Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Help... decisions, to go or not to go....???

Help... decisions, to go or not to go....???

Old May 25th 2005, 7:50 pm
Just Joined

matt`n`shaz is on a distinguished road
Smile Help... decisions, to go or not to go....???

Your views or advice would be much appreciated .....

My husband and I (plus 2 young kids) are considering moving to Oz, possibly around the Brisbane area. (comments on suburbs please)

One day we are going and the next day we are not!!! What are we going for? A bigger house, weather, outdoor lifestyle, a better future for the kids??

We cannot apply until March 2007 due to Matt needing 6 years work experience as an Air Conditioning engineer. Planning to go to Brisbane on hols next May to do some research, areas, jobs, schools etc....

We are trying to find out the approx salary for his trade, how much money we can borrow, etc etc. We would have approximately £90,000 as a deposit for a house.

It looks as if the visa application process is a mine field. Is it easier to go through a visa agent??

Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

Sharon & Matt
Southampton

Last edited by matt`n`shaz; May 25th 2005 at 8:39 pm.
Old May 25th 2005, 7:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

tracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help... decisions, to go or not to go....???

Originally Posted by matt`n`shaz

My husband and I (plus 2 young kids) are considering moving to Oz, possibly around the Brisbane area. One day we are going and the next day we are not!!! What are we going for? A bigger house, weather, outdoor lifestyle, a better future for the kids??

We cannot apply until March 2007 due to Matt needing 6 years work experience as an Air Conditioning engineer. Planning to go to Brisbane on hols next May to do some research, areas, jobs, schools etc....

We are trying to find out the approx salary for his trade, how much money we can borrow, etc etc. We would have approximately £90,000 as a deposit for a house.

It looks as if the visa application process is a mine field. Is it easier to go through a visa agent??

Sharon & Matt
Southampton
Hi,
The view on agents or not, I would imagine, will differ slightly on here!
Personally I used an agent. Although it cost a few bob extra we felt it was worth it to take the hassle out of it for us. I don't regret doing it at all. We just sent him the documents as he requested them. He e-mailed me the link to the forms I needed so I just printed them all off the computer. Sent them off to him and he sorted everything out. No problems. That was from start to finish including the skills assessment bit. So, in my opinion well worth the money if you can afford it and find a reputable agent.

Good luck with whatever you decide.
Tracey.
Old May 25th 2005, 8:08 pm
NAC
BE Enthusiast

NAC is a jewel in the roughNAC is a jewel in the roughNAC is a jewel in the roughNAC is a jewel in the rough

My husband and I (plus 2 young kids) are considering moving to Oz, possibly around the Brisbane area. One day we are going and the next day we are not!!! What are we going for? A bigger house, weather, outdoor lifestyle, a better future for the kids??

Sharon & Matt
Southampton
Hi Sharon and Matt

We are heading to Brisbane this year also with two children (5 and 3). I can't really help with the salary side of things but I think your doubts are sensible and normal. We have had a lot of concerns re the cost of living which is a lot higher than I think many realise. If salaries are less then will you really have a higher standard of living? Maybe the financial side will be out-weighed by the quality of life but I don't think you will really know until you give it a go
It is something we really really want to do. We have waited a long time to get to this stage (I also had to wait before applying to meet criteria) and we are really excited about it. We have done loads of research but at the end of the day until we have been living there for a few years I don't think you can really imagine what it is like. Nothing can prepare you for it - you have to experience it (a bit like being a parent, I think ). It would be easy for us to say, let's forget it and stay where we are but I know we would regret it in a few years. You only have one life and you have to make the most of it. Once the seed has been planted you have to give it a chance.
Anyway, enough as I start to waffle With regard to using an Agent there is varying opinions. We did use one (although I would NOT recommend them!) because we thought it would help with the stress!! Even with an Agent you still do most of the work yourself and I would say that if you have a straightforward application then give it a go yourself. The hardest bit is the skills assessment - the actual Visa application is very simple and you will get loads of advice on this forum.

Good luck with your decision

Carolyn
Old May 25th 2005, 8:16 pm
Just Joined

Smile Re: Help... decisions, to go or not to go....???

Originally Posted by tracey.d
Hi,
The view on agents or not, I would imagine, will differ slightly on here!
Personally I used an agent. Although it cost a few bob extra we felt it was worth it to take the hassle out of it for us. I don't regret doing it at all. We just sent him the documents as he requested them. He e-mailed me the link to the forms I needed so I just printed them all off the computer. Sent them off to him and he sorted everything out. No problems. That was from start to finish including the skills assessment bit. So, in my opinion well worth the money if you can afford it and find a reputable agent.

