Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

HELP! different school system...

HELP! different school system...

Old Aug 21st 2005, 7:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

tracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond repute
Default HELP! different school system...

HELP! different school system...im confused with the school system in australia... im 16 and ive just finished my gcses and im not wanting to go back to school and want to go straight to collage like i would do over here to study forensic science, but i dont know wether im too young to do that in australia. would i have to go back to school till im 18 and then go to collage to study forensics? does anyone know because i need to know what im going to do when i get over there... please reply!
love hayley xxx
Old Aug 21st 2005, 8:10 pm
nursey

mandi248 is a glorious beacon of lightmandi248 is a glorious beacon of lightmandi248 is a glorious beacon of lightmandi248 is a glorious beacon of lightmandi248 is a glorious beacon of lightmandi248 is a glorious beacon of lightmandi248 is a glorious beacon of lightmandi248 is a glorious beacon of lightmandi248 is a glorious beacon of lightmandi248 is a glorious beacon of lightmandi248 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: HELP! different school system...

Originally Posted by tracey.d
HELP! different school system...im confused with the school system in australia... im 16 and ive just finished my gcses and im not wanting to go back to school and want to go straight to collage like i would do over here to study forensic science, but i dont know wether im too young to do that in australia. would i have to go back to school till im 18 and then go to collage to study forensics? does anyone know because i need to know what im going to do when i get over there... please reply!
love hayley xxx
Sorry Hayley, don't know the answer to that one, but I would also like to know as my daughter is 16 and has just finished her GCSEs.
Hope someone can answer your question.
Good luck
Mandi x
Old Aug 21st 2005, 8:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sandy.l is on a distinguished road

love hayley xxx

Hi Hayley,

I really don't know anything about this personally but I have found a link for you that appears to have info about education and careers in Forensic Science:

http://www.nifs.com.au/

It might be a good starting point for you.

Good luck

Sandy
Old Aug 21st 2005, 9:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

love hayley xxx

Have you looked up www.uq.edu.au That is the university of queensland from memory, I dont know if it does the degree you are looking for but it may be a start.
Old Aug 21st 2005, 9:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

tracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks guys for being so helpful to Hayley. I am so excited that she is taking an interest and appears to have made a final decision about her future. Some of you may know about my worries re whether she was coming with me or not. Well it finally looks like she is .

And for Hayley: Good on ya kid. Really glad you're coming
And I'm very sorry, but you know how honest I am. I have to say your spelling is shocking

I know it's only internet speak and you can spell really
Old Aug 21st 2005, 9:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

mand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond repute

School here in QLD goes to the end of year 12 so if you want to go to uni you might have to do that.
Old Aug 22nd 2005, 7:43 am
BE Enthusiast

NIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really nice

love hayley xxx
Hello

Schools in Australia go through to year 12, then it is on to University (which is where I believe you would study forensic science).

You can generally not get into uni without your HSC / VCE (they call it different things in different states). This does not necessarily apply to mature age students, but this does not kick in until 21, so does not apply to you.

The concept of 'college' as it is in the UK does not exist in Australia. School is school, university is university. There really is not much 'in between' which is what the UK college system appears to be.

That said, it would be worth checking around on the internet for TAFE, which is a little more flexible about letting people in and finding if there is an 'entry course' to university which may give you a head start.

Good luck
Old Aug 22nd 2005, 12:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of

The concept of 'college' as it is in the UK does not exist in Australia. School is school, university is university. There really is not much 'in between' which is what the UK college system appears to be.

That said, it would be worth checking around on the internet for TAFE, which is a little more flexible about letting people in and finding if there is an 'entry course' to university which may give you a head start.

Good luck[/QUOTE]

Have to disagree with your comments on lack of colleges. We have many TAFE courses here that people can do to get into Uni. There are a few local ones around here and they are really popular. They also have more hands on practical subjects available.
Old Aug 22nd 2005, 1:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

NIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really nice

Originally Posted by tinaj

Good luck
Have to disagree with your comments on lack of colleges. We have many TAFE courses here that people can do to get into Uni. There are a few local ones around here and they are really popular. They also have more hands on practical subjects available.[/QUOTE]

Hello

TAFES are excellent (and I did not mean to imply anything else). I did not get the marks to get into the Uni course I wanted, so I went (After completing my HSC) into a TAFE, two year course. After completion it let me directly into second year Uni in the course I wanted in the first place. I am now doing post grad work.

However they are not the 'in between' that UK colleges appear to be. People go to college to do their A levels here they do the equivalent at school, that is not what TAFE is about. My implication about TAFE was that it may be more flexible, however to get into alot of the TAFE courses you still need your HSC (year 12).
Old Aug 22nd 2005, 11:33 pm
ABCDiamond

love hayley xxx
Does this help ?

Queensland school leaving information: http://education.qld.gov.au/etrf/faq-leg.html#FAQs_2

From 1 January 2006 the minimum school leaving age will be raised from 15 to 16 years or when a student has completed Year 10, whichever comes first. After this, the "compulsory participation phase" will commence. This phase ends when a young person -
* Gains a Senior Certificate or Certificate III (vocational qualification); or
* Has participated in eligible options for 2 years (eg. an educational program provided by a school, a course of higher education provided by a university or other provider, a TAFE course, an apprenticeship or traineeship); or
* Turns 17.

A young person's parents will be obliged to ensure he or she participates as required. This obligation does not apply where the young person is in paid employment for at least 25 hours per week or is under an employment exemption within the Vocational Education, Training and Employment Act 2000.