba) NO WAY are they staying behind.
Dont leave him behind....

My next advise is get another Boxer, they play wicked together!!!!!!!!
My 2 westies are out of quarantine just over a week now. To be honest they are fine with the heat. They go and lie in the sunshine for a while then sit in the shade, then run around, then sleep, then eat, then do it all over again, no change from england really apart from the lack of sunshine there!We are in a rental, had NO PROBLEMS getting it at all. Its been great to have them here. They have more walks than in England, and not only are they getting healthier but they are having a ball!
Old Mar 16th 2007, 10:05 am
Account Closed

Scott will become famous soon enough

different opinion

leave the dog , spend yer money on something usefull .

(only a suggestion )
Old Mar 16th 2007, 1:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Scrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond repute

Take the dog. When we first went we left our 2 beautiful labradors behind, we were heartbroken.

We still miss them and have regretted not taking them every day.

Mind you, it would have cost us a fortune taking them and then bringing them back to the uk though the fact that we are going back again make me realise how much money they would have actually cost us I suppose in our cirumstances we did the right thing.

Take the dog unless you are worried that you can't afford it.

Mandy

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.