Good luck with whatever you decide.
Tracey.
Thanks very much, its great to get some advice - excellent website!!
Old May 25th 2005, 8:19 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by NAC
Hi Sharon and Matt

We are heading to Brisbane this year also with two children (5 and 3). I can't really help with the salary side of things but I think your doubts are sensible and normal. We have had a lot of concerns re the cost of living which is a lot higher than I think many realise. If salaries are less then will you really have a higher standard of living? Maybe the financial side will be out-weighed by the quality of life but I don't think you will really know until you give it a go
It is something we really really want to do. We have waited a long time to get to this stage (I also had to wait before applying to meet criteria) and we are really excited about it. We have done loads of research but at the end of the day until we have been living there for a few years I don't think you can really imagine what it is like. Nothing can prepare you for it - you have to experience it (a bit like being a parent, I think ). It would be easy for us to say, let's forget it and stay where we are but I know we would regret it in a few years. You only have one life and you have to make the most of it. Once the seed has been planted you have to give it a chance.
Anyway, enough as I start to waffle With regard to using an Agent there is varying opinions. We did use one (although I would NOT recommend them!) because we thought it would help with the stress!! Even with an Agent you still do most of the work yourself and I would say that if you have a straightforward application then give it a go yourself. The hardest bit is the skills assessment - the actual Visa application is very simple and you will get loads of advice on this forum.

Good luck with your decision

Carolyn
Thanks very much, I expect nearly everyone has the same feelings and reservations - but you are right, what have you got to lose - we only live once!! What suburbs are you looking at in Brisbane?
Old May 25th 2005, 9:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

mand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond repute

the way I look ar it is that you will never know unless you give it a try. As you say you only live once. I did not want to get to retirement and look back and think "i wish".
We have been here in Brisbane now 4 months and have ups and downs. There is no way I miss England as a country, it is people sickness. But then, I take a look around ( we live bayside, in Ormiston) and we can see the water on our way home, there are lots of cycle tracks and it is only a short walk to cleveland marina, where there is a nice restaurant suitable for kids. We sit outside looking at the marina. Maybe things aren't cheaper but where in England can you sit outside for a nice meal in Autumn?
Old May 25th 2005, 9:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

micky will become famous soon enoughmicky will become famous soon enough

Hi Sharon & Matt,
we had the same dilemma 3 years ago. Got PR visas for 6 (2ad&4ch) of us and decided the time wasn't right for ALOT of reasons. I was the only one who validated as main applicant (skilled independent) - NO AGENT.
so..........nearly 3 years later we had to apply for hubby and kids under spouse visa as their visas had been cancelled - NO AGENT again & ex hubby involved again.
4 weeks from application - visas granted.

I personally wouldn't use an agent.

Shona xx

I felt we had a complicated case - ex hubby and previously all been issued with PR visas.

I would suggest trying yourselves. Save a fortune mate

Skilled independent - NO AGENT

3 years later
Old May 26th 2005, 5:14 am
NAC
BE Enthusiast

NAC is a jewel in the roughNAC is a jewel in the roughNAC is a jewel in the roughNAC is a jewel in the rough

Thanks very much, I expect nearly everyone has the same feelings and reservations - but you are right, what have you got to lose - we only live once!! What suburbs are you looking at in Brisbane?

We really like the sound of Bayside area but are hoping to get out in June and have a scout around

Carolyn
Old May 26th 2005, 5:44 am
ABCDiamond

My husband and I (plus 2 young kids) are considering moving to Oz, possibly around the Brisbane area. (comments on suburbs please)

One day we are going and the next day we are not!!! What are we going for? A bigger house, weather, outdoor lifestyle, a better future for the kids??

Sharon & Matt
Southampton
As mand8002 says "you will never know unless you give it a try"

Come over and see what it's like next May, that sounds like a good option

comments on suburbs please It depends a lot on what are you looking for ?

I am biased towards towards Bayside, because it suits ME Others prefer even closer to the CBD; for work reasons or, for the younger set - the night life Then some prefer going further west of Brisbane where property can be cheaper, due to land being more available and therefore cheaper.

You have 2-3 years to go before moving here by the looks of it, so your financial position could change by then ? With property prices moving both in UK and here. But with £90k at todays rates, that gives you 50% or so towards the cost of a reasonable house in many areas. Or even more in some areas.

If you stick around on this forum until your trip here, you will learn a lot, and maybe even make some friends that can help with more details on areas etc

Good luck

Old May 27th 2005, 3:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

Robbo2 is a name known to allRobbo2 is a name known to allRobbo2 is a name known to allRobbo2 is a name known to allRobbo2 is a name known to allRobbo2 is a name known to allRobbo2 is a name known to allRobbo2 is a name known to allRobbo2 is a name known to allRobbo2 is a name known to allRobbo2 is a name known to all

We are trying to find out the approx salary for his trade, how much money we can borrow, etc etc. We would have approximately ?90,000 as a deposit for a house.

Sharon & Matt
Southampton

Found you!!!
Do give me a call and pop in for a coffee Sharon!
It's such a small world really!
Claire (from school)
P.S. The "meet" I was telling you about is http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=302775
Old May 27th 2005, 6:09 pm
Legal immigrant

Lee Family has a reputation beyond reputeLee Family has a reputation beyond reputeLee Family has a reputation beyond reputeLee Family has a reputation beyond reputeLee Family has a reputation beyond reputeLee Family has a reputation beyond reputeLee Family has a reputation beyond reputeLee Family has a reputation beyond reputeLee Family has a reputation beyond reputeLee Family has a reputation beyond reputeLee Family has a reputation beyond repute

We are trying to find out the approx salary for his trade, how much money we can borrow, etc etc. We would have approximately ?90,000 as a deposit for a house.

Sharon & Matt
Southampton
Hi. we are off to Brisbane this August for 3 weeks to see friends who moved there last year and to check it out for ourselves, i'm a refrigeration engineer (mainly supermarkets). Are you having to wait till March due to Matt not having any official qualifications in A/C? as i work with someone who is also having to wait till 2007 before they have enough time served to hopefully pass the TRA assesment. we are going to be checking out wellington point victoria point and the thornlands area as well as a few others no doubt

Jon
Old May 27th 2005, 7:03 pm
Just Joined

Cool Re: Help... decisions, to go or not to go....???

Originally Posted by Lee Family
Hi. we are off to Brisbane this August for 3 weeks to see friends who moved there last year and to check it out for ourselves, i'm a refrigeration engineer (mainly supermarkets). Are you having to wait till March due to Matt not having any official qualifications in A/C? as i work with someone who is also having to wait till 2007 before they have enough time served to hopefully pass the TRA assesment. we are going to be checking out wellington point victoria point and the thornlands area as well as a few others no doubt

Jon
Hi Jon

Matt has an NVQ2 in Refrigeration and Air Conditioning, as he hasn't got the NVQ3 (or apprenticeship) he needs to have 6 years experience. He changed careers and has been an air conditioning engineer for just over 4 years after completing a part time 2 year course. Hopefully we can convince the TRA that he has enough experience. One visa agency mentioned 7 years and another said 6 years experience is needed, hopefully the job will still be on the skills shortages list come 2007!

Please let us know what you find out about the suburbs, as they are similar suburbs we are interested in. We are also trying to find out salaries and benefits on offer to air conditioning engineers, one website said $876 per week, most jobs advertised do not state the salaries.

Have a great trip!!

Sharon & Matt
Old May 27th 2005, 10:19 pm
Legal immigrant

Lee Family has a reputation beyond reputeLee Family has a reputation beyond reputeLee Family has a reputation beyond reputeLee Family has a reputation beyond reputeLee Family has a reputation beyond reputeLee Family has a reputation beyond reputeLee Family has a reputation beyond reputeLee Family has a reputation beyond reputeLee Family has a reputation beyond reputeLee Family has a reputation beyond reputeLee Family has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Jon

Matt has an NVQ2 in Refrigeration and Air Conditioning, as he hasn't got the NVQ3 (or apprenticeship) he needs to have 6 years experience. He changed careers and has been an air conditioning engineer for just over 4 years after completing a part time 2 year course. Hopefully we can convince the TRA that he has enough experience. One visa agency mentioned 7 years and another said 6 years experience is needed, hopefully the job will still be on the skills shortages list come 2007!

Please let us know what you find out about the suburbs, as they are similar suburbs we are interested in. We are also trying to find out salaries and benefits on offer to air conditioning engineers, one website said $876 per week, most jobs advertised do not state the salaries.

Have a great trip!!

Sharon & Matt
i have spoken to an engineer (supermarket) in Sydney who told me that with overtime he earned $100,000 last year i have a link somewhere for the wage agreement for his company i will try to dig it out as it shows all the benefits he gets.

We went to York show last weekend with a mate who also wants to go to Oz, he was speaking to one of the agents there and they told him he needed 20 years experience as he has no qualifications checked on here for him and on the TRA website and it appears 6 years is req' just goes to show there are some useless agents out there just after your money

Jon
Old May 27th 2005, 10:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

hilary6 has a reputation beyond reputehilary6 has a reputation beyond reputehilary6 has a reputation beyond reputehilary6 has a reputation beyond reputehilary6 has a reputation beyond reputehilary6 has a reputation beyond reputehilary6 has a reputation beyond reputehilary6 has a reputation beyond reputehilary6 has a reputation beyond reputehilary6 has a reputation beyond reputehilary6 has a reputation beyond repute

I look at it this way;
How would you feel if you found out that you had no chance of going :scared:
personally we'd be gutted so me thinks its the right thing for us
As for agents if you think you can diy then go for it and save the cash if not use an agent
Best of luck
Hilary
Old May 28th 2005, 7:05 am
Just Joined

Hi Jon

Thanks for that information, we have certainly come across a lot of conflicting stories! Best not to get our hopes up too much. We are planning a reccie next May, if we like it we will apply, if not we would have had a great holiday

It seems the Bayside area is very popular - any comments on good infant/junior schools would be great.

Thanks

Sharon & Matt

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.